• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Ha! Funnily enough I was just checking how to renew my UK passport online.Fortunately I don't have to worry about that seriously until next May.:winking:

Do you still qualify ?......Once we are properly out lets hope they put a stop to that.:winking:

I'd say a 10 year limit would be fair.

Do you still qualify ?......Once we are properly out lets hope they put a stop to that.:winking:

I'd say a 10 year limit would be fair.

My passport's valid for 10 years of course.At least I don't have to swear allegiance to the Royal Family to renew my UK passport,which I would have to do, to take out Spanish citizenship...:whistling:

My passport's valid for 10 years of course.At least I don't have to swear allegiance to the Royal Family to renew my UK passport,which I would have to do, to take out Spanish citizenship...:whistling:

I meant anyone who lives outside Britain for 10 years, on second thoughts make that 5, should have to pass a test to see if we allow you back.

Moving away from the bickering for one moment the FT are reporting that Davis' lack of tact (nicest way of putting it) has rather major consequences:

'In response to Davis' comments, EU leaders have altered draft summit conclusions to remove a suggestion that 'preliminary and preparatory discussions' on a trade deal will begin in the New Year. All talks now put off until March 22-23 summit'.

Nadine Dorries was good value on Twitter last night and this morning calling for fellow Tory MP's to be de-selected and referring to them as traitors for voting for Parliamentary democracy. Daily Mail taking the same attitude unsurprisingly.

The high court have now ruled that rough sleepers from EU can't be deported. So I guess many that were, will be returning next summer. Obviously this puts a further strain on the NHS and police service etc.

Southend High street is already no-go area for many locals, as was the cliffs because of the illegal campsite.

I stopped using the stairs on the cliffs for exercise. Drunken Eastern Europeans at 11:00 don't bother me like they do women. It was the stench of human waste that I found so overpowering. Especially as stair work means you really do have to suck it in deep.

The high court have now ruled that rough sleepers from EU can't be deported. So I guess many that were, will be returning next summer. Obviously this puts a further strain on the NHS and police service etc.

Southend High street is already no-go area for many locals, as was the cliffs because of the illegal campsite.

I stopped using the stairs on the cliffs for exercise. Drunken Eastern Europeans at 11:00 don't bother me like they do women. It was the stench of human waste that I found so overpowering. Especially as stair work means you really do have to suck it in deep.

No worse than the old north bank bogs.

What makes you so sure? Also I guess you reckon we'll be leaving the EU without a deal then ie on WTO terms?

No one including myself or the BBC can predict the future....your own learning experience on SZ should have taught you this by now.

If we don't reach an agreement with the EU that can pass through parliament then our default options would be WTO or to look at ignoring the advice to Leave the EU that the UK Referendum delivered.

No one including myself or the BBC can predict the future....your own learning experience on SZ should have taught you this by now.

If we don't reach an agreement with the EU that can pass through parliament then our default options would be WTO or to look at ignoring the advice to Leave the EU that the UK Referendum delivered.

Do you not think there should be a second referendum if the latter was the case, one that is strictly based on facts rather than "project fear" and hyperbole?

Do you not think there should be a second referendum if the latter was the case, one that is strictly based on facts rather than "project fear" and hyperbole?

No I don't think there should be another referendum.....the option should only be that if we are not going to leave then Parliament makes that decision....and ignores the advice that was given to them in 2016.

Last edited:
No I don't think there should be another referendum.....the option should only be that if we are not going to leave then Parliament makes that decision....and ignores the advice that was given to them in 2016.

And that's the key word. "Advice" that many people don't pick that up. Brexit is not an instruction.

And to answer the Hard Brexit question...

I think its still a possibility, much will depend on how a vote in the commons is handled. It is entirely possibly that rejecting a deal to leave would be seen as leaving with no deal (which isn't the intention of the amendment) or equally that the deal is so bad that we have to stay (the EU would probably be in a take it or leave it scenario).

A lot will depend on whether the 31 March date is retained in the Bill. If it is removed, it gives UKG some wriggle room to extend negotiations. If not, then legally a decision needs to be implemented at that time.

I can see a thinker in the Tory Party working this one out and as a result the date is removed.

For what it's worth here's what I think will happen between now and March 19th (or whatever date).

The EU will say they must have this and must have that. The UK Government will say we must have this and must have that.

In reality both will sides compromise to such an extent that both get some semblance of what was demanded and we leave with a soft, clean Brexit.

Why do I think that? Well, for more reasons than I care to list here really but primarily because both parties, both the EU as a whole and the UK, have far, far to much to lose by us leaving on 'hard' Brexit terms.

For what it's worth here's what I think will happen between now and March 19th (or whatever date).

The EU will say they must have this and must have that. The UK Government will say we must have this and must have that.

In reality both will sides compromise to such an extent that both get some semblance of what was demanded and we leave with a soft, clean Brexit.

Why do I think that? Well, for more reasons than I care to list here really but primarily because both parties, both the EU as a whole and the UK, have far, far to much to lose by us leaving on 'hard' Brexit terms.

Yes, I think that's quite a plausible scenario (though it depends, of course, how you define a soft brexit) Yet, surely it's one which will please neither leavers nor remainers, the former stating, it's not what people voted for in the referendum and the latter claiming that so much time, energy, effort and expense has been wasted in securing a deal which is worse than the one we had.

Yes, I think that's quite a plausible scenario (though it depends, of course, how you define a soft brexit) Yet, surely it's one which will please neither leavers nor remainers, the former stating, it's not what people voted for in the referendum and the latter claiming that so much time, energy, effort and expense has been wasted in securing a deal which is worse than the one we had.

I don't think anyone knows what they voted for. It's a complete balls up all round.

Back