• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Manchester Arena Explosions

It's a dusty old book, written 1500+ years ago by desert tribes and open to wild interpretation, as unlike The Bible, it's never had an "official rewrite" like the King Charles version....the extreme version of Islam - Wahabbism - seems to only risen to the fore in the last 30 years or so, possibly around the rise of people like Khommeni (who in turn, interpreted suicide from being a sin, to being a legitimate weapon).

For example, the old adage of blowing yourself up and getting 72 virgins can just as easily be translated as getting just 72 grains of rice.

What's the answer? I have no idea, and I don't think anyone does.
The West drop thousands of bombs on them (both guility Isis scum and the innocent caught in the middle - which hardly ever makes the news) and in turn, angry young Muslim men who's minds have been warped blow themselves up and think the path to an eternal life of pure pleasure is to kill kids at a pop concert.

And thats the problem, there isnt an answer.

Anyone claiming we should take action ,deport everyone and "defeat ISIS" is an answer is deluded, it will just create more.

Do nothing at all isnt a solution either.

Thats always been the scariest thing about this, there is no end game for either side, will just go on for ever.

I heard an expert say today that we gave safe haven to hundreds of people that were in danger from the Gaddafi regime. Salman Abedi's parents were two of those we saved. The only trouble is that most of them had links to Alqaeda. Some were members of the LIFG. He said many were Jihadists. So he said we have let hundreds of people in from Libya because they were the enemy of Gaddafi, but are actually also the enemy of us. So Salman Abedi could well of got some of his hatred and radical views from his parents who are now back in Libya following Gaddafi's overthrow.

MODS This is not the place for political point scoring - get the posts by Manor and *** moved please.
Ricey, I see you've blocked a couple of posts (probably rightly so) but out of respect and fairness can you please see my point above.

Frankly some on here are unbelievable using this to get their politics across - as if we don't hear it enough.
Sorry but I think you have completely misunderstood my point. I was asking a reasonable question to those who know a lot more about the topic, as Ricey answered showing that there is no political point to make.

If you really think that asking a question is "political point scoring" then I'd suggest that you stop being so sensitive.

If your issue is with the fact that I said that May did a lot to cut police numbers, then I would agree that is a debate for another thread, but it is nothing more than the wording in a question which was not intended to have any bias or "point scoring" out of a tragedy.

The 'Nothing sticks on us and we won't be taking any questions on this statement, either' award goes to Fawzi Haffar!

For anyone who doesn't read David Squires cartoons, they are all a thing of beauty!

Sorry but I think you have completely misunderstood my point. I was asking a reasonable question to those who know a lot more about the topic, as Ricey answered showing that there is no political point to make.

If you really think that asking a question is "political point scoring" then I'd suggest that you stop being so sensitive.

If your issue is with the fact that I said that May did a lot to cut police numbers, then I would agree that is a debate for another thread, but it is nothing more than the wording in a question which was not intended to have any bias or "point scoring" out of a tragedy.

I'll PM you.

And thats the problem, there isnt an answer.

Anyone claiming we should take action ,deport everyone and "defeat ISIS" is an answer is deluded, it will just create more.

Do nothing at all isnt a solution either.

Thats always been the scariest thing about this, there is no end game for either side, will just go on for ever.

You mean there's no single answer and no easy solutions but every terrorist group has been beaten in the end. In most cases when the victims have had enough and decide to stop dithering and go on the attack.

Some of my family are Christian, does that mean that I must be a member of the KKK or want to go on Crusades?

The Crusades have never been more popular. Instead of Knights on horse back we send pilots in jet fighters. Far more effective and our boys can be home for tea. We, its supporters, can watch it all on TV...... The cleaned up version suitable for children of course.

We have all happily paid our taxes for the Crusade and I like the fact we have dropped the Christian theme and called it democracy. That way 90% of Westerners will support it, Lefties, Liberals and even old Atheist's like me. Of course we kill far more Muslims now we have honed our killing skills over the last 1000 years. Its good we have dropped that chivalry nonsense because lets face it, why should 'New man' worry about few 100,000 dead Muslim women and children when there's footy on Sky TV.

Still its outrageous what happened in Manchester. I mean what sort of disgusting evil group of people would plan fund and carry out the murder of innocent little children.....F.....g animals the lot of them.

I keep hearing people talk about deporting. You cant deport a British person. If someone comes from abroad then yes deport them, but these scumbags are British born, you can just post them off to another country, as much as that would be nice.

I didn't say deport the British. No, I'd be happy to see them spend their lives in solitary confinement.

As for the 4000 on the watchlist, at what point do you put them in prison? As soon as they look at an ISIS website? If they post something on twitter?

I gave an example of this, on the last terrorism thread we had after Westminster. Back in 2007(?) IIRC, a little jihadi mob plotted to blow up 7 commercial airliners leaving Britain, headed for America. The security services watched them for months. They watched them meet & discuss it. They watched them buy the materials needed. And they watched them build the bombs. Then, on the night before the planned attack, they watched the terrorists slip through their fingers. And just down to sheer luck, they managed to stop them before they reached the airport.

Someone tell me why the security services needed to wait that long before intervening?

This is the problem, they have to commit an actual crime to be arrested. Maybe we are too tolerant in some areas (the hate speech you mention for sure), but it all depends on what exactly these people actually have done to get on the watch list in the first place.

Mate, have you read the terrorism act? "Conspiracy to commit" IS a crime. If they're involved in any form of terrorist activity, they can be charged. Unfortunately, we simply do not like punishing people in this country. The strongest punishment on the Terrorism Act, is 15 years for terrorist activity. 15 years. It should be life. No rehabilitation, no second chances, fair warning.. You entertain the idea of blowing up our people & you're caught, you'll spend the rest of your life in solitary.

And we know for sure they ain't on that list for trivial reasons

Its ok saying we should take a hardline and zero tolerance approach, but do you not think that will just lead to even more radicalisation? Not saying we "do nothing" which is the standard response to that, but people seem to be oblivious to why people turn this way in the first place. They feel wronged and oppressed, I dont see how doing more of it helps.

The tougher laws & attitudes, are there to protect Muslims, aswell as us whiteys. Afterall, these people who act in the name of Islam, (but aren't actually real Muslims, as we're told after every single one of these atrocities) need separating from the Muslim name. I'd have thought, most Muslims would welcome that idea. Seeing as how their beliefs are polar-opposite, yet they are all tarred with the same brush.

Im a Catholic (supposedly), I welcome tougher laws & attitudes to weed out the nonces in the church. It gives my (so-called) religion a bad name, where every single priest is looked upon as a potential predator of children. The only logical reason for me NOT wanting stricter laws & tougher attitudes to solving this problem, is if I was a sympathiser of nonces.

I do think a lot of people seem to think we "do nothing" when these incidents arise, but they dont think about all the plots that are avoided and the convictions that do take place, because they dont make the news.

Its the same old saying, the security services have to get it right every time, the terrorists only need to get lucky once.

The only real solution is the point you say about Islam itself, it has to change, it has to take responsibility for how extremism is allowed to exist, and thats going to take forever if its even possible.

You're right, terrorists need to get lucky just once. So why not make it as hard as possible. Make it almost impossible.

There is a real belief in this country that we can't really do anything. I believe otherwise. It might hurt some feelings, but personally I don't care. I couldn't give a good **** if some feelings got bruised, If it means we didn't have to see pictures of dead children

A minutes silence perfectly observed here....however I see that bomb disposal experts have been sent to a college for kids with learning needs in Manchester. Lets hope someone just left their homework behind.

I was cricket training last night and talkingto a friend of mine who is a sergeant major in the army. He said he was concernedabout the use of soldiers on the street to aid the police. I was curious andasked why? He said because their rules of engagement are very different to thePolice force and as he put it “how long before one of our boys gets in troublefor taking someone out?”. That seemed a bit ridiculous to me as surely if theyare given a remit to be a presence and protection they can do it withoutgetting trigger happy? I mean it’s not too much to ask is it? His argument wasthese guys have deeply imbedded training that is hard to just shut off and thoseexposed to battle situations know that decisions have to be made fast as yourlife is on the line. I was interested in what people’s opinions on this was?

I was cricket training last night and talkingto a friend of mine who is a sergeant major in the army. He said he was concernedabout the use of soldiers on the street to aid the police. I was curious andasked why? He said because their rules of engagement are very different to thePolice force and as he put it “how long before one of our boys gets in troublefor taking someone out?”. That seemed a bit ridiculous to me as surely if theyare given a remit to be a presence and protection they can do it withoutgetting trigger happy? I mean it’s not too much to ask is it? His argument wasthese guys have deeply imbedded training that is hard to just shut off and thoseexposed to battle situations know that decisions have to be made fast as yourlife is on the line. I was interested in what people’s opinions on this was?

If they shoot or even kill an innocent person they'll be taken off the streets. Hopefully that won't happen, after all the Police didn't cover themselves with glory after killing DeMenezes after 7/7.

So it turns out the bomber flew to Dusseldorf four days before the attack on Monday. Another victory for freedom of movement...

Born in Manchester, so just like you, Abedi had a British Passport. I thought this thread wasn't about political point scoring?

Born in Manchester, so just like you, Abedi had a British Passport. I thought this thread wasn't about political point scoring?

He was on a terror watch list. His family were also well-known to police. If I was working in the security services and I saw someone on a watch list regularly flying to Libya and Germany on their own I'd probably be a bit alarmed. Donald Trump was mocked for his travel ban which included Libya, yet a similar policy here may have saved the lives of those 22 people.

Sorry but this is political. Europe's porous borders are allowing networks of terrorists to roam from country to country, and at the same time allowing millions more people in from countries like Libya. It is madness and it is putting the citizens of Europe at risk.

I'm sick of the hashtags, the vigils, the minute's silences, empty platitudes about 'love' and 'solidarity'. We should be angry. I don't know have the answer and I'm not criticising the police because they have an extremely difficult job, and we learnt this morning that five attacks have been foiled since the Westminster attack in March alone. But we need to be tougher, we need to tackle the problem of radicalisation in jails, and we need closer surveillance of people on terror watch lists.

Last edited:
It appears that the manchester communities raised issues on this family over several years.
It looks more like mistakes as opposed to policy which let this one through

Back