• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Let's face it, the UK has pretty much been a semi-detached member of the EU/EEC, ever since it first joined back in the 70's.Seem to remember someone saying that we have never been more than about 60% committed to membership.I make that about right,especially since we've never signed up for the Euro or Schengen.Doubt if we'll be much missed,apart from our contribution to the EU budget of course. :winking:

Last edited:
Let's face it, the UK has pretty much been a semi-detached member of the EU/EEC, ever since it first joined back in the 70's.Seem to remember someone saying that we have never been more than about 60% committed to membership.I make that about right,especially since we've never signed up for the Euro or Schengen.Doubt if we'll be much missed,apart from our contribution to the EU budget of course. :winking:

For once Barna I agree with you. 60% I would say is about right. The sooner that's down to about 10% or less the better.

For once Barna I agree with you. 60% I would say is about right. The sooner that's down to about 10% or less the better.

The thing is, knowing how fickle the electorate are, the likelihood surely, is that the percentage will increase rather than diminish. IF there are any benefits in Brexit, I very much doubt they will be evident in the short or even medium term. Having been told for years that austerity will eventually be to our long term benefit..........which turned out to be a blatant lie, will the public believe the spin for Brexit's future 'advantages?'

Is the EU demanding to keep access to UK fishing waters "Cherry picking"?

Is it also an obvious bid at the negotiating roulette table?

And also a swipe at Gove and the many coastal/fishing areas which voted strongly for Leave?

Look, I don't know whether this is 'project fear' from the EU, just jockeying for a negotiating position or meaningful threats. When May pronounces "let's do it," Tusk responds YES.....................but Ireland needs sorting first, before we can move onto anything else.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...orthern-ireland-uk-solution-dup-a8246216.html

This morning's Radio 4 news highlighted the problems of Gibralter whilst Calais's Channel port boss hints at the chaos ahead if Barnier and May can't sort something out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...l-cause-huge-tailbacks-warns-calais-port-boss

Yes, I know, The Guardian and the Independent.............what do you expect? However these are serious problems we are facing and solutions don't seem apparent. Do our Brexiters remain calm and collected, sure in the belief this will all be sorted...........or are one or two getting a little sweaty under the collar? The clock seems to be ticking even louder and faster. I just get the impression, (perhaps wrongly?) that we are in a car, hurtling towards the cliff and neither side has found out how the brakes work. Then again, perhaps I'm wrong and this is exactly what the Brexiters are wishing for.....a leap into the dark, freedom and the only certain way of gaining a full independence from the EU?

OK, this is not the Guardian or the Independent and skynews can hardly be considered as a moothpiece for remain. Surely this is deeply worrying.

"And the lack of concrete credible border plans is beginning to change minds, including of Peter MacSwiney, the chair of a key Brexit customs consultative committee, himself no great fan of the EU.

If these options don't work, he says, "the ports will come to a grinding halt".
Is this not just more scaremongering? "We're always warned we shouldn't use words like 'disaster' with politicians," he says ominously. Mr MacSwiney was asked, subsequent to the Sky News interview, to sign a non-disclosure agreement by Government - he refused citing "too much Brexit secrecy".
Incidentally, he voted Leave in the referendum. "I did, but I didn't vote for what it appears we are going to get now, though".

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-forensics-playing-chicken-with-the-channel-tunnel-11291767

Think I'd rather wait for you to provide a summary of the agreement and for callan to offer the case for the opposition! :winking:

All I can say that this is an absolute necessity if we are going to make something work when we finally leave. I think it is the most positive thing I've seen in the entire debate and if nothing else gives us 21 months to get the things in place we need to.

What the EU will have learnt about Mrs May (and her negotiating team), as evidenced by the transition agreement, is that she (and they) are slow to make up their mind, tend to make a final decision at the very last minute possible and cave in under pressure.Can't say all that augers very well for the final deal later this year.

Back