• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was this season a success?

• Yes, it's been successful

Votes: 198 77.6%
  • More or less as should be expected

Votes: 49 19.2%
  • No, it was a failure

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters
The championship is littered with ex prem clubs is probably why only 3 drop.
The National league however is a disgrace only allowing 2 up.

But wouldn't they be outvoted, if it came to it.

I assume, probably wrongly, that the 72 EFL Clubs would get a vote each on the subject?

TV companies would vote for it, as it would create more interest and more to play for.

We were 23rd back in October (I think it was) and I bet £10 we'd go down, I happily (sort of!) paid up!

But wouldn't they be outvoted, if it came to it.

I assume, probably wrongly, that the 72 EFL Clubs would get a vote each on the subject?

TV companies would vote for it, as it would create more interest and more to play for.

Its just like when the bottom 4 of the old 4th division who had to re apply for status...clubs were rarely kicked out.

I bet the championship are gutted Burton survived...and would be mortified if Fleetwood go up.

Financially , i dont think it would be classed as a success nor a failure.
Attendances were down on what was wanted, primarily, i would say, down to the poor start. I would anticipate that wages were up.
Little tv revenue to boost the coffers and the Payne/Bentley money appear to have been accrued in last years accounts, so I would anticipate a substantial loss this year.
That said, if the increase in expendiditure is a short term plan to improve performances and up the attendances / exposure in light of the new stadium being just a season or two away, I can see the sense in it , its just not a long term strategy I can see working.

The championship is littered with ex prem clubs is probably why only 3 drop.
The National league however is a disgrace only allowing 2 up.
Equally relegation to the National League is pretty much the death of some clubs, doing it to 2 is bad enough let alone 3.

Look at the likes of York, Boston, Stockport, Torquay. At this rate Orient could be joining them.

Equally relegation to the National League is pretty much the death of some clubs, doing it to 2 is bad enough let alone 3.

Look at the likes of York, Boston, Stockport, Torquay. At this rate Orient could be joining them.

Those 4 clubs were alway's floundering,indeed Boston were promoted from the conference,look at Lincoln they have enjoyed their best season for a long time...would an extra two clubs dropping down make that much difference.

Basically turning the conference into Div 5 with 4 ùp and down, would put financial pressure on clubs they were not ready to face.
Braintree would have had to turn pro, for example , probably lost some players who got them up because they didnt want to take the cut in money two jobs were bringing. The increase in costs of a full time staff would mean that they would struggle. Plus the attendances would not be enough.
All it would do imho, is increase the number of smaller clubs overspending trying to stay in the league,
Sure some clubs make a go of it for a couple of seasons Burton, Fleetwood, but there are more of have capitulated totally, like Maidstone, Rushden

The other option is to uniform it the other way, so it's 3 up, 3 down in all divisions.

This certainly seems fairer for the National League. This would still need 4 down, as the leagues below are regionalized.

However, the top 2 plus play-off winners in the National League, are certainly well enough if not better equipped for League Two than those struggling to survive in there.

The other option is to uniform it the other way, so it's 3 up, 3 down in all divisions.

This certainly seems fairer for the National League. This would still need 4 down, as the leagues below are regionalized.

However, the top 2 plus play-off winners in the National League, are certainly well enough if not better equipped for League Two than those struggling to survive in there.

Agree with this, Tranmere have got 95 points and have to go through the play-offs.

Back to us after the first two games against Gillingham, who would have thought we would finish 7th and they would end up 5th from bottom and only a point above the relegation zone!

Now the wave of disappointment has washed over us all. We have to view the outcome of the entire season as a success.
Poor start and wasted opportunities throughout the season dug us a big hole.
However, we've improved again, better quality squad, some impressive game performances, close to play-offs. Doesn't mean we can't want more, maybe not expect more. The key to future success on the field next year will be keeping this team together, especially the key players and then add only quality to it. As a long term "shrimper" fan, due to past experiences, getting promoted, being mediocre, or being relegated will always be on the menu at the start of any new season. We go again next year.

Simon Cox‏@SCoxy31Real
After reflection on the season it has been full of highs and lows but being around this group of players has been a pleasure. I hope we can keep this group together and if we can add a few players we will be a force next season. Thanks for your support and see you all next season.

Yes, well said Simon Cox. Only an offside goal for Millwall at Bristol prevented you taking part in the play-offs. Have a great holiday and come back refreshed, fit and up for it from the first match next season.

Those 4 clubs were alway's floundering,indeed Boston were promoted from the conference,look at Lincoln they have enjoyed their best season for a long time...would an extra two clubs dropping down make that much difference.

That's really harsh on Torquay in particular! I remember seeing them win promotion at our very own ground at the end of the 2003/4 season!

Yes, Torquay were always a well established and well run club. It was always a pleasure to watch the Shrimpers at Plainmoor. I remember Britt Assombolonga and Gavin Tomlin tearing them apart in 2012, scoring two each.

The Gulls decline and fall has been quite tragic:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ear-relegation-losing-home-96-years-plainmoor

Fortunately they somehow managed to win all three of their final games and stay in the National League. How much longer they will survive though is a moot point.......

Yes, Torquay were always a well established and well run club. It was always a pleasure to watch the Shrimpers at Plainmoor. I remember Britt Assombolonga and Gavin Tomlin tearing them apart in 2012, scoring two each.

The Gulls decline and fall has been quite tragic:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ear-relegation-losing-home-96-years-plainmoor

Fortunately they somehow managed to win all three of their final games and stay in the National League. How much longer they will survive though is a moot point.......

I recall their stadium being in the middle of a housing estate. I know many are, but this one just looked totally in the wrong place.

That's really harsh on Torquay in particular! I remember seeing them win promotion at our very own ground at the end of the 2003/4 season!

Their last 12 seasons has seen 2 promotion and 3 relegations with two of those into non league.

20th,9th,21st,19th,9th,3rd P,R,20th,24th,P,17th,7th,19th,24th R.

I recall their stadium being in the middle of a housing estate. I know many are, but this one just looked totally in the wrong place.
Great ground to have a over nighter plus the added advantage of the Hole in the wall ale house in the town recommended by our man out West Rob Noxous, real ale a plenty,we need the Gulls back.

Back