• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Burton do have quite amazing facilities which is one reason they're able to attract good players on somewhat lower-than-expected wages.

Thats right, no doubt the best in the country. They train at our national sides training complex (St Georges Park) and they also have a medical centre that is highly credited by FIFA for the rehabilitation (not in a Nile Ranger sense) of injured players. It cost around £120 million to build I believe. I stayed at the Hilton hotel within the complex a few years ago. Lovely place to relax, I would highly recommend it for anyone planning an away day there in the future.

Brown seems to have the habit of going for players that are possibly a bit out of our league at the start of the window. I like it, you don't try you don't get.

Brown seems to have the habit of going for players that are possibly a bit out of our league at the start of the window. I like it, you don't try you don't get.

Yes, and further, a top signing encourages other top names to come along as well.

Exactly this ^

Maybe plans are in place for life post Lenny. The Club realise that Lenny has been out talisman and that if / when he leaves we still need to replace and improve to better last season and money from the any Lenny deal will be given straight back.

I think its quite clear to both PB and RM that the squad wasnt quite good enough this season and needs to be improved upon,therefore you dont need to be Einstein to see that to get Automatic promotion ,which will be more difficult this season than last Southend need to recruit 4 or 5 quality players,not squad players but first teamers,so going for some high profile players such as Kightly is the way to go.Good luck on your efforts PB ,I for one hope you can sign a few without busting the bank or our club.:Worthy:

Only played 90 minutes once last season and five times in the last 3 seasons.

That said I still expect Ron to sign him January to front next season's season ticket renewal campaign as we're running out of ex-players to bring back.

I think we'd have a job on our hands but I don't see it as out of the question. With new stadium plans and aim for promotion next season, I think we'd be a good sell to him. Not to mention the fact that I think people underestimate the pull that moving back home could be for him.

Is that the same stadium plans that he was promised with when he was first at the club?

This was just simply never going to happen. I think it was a statement of intent by brown basically saying 'get he cheque book out Ron'!

Last edited:
Last I saw was that his wage demands were too high for Burton.

Last I saw was that his wage demands were too high for Burton.

I posted in another thread after speaking with a Burton supporting mate who knows their chairman. Kightly was on a huge wage at Burnley and something that Burton can't come near. So I would imagine we would t be able to compete with that.

I posted in another thread after speaking with a Burton supporting mate who knows their chairman. Kightly was on a huge wage at Burnley and something that Burton can't come near. So I would imagine we would t be able to compete with that.

And maybe no one else interested can compete with his wage demands. Maybe the 3 months over the summer will involve those demands falling, or him ending up with nada

And maybe no one else interested can compete with his wage demands. Maybe the 3 months over the summer will involve those demands falling, or him ending up with nada.

I think that this happens with a number of footballers - they try (quite rightly) to get the best deal they can as high up in the league as they can and as we gradually get through the pre-season they then start to look lower and lower down their list of "ideal" clubs ............ risky business as I suspect a number of tentative offers from other clubs come off the table as they sign another player instead.

I think that this happens with a number of footballers - they try (quite rightly) to get the best deal they can as high up in the league as they can and as we gradually get through the pre-season they then start to look lower and lower down their list of "ideal" clubs ............ risky business as I suspect a number of tentative offers from other clubs come off the table as they sign another player instead.

Which is why it can take a long time to sign players

Back