• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Interesting.

A spokesman for Corbyn said: “The Labour Party respects the outcome of the EU referendum and does not support the EEA or Norway model as it is not the right option for Britain.”

I'm not clear on exactly what this 'close to EEA status is' , or what it entails...could you share with us and confirm that it has full support of all Labour MP's?

Interesting.

A spokesman for Corbyn said: “The Labour Party respects the outcome of the EU referendum and does not support the EEA or Norway model as it is not the right option for Britain.”

I'm not clear on exactly what this 'close to EEA status is' , or what it entails...could you share with us and confirm that it has full support of all Labour MP's?
Only the LibDems have a Brexit policy backed by all of their MP's. Conservatives and Labour do not. Hence we are still in limbo 2 years later.

Only the LibDems have a Brexit policy backed by all of their MP's. Conservatives and Labour do not. Hence we are still in limbo 2 years later.

That was my understanding that both parties are deeply divided over a brexit solution.

Are you able to give us an insight into your earlier comment of what being close to EEA status actually means?

Interesting.

I'm guessing it means Norway-free movement of labour.Doubt if that would have the full support of the PLP.Probably a majority though.

While HMG is still in charge of Brexit negotiations there's nothing to panic about though. :winking:

I'm guessing it means Norway-free movement of labour.Doubt if that would have the full support of the PLP.Probably a majority though.

Do you mean Norway minus free movement? If so, that's not on the table and so is as unrealistic as whatever the Tory policy of the day is.

While HMG is still in charge of Brexit negotiations there's nothing to panic about though. :winking:

Aren't according to some Corbyn and Co, supposedly a government in waiting, if so shouldn't they have a coherent plan on Brexit?

That was my understanding that both parties are deeply divided over a brexit solution.

Are you able to give us an insight into your earlier comment of what being close to EEA status actually means?
yep, deep divisions, which is why politically the referendum caused many more problems than it solved.

If you watch the Starmer interview on Marr from last Sunday he explains why EEA doesn't fit the needs of the UK and therefore a new customs agreement is needed. Essentially EEA gives a lack of autonomy.

yep, deep divisions, which is why politically the referendum caused many more problems than it solved.

If you watch the Starmer interview on Marr from last Sunday he explains why EEA doesn't fit the needs of the UK and therefore a new customs agreement is needed. Essentially EEA gives a lack of autonomy.

That still hasn't answered the question though has it?

If EEA doesn't fit the needs, then what does this close solution of Labours entail?

Absolutely.See my edited post.:smile:

I'm not talking about getting it past the PLP/Parliament, I'm talking about having something that the EU might be willing to agree to.

And it is a major problem when you have a two party system and the opposition fails to provide a realistic alternative. This would have been sorted at the last general election if Labour had someone competent in charge.

though unfortunately their policy is clear but unpopular

It had the backing of 48.1%, which is more than any of the alternatives given those who voted Leave voted for a number of contradictory plans, none of which has a majority.

In a First Past the Post system, remaining in the EU is actually still the most popular option.

It had the backing of 48.1%, which is more than any of the alternatives given those who voted Leave voted for a number of contradictory plans, none of which has a majority.

In a First Past the Post system, remaining in the EU is actually still the most popular option.

That's not quite correct though, the question was do you wish to remain in the EU, not a sum of it's parts.

52 per cent voted leave as we know, meaning that the advise given to those in our Parliament by a majority was to exit the European Union.

Are you now suggesting we put it back to the people as our Parliament have failed to follow our original advice?

I'm not talking about getting it past the PLP/Parliament, I'm talking about having something that the EU might be willing to agree to.

And it is a major problem when you have a two party system and the opposition fails to provide a realistic alternative. This would have been sorted at the last general election if Labour had someone competent in charge.

Labour will provide a "realistic alternative" to HMG by voting against Tory Brexit plans in the "meaningful vote".

Corbyn, unlike May, has always been consistently against the EU.Both major parties are committed to taking the UK out of the EU.How is the issue here.All will be revealed in time.

Back