• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Naaaah! Don't believe a word of it Barna, when it comes to the nitty-gritty, they (the EU) need a deal more than us. Just stick to our guns (we're British, after all), they'll come around to our way of thinking...........you can bank on it. :winking:

No your a couple of expats, who's opinion doesn't count. Its the equivalent of having a Col U and an Orient fan telling us their thoughts on a move to FF.

Thanks, and there was me thinking this afternoon was going to be boring :winking:
I'm trying to find a Labour canvas in Oldham for some politics chat but they are all a bit out of reach so I'm just going to have a wander. Will conserve my phone battery so any criticism in my absence - be a love and make it relevant. Ta.

I'm trying to find a Labour canvas in Oldham for some politics chat but they are all a bit out of reach so I'm just going to have a wander. Will conserve my phone battery so any criticism in my absence - be a love and make it relevant. Ta.

Plenty of working class former Labour and Brexit voters in Oldham. Why don't you lower yourself for a day and have a chat with them. I'm sure they would love to hear how their problems are mirrored exactly with parts of Surrey.

No your a couple of expats, who's opinion doesn't count. Its the equivalent of having a Col U and an Orient fan telling us their thoughts on a move to FF.

Sorry Mr Rigsby you've failed to detect the nuance of the language ( and you haven't been out of the country for 29 years!) When I refered to 'we're British' it was used in a general sense <of the British people> not me and Barna. Perhaps you'd like to respond to the question of where this government is leading us (or trying to lead us) as far as Brexit goes. Not really interested in you reiterating your views on the benefits or otherwise of Brexit as you are not interested in hearing mine.............we know each others respective views well enough.

Sorry Mr Rigsby you've failed to detect the nuance of the language ( and you haven't been out of the country for 29 years!) When I refered to 'we're British' it was used in a general sense <of the British people> not me and Barna. Perhaps you'd like to respond to the question of where this government is leading us (or trying to lead us) as far as Brexit goes. Not really interested in you reiterating your views on the benefits or otherwise of Brexit as you are not interested in hearing mine.............we know each others respective views well enough.

So you would like me to respond but your not interested anyway. Looks like all those years in Europe have given you an air of self important arrogance.......At the expense of your British sense of humour.

So you would like me to respond but your not interested anyway. Looks like all those years in Europe have given you an air of self important arrogance.......At the expense of your British sense of humour.

I can assure you that while Yogi does most certainly have a good sense of humour, he's not the least bit arrogant.

Plenty of working class former Labour and Brexit voters in Oldham. Why don't you lower yourself for a day and have a chat with them. I'm sure they would love to hear how their problems are mirrored exactly with parts of Surrey.
You've ignored the request to be relevant and instead taken something I was looking into doing and tried to make out it's something I would avoid doing. I don't really understand why anyone would do that.

You've ignored the request to be relevant and instead taken something I was looking into doing and tried to make out it's something I would avoid doing. I don't really understand why anyone would do that.

Unfortunately we aren't all mind readers but let us know how you got on.

you don't need to be a mind reader you just need to be a reader - all of the necessary information was in the post you replied to

I can see you will bond well with the good people of Oldham. If for any reason they criticise Corbyn make sure you put them in their place, won't you ***.

Are you doing it purposely, not to understand what I've said? You can construe anything by taking words out of context. Let me repeat again in another way, with no self-importance and certainly no arrogance. I've said that there is little purpose going over the same sterile arguments concerning Brexit, we well understand each others views. I'm more interested in moving the discussion on, to how this government is handling the Brexit negotiations and the possible outcomes.

Are you doing it purposely, not to understand what I've said? You can construe anything by taking words out of context. Let me repeat again in another way, with no self-importance and certainly no arrogance. I've said that there is little purpose going over the same sterile arguments concerning Brexit, we well understand each others views. I'm more interested in moving the discussion on, to how this government is handling the Brexit negotiations and the possible outcomes.

Yes he is. I was one of the people who wanted his ban over turned. I won't be doing it again.

Yes he is. I was one of the people who wanted his ban over turned. I won't be doing it again.
I understand your point, I enjoy and respect Riggers football views and, simarly to you, am struggling to continue with his, (and others) continual repeation of the same points on this and similar non footie threads.
However, I add that the much of the Brexit issue has become entrenched view points, here and in the "real" world with little change from opinions offered prior to the vote.

I understand your point, I enjoy and respect Riggers football views and, simarly to you, am struggling to continue with his, (and others) continual repeation of the same points on this and similar non footie threads.
However, I add that the much of the Brexit issue has become entrenched view points, here and in the "real" world with little change from opinions offered prior to the vote.

Not changing opinions was never the problem. Not respecting differing ones and belittling others is. I'm approaching a year of having someone simular on ignore for the same sort of crap. It's becoming tiresome.

So Jeremy has come over all European. :winking:

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-shifts-to-back-a-customs-union-with-eu-after-brexit-11267193

Well, in truth, he is about as convincing a convert to the European cause as he is a czech spy..............but if needs must! Anyway his move to stop a hard Brexit is to be welcomed................by me anyway. The opposition have sniffed a window of opportunity and appear to be jumping through it with both feet. Quite how he will explain what advantages we gain from Brexit, whilst still being closely aligned to the EU is mere detail. Don't concentrate too much on the detail, just look at the advantage to be gained!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43186005

Labour back a customs union.There's now clear daylight between their position on Brexit and that of the Tories.

Barna, clear daylight, maybe but is there much sense? Let's just imagine, a few months down the line, the government falls. The Tories would fight an election on the pledge of delivering a real Brexit whilst they would accuse Labour not only of failing to follow the will of the people, in delivering an effective Brexit but of choosing the 'worst of all options.' They would claim Labour are seeking an unsatisfactory fudge, losing the benefits of EU membership, whilst at the same time not allowing the UK the independence a hard Brexit would permit. Is that too impossible a scenario? Is it one the Labour Party could win on?

Barna, clear daylight, maybe but is there much sense? Let's just imagine, a few months down the line, the government falls. The Tories would fight an election on the pledge of delivering a real Brexit whilst they would accuse Labour not only of failing to follow the will of the people, in delivering an effective Brexit but of choosing the 'worst of all options.' They would claim Labour are seeking an unsatisfactory fudge, losing the benefits of EU membership, whilst at the same time not allowing the UK the independence a hard Brexit would permit. Is that too impossible a scenario? Is it one the Labour Party could win on?

Some one else said the same thing on here awhile back.....Can't quite remember who it was...mmmmm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43186005

Labour back a customs union.There's now clear daylight between their position on Brexit and that of the Tories.

I think it depends on what Labours position is on a customs union...whether they mean forming a new union between the UK and EU or remaining part of the old one.

Either way it is tantamount to allowing the EU to legislate, apply tariffs not withstanding that UK consumers will continue bear the brunt financially where the UK does not have a significant market of its own.

Labour will no doubt argue that it makes economic sense to stay in....however it will profoundly affect the UK's ability to be an independent nation....which they will need to square away with both remain and leave voters.

Back