• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

My understanding is that the quotas were to be divided on consumption levels, worked out over a three year period....is that not the case?

It is how we and the EU agreed to proceed.

However, the letter penned by the US (I believe), supported by other members of the WTO says.... "Such an outcome would not be consistent with the principle of leaving other [WTO] members no worse off, nor fully honour the existing TRQ access commitments. Thus, we cannot accept such an agreement."

It is how we and the EU agreed to proceed.

However, the letter penned by the US (I believe), supported by other members of the WTO says.... "Such an outcome would not be consistent with the principle of leaving other [WTO] members no worse off, nor fully honour the existing TRQ access commitments. Thus, we cannot accept such an agreement."

Yes I have seen the letter, and the text you quote is directly from it.

However the important part is the paragraph that precedes it...where it states that quotas cannot be determined on historical averages...that is inconsistent with the EU/UK proposal is it not?

Yes I have seen the letter, and the text you quote is directly from it.

However the important part is the paragraph that precedes it...where it states that quotas cannot be determined on historical averages...that is inconsistent with the EU/UK proposal is it not?

Yes, that's my understanding.

Possibly the first of the assumptions we'd made that in reality can't happen.

I am at an EU working group next week in Germany. It will be interesting to see if I am sat in naughty corner......

Yes, that's my understanding.

Possibly the first of the assumptions we'd made that in reality can't happen.

I am at an EU working group next week in Germany. It will be interesting to see if I am sat in naughty corner......

The Germans have been in the naughty corner a few times over the years themselves I wouldn't worry,they don't.

Boys. Comment was tongue in cheek.

I'll get the seat in the corner ..... I always do.....

.....but that's because the seating plan is laid out in alphabetical order, and UK is last.

The line is that we act in exactly the same way we did before we triggered A50. And that's how it should be.

Whether Cameron offered the referendum to the British people in order to preserve his Conservative hide or as an advancement of democracy, is a debateable issue. What was criminal on Cameron's part was to propose a referendum on such a profound and complex change to Britain's future, on a simple majority. To set in motion the enormous changes and disruption we can now see Brexit is bringing about should have required, at least a 60% (and possibly more) vote. The fact it didn't was down to his sheer arrogance and cocksuredness.................it's that which is unforgiveable.

Can't argue with that

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41733429

You can see the EU are really worried by the Uk's negotiating stance over Brexit. :winking:

I know its not the guardian, but could we have a bit of context? Maybe an explanation of what the link says?

I see Barnier has said what I've been saying all along. "It will take years to negotiate a free trade deal".

Now I know there are clearly some games going on here, neither UK or EU wish to look weak or concede unnecessarily.

I know its not the guardian, but could we have a bit of context? Maybe an explanation of what the link says?

I see Barnier has said what I've been saying all along. "It will take years to negotiate a free trade deal".

Now I know there are clearly some games going on here, neither UK or EU wish to look weak or concede unnecessarily.

The "context" was provided in the article.My comment on it was ironic, as the smiley suggested.I assume most people on SZ are literate and can read the link for themselves if they care to.

Meanwhile, it would appear that our very own Mr Davis doesn't seem to agree with you or Mr Barnier,since he thinks a trade deal with the EU can be signed in "a nano second" after we leave.http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41747036

Last edited:
The "context" was provided in the article.My comment on it was ironic, as the smiley suggested.I assume most people on SZ are literate and can read the link for themseves if they care to.

You do set yourself up sometimes.

But on the point we've discussed with you at length Barna: if you want to debate a point or make a point, do so. If you're just sharing a link for people to read to find out just why you posted it, we'll just delete it. This is a discussion forum, not a collection of links to other sites.

The "context" was provided in the article.My comment on it was ironic, as the smiley suggested.I assume most people on SZ are literate and can read the link for themselves if they care to.

Meanwhile, it would appear that our very own Mr Davis doesn't seem to agree with you or Mr Barnier,since he thinks a trade deal with the EU can be signed in "a nano second" after we leave.http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41747036

You do set yourself up sometimes.

But on the point we've discussed with you at length Barna: if you want to debate a point or make a point, do so. If you're just sharing a link for people to read to find out just why you posted it, we'll just delete it. This is a discussion forum, not a collection of links to other sites.

I made the points I wanted to make quite clearly above ,thank you.

Telegraph, Sky News, Business Insider all running stories about cabinet members complaining about David Davis keeping them out of the loop, being lazy with his three day week, one quote that he has 'mentally checked out' on Brexit. Doesn't sound encouraging.

Telegraph, Sky News, Business Insider all running stories about cabinet members complaining about David Davis keeping them out of the loop, being lazy with his three day week, one quote that he has 'mentally checked out' on Brexit. Doesn't sound encouraging.

FWIW,it's my opinion that the Brexit negotiations are going much less well than the British people are being encouraged to believe by DD et al.Inevitably, the UK will have to accept an unfavourable deal imposed on them by the 27, or crash out of the EU on WTO terms.Either way, the UK's short term or medium term economic prospects after Brexit, don't appear to be anywhere near as rosy as they were spun during the referendum campaign.

FWIW,it's my opinion that the Brexit negotiations are going much less well than the British people are being encouraged to believe by DD et al.Inevitably, the UK will have to accept an unfavourable deal imposed on them by the 27, or crash out of the EU on WTO terms.Either way, the UK's short term or medium term economic prospects after Brexit, don't appear to be anywhere near as rosy as they were spun during the referendum campaign.
just on very basic terms Boris Johnson and friends told us to expect to be £350m a week better off, and I don't recall any mention of a divorce bill during the referendum. Before even looking at potential fall in investment and increased trading tariffs - I think a lot of Leavers expected leaving would be financially beneficial. A cost to leave will be a shock for many.

No mention of Tusk being much more upbeat and even Juncker toneing down the anti UK sentiment? I wonder why.

Much more fun to knock us it would seem. Much of as you were from Spain, nothing new there, but utterings ariseing in Surrey with alarming regularity. Becoming a tad selective with the reports.

Back