• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Squad - No Rooney

That goal is great. I prefer his McCormack-esque volley vs Newcastle though. The guy was some footballer.

Indeed. He shinned that overhead kick, but the Newcastle goal was sheer technique.

Also really enjoy the counterattack goal vs Arsenal, the top one in this video (although the bottom one's also good and involves Rooney)
[video=youtube;jPlO2wwdprk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPlO2wwdprk[/video]

That 08/09 United side is up right up there with the Barca wide that dominated after them for me.

I don't think he could do a job there. He doesn't have the tools. For both United and England in the games that he had there over the past couple of years it was clear that he didn't have the head for it. That Iceland game last summer, Rooney spent the whole game just chasing after the ball. He worked his bollocks off for 70 minutes without positively impacting the game at all.

Scholes managed that transition from centre half to number ten to holding midfield and so I see why people thought Rooney would go the same way but he doesn't have Scholes' footballing brain.

I think if Rooney is to have one more good run somewhere it'll be upfront.

When was Scholes a centre-half?

Rooney still has a better football brain than most of the England squad. I think people are struggling to adapt to him not being the focal point and star attraction more than he is.

Strange week for Rooney,

Monday Evening: Becomes only the 2nd player in history to join the Premiership's 200 goal club.

Wednesday Afternoon: Announces his retirement from International football.

Been a long time since Rooney was "the focal point" for MU or England.Those days are clearly over.

You appear to have missed the point again.

Strange week for Rooney,

Monday Evening: Becomes only the 2nd player in history to join the Premiership's 200 goal club.

Wednesday Afternoon: Announces his retirement from International football.

I suspect he's been given a heads up that he won't be included again.

Important point. Still relatively young, but a lot of miles on the clock and has not played a single game at anything other than the highest level. No loan spells in the lower leagues - either Premier League or senior internationals his entire career.

Yep and it's also the way he's played - 100mph and getting stuck in. It's no surprise he's lost his pace and is struggling now, he's just done too many hard miles

Never reached the heights we had hoped for during those heady days of Euro 2004 but thanks all the same Wayne. 53 goals for your country - great achievement.

I wouldn't call him a "has-been" at international level. Looking at what we currently have, personally I think he is still good enough to make the squad of 23, granted more likely to be a bit part player rather than a regular in the starting 11, I guess he probably knew that also, and decided to throw the towel in now in order to prolong his club career.

I'm a bit disappointed really, as others have previously said, he served us well on the whole over the years, & if for no other reason I wanted him to beat Peter Shilton's international 125 cap record.

I'm very grateful for what he did. He's my all-time favorite footballer. He made me love Football more. Gonna miss him.

Last edited:
Clearly,Rooney is a has-been at international level and won't get another international cap.What other point is there? :unsure:

He will. One more in a pointless friendly vs USA. A stupid decision, when has he ever performed in an England shirt when it mattered?

Back