• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dear All

Some of you may recall the news of Alan some two years ago re him having to have both of his legs amputated. Link to thread in ex-Shrimpers: http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?86595-Alan-Moody

Well, I am very pleased to report that Ron Martin has agreed that the Club are to support a campaign to help Alan, something which I know a lot of you will welcome.

Initial discussions have been held between the Club's Commercial Director Danny Macklin, the Chair of the Shrimpers Trust, and myself, and we have shelled out a list of workable ideas to move forward on. The aim will be to raise some funds to help Alan and in doing so show the high regard in which our record appearances holder is still held.

I have spoken with Alan's daughter Claire and we will be discussing the approach to take with them both as we progress. They are appreciative of the efforts made, just as they were with the many messages of support expressed on the above mentioned thread. They do both hope to come down to Roots Hall for a match early on in the new season.

At this stage I'd like to leave details to be announced at a later date as quite a bit of planning needs to now happen, and I am also mindful that we should not detract from the appeal game on 25 July v Brighton for young Jacob Jones.

Anyway, at this stage I just thought you would all like to know that something will happen and I expect full details will be announced as we get near to the start of the new season.

Cheers, Andy

PS Moderators - would be grateful if you could leave this thread in the main forum for a couple of days so more will see it after which maybe it can be added to the previous one on Alan.

I used to stalk him when he worked in the shoe Menders in Hockley. I was 10 years old. I'm happy to contribute. I will probably see Tony Hadley at golf tomorrow so if you have any plans message me.

I missed this first time around. Alan was before my time so I never saw him play but he looms large in our history and everyone should know what a great player he was for the club. Keen to hear what we might be able to do for this true Southend United great.

Andy, you know you have my support and that I am happy to help. One of the most key figures in our history.

I used to stalk him when he worked in the shoe Menders in Hockley. I was 10 years old. I'm happy to contribute. I will probably see Tony Hadley at golf tomorrow so if you have any plans message me.

The cobblers was and still is called Salmon's and I too stalked the legend. This is great news and happy to contribute to a great player and person.

Good news indeed. Just hope that if it is decided to play a game for Alan Moody that the club will promote it properly and 100%. I can remember the last testimonial at Roots Hall for Spencer Prior was hastily arranged and very poorly attended indeed. Would hate to see this happen again to another club legend.

Back