• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We need to consider potential additional clauses with regards to selling Lenny or keeping him for another year and letting him walk next summer. A bid of say £300k isn't worth accepting considering what Lenny brings to us but any sell-on could net us a pretty penny in the future. That should play a part in Ron's thinking. We'd be in a much better bargaining position if RL was under 24.

Blues reject Sheffield United's bid for Leonard

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has confirmed the Shrimpers have rejected an offer for Ryan Leonard, believed to be from Championship newcomers Sheffield United.

More...

Don't forget from Lenny's point of view, if he sees out a contract with us this season, next year he can demand a little more from any club looking to sign him. For example, if Sheff Utd decide that Leonard is worth investing £1.5m over the next 3 years and we want 500k as a transfer fee, he'll 'only' see £1m in wages. If he waits till next summer, he can negotiate to try and collect some of that additional 500k himself as a signing on bonus for example. He's also likely to have far more options next year when teams haven't got to pay us for him.

Of course, he could get injured/ lose form etc, but worth his consideration anyway.

People saying we should get a million for him are living in dreamland, I'm afraid. Yes we got decent fees for Bentley and Payne but they're younger than Leonard and were done through tribunals. Leonard is 25 so he's probably at or close to his peak right now. No club's going to fork out a million for him with one year left on his contract. Apparently Sheffield United paid around 150k for James Hanson, they're not going to pay loads more than that for Leonard. I'd take 500k for him, we've had six good years out of him considering he was a free transfer.

Today!

Happy Birthday Lenny!

The key point about his value is that he's out of contract at the end of the season. Effectively it would be £250k for a year loan.

Nicky Bailey, Jack Payne and Kane Ferdinand to name a few.

Jack Payne , incorrect .... he didn't want to sign a new contract, on the back of 1 full season. We , I understand , did ok out of that deal as well .

Jack Payne , incorrect .... he didn't want to sign a new contract, on the back of 1 full season. We , I understand , did ok out of that deal as well .

Sorry, what was incorrect? It was on about Ron getting the best deals. Someone said he got it wrong with Mohsni. £600k for Payne was an excellent piece of business.

Sorry, what was incorrect? It was on about Ron getting the best deals. Someone said he got it wrong with Mohsni. £600k for Payne was an excellent piece of business.

I think TTS is suggesting the deal was out of Rons hands.

Some of the amounts that people think Lenny is worth with only 1 year left on his contract are ridiculous. If he has 2-3 years then maybe some would be nearer the mark. I personally don't think we would get much more than 200k.

Some of the amounts that people think Lenny is worth with only 1 year left on his contract are ridiculous. If he has 2-3 years then maybe some would be nearer the mark. I personally don't think we would get much more than 200k.

Then I am eternally grateful that Ron has not recruited you as his personal advisor.

So we are in agreement ... sorry, my bad. Currently travelling and very tired. I apologise . You are correct, Payne was an excellent deal as well

Then I am eternally grateful that Ron has not recruited you as his personal advisor.

So you do think Lenny in really worth 1.5 million with only 1 year left on his contract. If so, your living in the clouds my friend.

I rate Lenny and we're a better team with him in it but is he championship starting quality? I'm not so sure, and with 'again' only 1 year remaining on his contract I don't see him being worth much more than that IMO.

Lot of mention of 'only' 1 year left on contract- but that means we can decide we don't want to sell if RM/PB see the value of keeping him to end of contract is greater than a fee they deem too low.

You can say that the buying club can just wait a year and get him on a free- reality is on average managers don't last a year and are as good as the last few results- so doubt the waiting a year resonates very much with the likes of CW.

So you do think Lenny in really worth 1.5 million with only 1 year left on his contract. If so, your living in the clouds my friend.

I rate Lenny and we're a better team with him in it but is he championship starting quality? I'm not so sure, and with 'again' only 1 year remaining on his contract I don't see him being worth much more than that IMO.

Nowhere have I stated that he is worth £1.5 million, I don't think he is. But I do think that your estimate of £200k is very pessimistic. We will both have to see whether (i) Ron actually sells him now and (ii) if he does, then how much he asks and gets. Until then I will try to stay below the clouds.

I think you're in right region, sentimental value is most definitely high here, understandably.

Interesting that some of the Sheffield fans say their midfield is so good already that they doubt he'd be starting regularly for them. I know he'd be earning a lot more money but would he be happy with that going from a team where he's one of the first names on the teamsheet?

Interesting that some of the Sheffield fans say their midfield is so good already that they doubt he'd be starting regularly for them. I know he'd be earning a lot more money but would he be happy with that going from a team where he's one of the first names on the teamsheet?
I have always said that if Lenny were to move to a bigger club then he would be an amazing wing back/full back. Tall, pacey and strong - ideal.

Interesting comments from one of their fans on their forum. Unfortunately he seems to be one of the more ITK posters!!

Chris Wilder has a great eye, and one of the games best scouts in Paul Mitchell.

Also, full due diligence done on every target, talking to as many ex managers, players, coaches, who have worked with the player, as possible to find out what sort of lad he is.

Leonard is interested in a move to the Lane, just a case of agreeing a fee, and terms.

Interesting comments from one of their fans on their forum. Unfortunately he seems to be one of the more ITK posters!!

Chris Wilder has a great eye, and one of the games best scouts in Paul Mitchell.

Also, full due diligence done on every target, talking to as many ex managers, players, coaches, who have worked with the player, as possible to find out what sort of lad he is.

Leonard is interested in a move to the Lane, just a case of agreeing a fee, and terms.

The lane? Spurs are playing at Wembley next season.

Back