• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
The NHS is up to it's neck in Ransomware chaos along with GP surgeries and another 1oo countries also affected and Angela Rudd weighs in with this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39906019

I have no doubt that the NHS IT systems are in need of investment and in an ideal world this would have been avoided but we don't live in an ideal world. By all means offer feedback after everything is back up and working, but to launch this sort of comment so early into the breach is pretty low in my view. Of course, the Government could identify and offer the necessary funding to help the NHS achieve upgrades, yeah, right. I worked in the Public Sector for over 47 years and I always found that a supportive word from Ministers helped a lot when the manure had hit the fan.

The NHS has evidently been wasting too much money on 'diversity coordinators', free gastric bands and modern art and not enough on IT. Apparently NHS trusts were sent a patch last month that, if applied, could have stopped this attack.

Probably would have been far more effectively managed and run by an outsourced IT provider.

Genuine question - Do you know of any Central Government Organisation who's IT is effectively managed by an outsourced IT provider? I've encountered too many in the past and profit is far more important than effectiveness. I'm sure the NHS could do IT better but that wasn't the point of my original post.

Genuine question - Do you know of any Central Government Organisation who's IT is effectively managed by an outsourced IT provider? I've encountered too many in the past and profit is far more important than effectiveness. I'm sure the NHS could do IT better but that wasn't the point of my original post.

Having spent a large chunk of my former working life in Public Sector IT on both sides of that particular fence, I've seen a few that were run ok, and a few that were run shockingly. Of the latter, the purchasing organisation soon found out that it's vaunted "cheap" deal was a pared down, unfit service which would in the end cost an arm and a leg to bring up to scratch. That is not to say that there aren't a lot of good people in outsourcing, but personal belief is that govt organisations have to spend so much money on resources to manage their contractors that they may as well have retained an inhouse capability in the first place.

But having retired , I don't have to think about all that any more, and I can relax and chill out without a care in the world...

...Nurse, I say NURSE, WHERE IS MY MID-MORNING MILK??

Having spent a large chunk of my former working life in Public Sector IT on both sides of that particular fence, I've seen a few that were run ok, and a few that were run shockingly. Of the latter, the purchasing organisation soon found out that it's vaunted "cheap" deal was a pared down, unfit service which would in the end cost an arm and a leg to bring up to scratch. That is not to say that there aren't a lot of good people in outsourcing, but personal belief is that govt organisations have to spend so much money on resources to manage their contractors that they may as well have retained an inhouse capability in the first place.

But having retired , I don't have to think about all that any more, and I can relax and chill out without a care in the world...

...Nurse, I say NURSE, WHERE IS MY MID-MORNING MILK??

I agree with you that there are some very good people in some of the outsourcing organisations. Often they are ex public servants shipped across post outsourcing. What I saw was that often In-House teams were great but they were not given the budgets necessary to do their job to its best effect. Outsourcing was often the management/Govt mantra but it seldom, if ever, delivered the savings and quality of services promised. Interestingly HMRC have finally ditched the Aspire contract and are going for smaller parcels of work managed by commercial companies, but they also intend to grow in-house teams for critical work.

Back