• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tough run in:

Looks like a load of rubbish to me .............. Oxford are rated as being one of the strongest teams in the division ........ well, let's wait and see who they get as a manager.

Fleetwood are rated as being "other" and look at their performance last season ........... and the manager has just signed an extension at the club ......... even if he is poached, it looks like Fleetwood would receive some dosh and that helps as well.

Surprised at those odds to be honest. Peterborough, Bristol Rovers and MK Dons all finished below us last year and are higher in that table.

We should send that table to Adam Thompson though! I guess a lot can change depending on signings over the next few weeks (yes signings), you know when a team gets a new player.

I can't see many of us making the long round trip to Bury on a cold winters Tuesday night in February.

Mind you a quick look, at some of the other Division One Tuesday night fixtures this season, are equally as bad for any other loyal traveling fan:

Wigan away to Gillingham
Portsmouth away to Doncaster
Oldham away to Bristol Rovers
Rochdale away to Charlton
Rotherham away to Wimbledon
Wimbledon away to Oldham
Blackpool away to Plymouth (really...ouch!)
Bradford away to Charlton
Gillingham away to Blackpool
Rotherham away to Bristol Rovers
Wigan away to Charlton

Surely there could have been some re-jigging by the EFL to place some of the longer journey's a Saturday afternoon fixture, as a pose to a Tuesday night fixture.

I know its all relative to where we all live, but personally i'm more likely to attend a Tuesday night game at say Charlton, Gillingham or Wimbledon instead of a long journey up north (as it wouldn't mean calling in a holiday day at work or depending on the town, I could make a weekend of it).

Portsmouth 3rd favourites to win the league.

Not sure about that one!

Portsmouth 3rd favourites to win the league.

Not sure about that one!

They will always be well backed, so bookmakers need to take that in to account when pricing up the market.

In a similar vein, England are always far shorter in the betting for major tournaments than they ever should be.

I have heard the argument that it is better to play against the strongest teams early on in the season as it can take a while for any team to "gel" (new players, maybe new manager etcetera) and so there can be some "upsets".

Look at us last season, it took some while before we got our act in order and it took some time for Bolton and Sheff Utd to float to the top of the league .................

IIRC the club have got a week's grace to announce changes in the fixtures eg switch to a Friday,earlier KO times or Sky TV games.

Is that right?

That sounds about right for switches requested by the clubs themselves (we usually have a couple of Fridays don't we), but the Sky TV schedule will be sorted out much nearer to the start of the season.

Them and BT still have to sort the Premier League schedule out first, before they get going with the FL.

That sounds about right for switches requested by the clubs themselves (we usually have a couple of Fridays don't we), but the Sky TV schedule will be sorted out much nearer to the start of the season.

Them and BT still have to sort the Premier League schedule out first, before they get going with the FL.

Bump.Thanks..I'm also worried about the Police switching KO to an earlier time.Got my eye on the Blackpool home game on Sept 3oth,currently a 3pm KO.Any ideas on that one?

Bump.Thanks..I'm also worried about the Police switching KO to an earlier time.Got my eye on the Blackpool home game on Sept 3oth,currently a 3pm KO.Any ideas on that one?

Nothing formal I'm afraid. A change of time seems unlikely (international break, which often results in changes, is the following week) but I'd sit tight for a few days yet.

Nothing formal I'm afraid. A change of time seems unlikely (international break, which often results in changes, is the following week) but I'd sit tight for a few days yet.

Yup I'm not planning to book anything until the middle of next week at least.Annoying because I'm interested in a Zombies concert at the Palladium on the 29th too.Would make a great weekend but I'd have to stay up in town on Friday night so an early KO (a la Millwall/Bury) wouldn't be a lot of fun.:sad:

I can't see many of us making the long round trip to Bury on a cold winters Tuesday night in February.

Mind you a quick look, at some of the other Division One Tuesday night fixtures this season, are equally as bad for any other loyal traveling fan:

Wigan away to Gillingham
Portsmouth away to Doncaster
Oldham away to Bristol Rovers
Rochdale away to Charlton
Rotherham away to Wimbledon
Wimbledon away to Oldham
Blackpool away to Plymouth (really...ouch!)
Bradford away to Charlton
Gillingham away to Blackpool
Rotherham away to Bristol Rovers
Wigan away to Charlton

Surely there could have been some re-jigging by the EFL to place some of the longer journey's a Saturday afternoon fixture, as a pose to a Tuesday night fixture.

I know its all relative to where we all live, but personally i'm more likely to attend a Tuesday night game at say Charlton, Gillingham or Wimbledon instead of a long journey up north (as it wouldn't mean calling in a holiday day at work or depending on the town, I could make a weekend of it).
But if games like Gillingham and Charlton were on Tuesdays we would take consiserably smaller followings so I think it's a good thing that they aren't midweek. Would we have taken anywhere near the 3000 we took to Charlton last season if it was midweek? We took 1500 to MK Dons last season, this season it's on a Tuesday and we'll be lucky if we take half of that so I'm not convinced that local midweek away games are that positive.

With games like Bury we're only likely to take 350 max on a Saturday anyway with 150-200 on a Tuesday so I think it's fine to have a couple of these games midweek rather than the nearer games because much less people miss out when it's further away.

But if games like Gillingham and Charlton were on Tuesdays we would take consiserably smaller followings so I think it's a good thing that they aren't midweek. Would we have taken anywhere near the 3000 we took to Charlton last season if it was midweek? We took 1500 to MK Dons last season, this season it's on a Tuesday and we'll be lucky if we take half of that so I'm not convinced that local midweek away games are that positive.

With games like Bury we're only likely to take 350 max on a Saturday anyway with 150-200 on a Tuesday so I think it's fine to have a couple of these games midweek rather than the nearer games because much less people miss out when it's further away.

Exactly this, this is deliberate by the EFl to maximise the crowds. Personally I agree with it. A good Saturday local game can seriously swell the away attendance. Rather a midweek game in the arse end of nowhere that only a few hardy souls would go to anyway.

Bump.

Anyone-Mick,Sam etc- know how long the club have got before they announce any Friday night changes to the fixtures?

Nervous.Sant Cugat.

Used to be a week to request changes (rather than "announce" them).

We seem to have gone right off Friday night matches, so, with the pre-Christmas game away, I am not expecting any.

Back