• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If he had left us in the summer for Bradford, though it would have been shame still, I would have understood as they are a bigger club than us.

However his comments make no sense based on the fact he went to BURY!!! Didn't see them having much steel last season, and they were nowhere the top 6 and at least we were challenging :stunned:

If he had left us in the summer for Bradford, though it would have been shame still, I would have understood as they are a bigger club than us.

However his comments make no sense based on the fact he went to BURY!!! Didn't see them having much steel last season, and they were nowhere the top 6 and at least we were challenging :stunned:

Agreed. But he still wasn't having a pop at us. Some people have very thin skin.

So why did he like Charlton's twitter when they scored against us. I assume he did it after Bury's game that day. I think he is very bitter towards us.

His interview comments are quite correct but players don't usually state things like that especially when he went to Bury who just about stayed up last year. I think it makes him look a little bit silly.

Hold on, aren't his comments entirely correct?

“Southend used to get in the top six one game and then drop out the next."

That's entirely what happened.

“From what I’ve seen in the last few seasons playing against Bradford, they’ve always had that steel. Southend never really had that."

Again, the lack of 'steel' and consistency, particularly in the final 6-8 weeks of a long, hard season that stretched a relatively small central group of players to breaking point, was a significant reason as to why we couldn't get over the line. Thompson's honed in on probably the key differentiating factor between us and teams like Bradford last year.

Yes you could argue his comments are correct but at the end of the day we're both still in League One. And didn't we take 4 points off Bradford last season? They've lost in the play-offs in the last two seasons so maybe they don't have quite have enough "steel".

Maybe there was a bit of a fall-out behind the scenes that we don't know of, but I'm sure he'll get a good reception when we play Bradford - not that he's likely to be playing. :winking:

So why did he like Charlton's twitter when they scored against us. I assume he did it after Bury's game that day. I think he is very bitter towards us.

His interview comments are quite correct but players don't usually state things like that especially when he went to Bury who just about stayed up last year. I think it makes him look a little bit silly.

So why is he bitter?

Stood by him?

Yep, I remember when we went in for the charity waxing at the start of the 2015/16 season, he'd been out over the summer having surgery of some kind (can't quite remember what). Other clubs could and would probably have binned him off but no, Southend stood by him. He was doing extra exercise in the treatment room under the umbrella of Ben's team.

Yep, I remember when we went in for the charity waxing at the start of the 2015/16 season, he'd been out over the summer having surgery of some kind (can't quite remember what). Other clubs could and would probably have binned him off but no, Southend stood by him. He was doing extra exercise in the treatment room under the umbrella of Ben's team.

Wonder what Phil said to him about his chances of starting this season.

Hold on, aren't his comments entirely correct?

“Southend used to get in the top six one game and then drop out the next."

That's entirely what happened.

“From what I’ve seen in the last few seasons playing against Bradford, they’ve always had that steel. Southend never really had that."

Again, the lack of 'steel' and consistency, particularly in the final 6-8 weeks of a long, hard season that stretched a relatively small central group of players to breaking point, was a significant reason as to why we couldn't get over the line. Thompson's honed in on probably the key differentiating factor between us and teams like Bradford last year.

Then again, didn't Millwall have a similar last 6-8 weeks of the season to us (let's face it, had they not struggled, we wouldn't have still been involved until the last week of the season) and they managed to get promoted in the end - didn't see Bradford's steel in that play-off final!!

Yes but do I not remember that he was offered a p!ss poor wages arrangement and short term contract on his return due to his injury?

Yes but do I not remember that he was offered a p!ss poor wages arrangement and short term contract on his return due to his injury?

Don't know about "**** poor" but no-one was sure how well his recovery was going to go so a short term deal was offered to allow him to continue with us. If i remember correctly, a better one was then offered when it was clear he'd recovered well.

I remember when he went back to Watford after his loan and said 'I know this is where I want to be' in the Echo when he signed permanently. Oh how things change...

We do seem to be making a collection of players that have a disliking towards the club in recent years. David Worrall, Adam Thompson, Cian Bolger...

Bringing up last season (for me) is a bit like bringing up a furball but part of me felt like we blew it and part of me felt like we just weren't quite good enough. However, Thompson was partly responsible for the club not making the play-offs (just like the rest of the squad) and has to take his share of the blame as well as the credit when things were going well.

And I remember when half the players who were contracted to be paid were not getting their wages. The club really stood by them guys. Thompson was kept because they hoped he could offer the club something positive in the future. If they knew he couldn't he would of been straight out the door. We are no different to any other club.

and i remember when half the players who were contracted to be paid were not getting their wages. The club really stood by them guys. Thompson was kept because they hoped he could offer the club something positive in the future. If they knew he couldn't he would of been straight out the door. We are no different to any other club.
yes we are different "we are southend united".and theres only one " southend united"

And I remember when half the players who were contracted to be paid were not getting their wages. The club really stood by them guys. Thompson was kept because they hoped he could offer the club something positive in the future. If they knew he couldn't he would of been straight out the door. We are no different to any other club.

Different times, different managers though. Thompson's case is in no way comparable to those who weren't getting paid. As it goes, we know one of those players bore no long term grudge as he came back, and I happen to know another who would have too.

Different times, different managers though. Thompson's case is in no way comparable to those who weren't getting paid. As it goes, we know one of those players bore no long term grudge as he came back, and I happen to know another who would have too.

Ron does the contracts. Not the managers.

My example was to suggest that Ron holds no loyalty to players. In turn very few players hold loyalty to clubs. We are no different from other clubs.

To suggest Thompson got special treatment from is simply not true.

If they really wanted to keep any of the players who left they would of been attempting to sort out contracts way before the season ends.

Your years behind me in terms knowing what goes on at the club and you haven't managed to work out not everything you get told is the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back