• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Actually, "Spreadsheet Phil" was making the point that public sector workers pensions are worth some 10% more than private sector ones.According to him, there's been parity of wages in the private/public sector since the 2008 crash.

I know what he said and he's right. Wages are higher too. Perhaps some sort of cap on pay rises would be appropriate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40480766

I know what he said and he's right. Wages are higher too. Perhaps some sort of cap on pay rises would be appropriate?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40480766

I believe there is a cap on public service pay rises atm but there won't be after the next GE as Labour are pledged to abolish it.:winking:

PS I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Lamont says if I were you.After all he was the person responsible for Black Wednesday under John Major.

I believe there is a cap on public service pay rises atm but there won't be after the next GE as Labour are pledged to abolish it.:winking:

PS I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Lamont says if I were you.After all he was the person responsible for Black Wednesday under John Major.

The Chancellor was at it as well this morning on the Andrew Marr Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40623343

The Tories had a utilities bills cap in their manifesto but is one of many pledges binned now they are in power. With British Gas announcing a 12.5% increase so soon after the election I wonder if they expect another election to be held in the near future and taking this a a window of opportunity that could soon close.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41258026

See the Maybot's snap general election cost a cool 140 million quid+.

Money well spent,obviously.
plus the billion extra for Northern Ireland that didn't feature in the manifesto. Today the DUP voted with Labour to defeat the government on the pay cap. Which begs the question 'what exactly are DUP expected to do to get the £1 billion?' if they are free to vote against the government it sounds like a very poor deal (especially as the funds are to come from 'a growing economy').

"People voting Conservative in the election had a greater level of political knowledge than Labour voters."

"Even after we take account of a whole host of other things, like age and income, people with low political knowledge who used the internet to get their election news tended to like Jeremy Corbyn and dislike Theresa May."

I don't suppose anyone is really surprised by any of this are they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41349409

"People voting Conservative in the election had a greater level of political knowledge than Labour voters."

"Even after we take account of a whole host of other things, like age and income, people with low political knowledge who used the internet to get their election news tended to like Jeremy Corbyn and dislike Theresa May."

I don't suppose anyone is really surprised by any of this are they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41349409

I would also say not only political knowledge but also a greater understanding and acceptance of actually how western capitalist economies work and prosper and what they need to continue to do so.

I would also say not only political knowledge but also a greater understanding and acceptance of actually how western capitalist economies work and prosper and what they need to continue to do so.
food banks, falling wages verses cost of living, house prices so high that those under 30 have very little chance of ever being home owners other than via inheritance, transport from the commuter belt South of London that is completely unreliable and throughout the country its overpriced and overcrowded, NHS meltdown due again as the winter draws closer, tax avoiding companies being allowed to take over from established companies that support our economy, DWP punishments against the vulnerable and UN pronouncements against our government's treatment of the disabled, school shortages being propped up by schools set up with no requirement of educational experience, the 'bonfire of health and safety laws' leading to fires in tower blocks, massive reduction in police and fire brigade numbers at the time where we are on terror alert, I mean this is just every day normal people stuff, this isn't thinking about the big ticket items - trade, foreign affairs, investment, currency value, national credit rating, blah blah

I guess this is the reward for having ' a greater understanding and acceptance of actually how western capitalist economies work and prosper'

food banks, falling wages verses cost of living, house prices so high that those under 30 have very little chance of ever being home owners other than via inheritance, transport from the commuter belt South of London that is completely unreliable and throughout the country its overpriced and overcrowded, NHS meltdown due again as the winter draws closer, tax avoiding companies being allowed to take over from established companies that support our economy, DWP punishments against the vulnerable and UN pronouncements against our government's treatment of the disabled, school shortages being propped up by schools set up with no requirement of educational experience, the 'bonfire of health and safety laws' leading to fires in tower blocks, massive reduction in police and fire brigade numbers at the time where we are on terror alert, I mean this is just every day normal people stuff, this isn't thinking about the big ticket items - trade, foreign affairs, investment, currency value, national credit rating, blah blah

I guess this is the reward for having ' a greater understanding and acceptance of actually how western capitalist economies work and prosper'

I'm not arguing with any of that ***. Life is unfair and it stinks at times but what I'm talking about is who and what actually pulls the strings and dictates policy in a capitalist and consumerist economy such as our own. The problems this country faces mean absolutely nothing to those that have vested interests in maintaining the status quo, that's where the real power lies.

There's a reason we haven't had a true to it's roots Labour government in this country since the 70's and that isn't likely to change any time soon. Far too many people have far too much to lose to let that happen.

I'm not arguing with any of that ***. Life is unfair and it stinks at times but what I'm talking about is who and what actually pulls the strings and dictates policy in a capitalist and consumerist economy such as our own. The problems this country faces mean absolutely nothing to those that have vested interests in maintaining the status quo, that's where the real power lies.

There's a reason we haven't had a true to it's roots Labour government in this country since the 70's and that isn't likely to change any time soon. Far too many people have far too much to lose to let that happen.
that is / was a valid thought process and led to Blair - and I think the Blair government did a lot of good - where Labour were encouraged to tack right in order to be electable. The scene is now being set for a Labour government that doesn't need to be watered down. When presented to the public on a policy by policy basis the public are embracing a left wing agenda. No guarantees at this point but its looking like pandering to the status quo is not something that has to be done (and the fear expressed by the Telegraph yesterday about the momentum that Labour have indicates they believe this to be the case)

Back