• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017: England V South Africa & West Indies

I think it's safe to say that unless Westley scores a triple century in his last innings, he will be enjoying Christmas at home with his family tucking into the turkey with the central heating on, as a pose to having a couple of BBQ shrimps with the lads on an Australian beach somewhere. :smile:

Now there's a silver lining! :thumbsup:

Just checked the weather, currently it looks like Lords will be a washout tomorrow. After watching our batting display, i'm not sure if that's a blessing or not. :unsure:

Last edited:
107 to Win. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we can mop this victory up by the end of the day & surely we will have Cook and Westley available now for Tuesday.

All wrapped up & a deserved series win. Also an improved performance by Westley to finish on 40 n/o.

:happy:

107 to Win. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we can mop this victory up by the end of the day & surely we will have Cook and Westley available now for Tuesday.
Cook is under central contract so I doubt the ECB will release him (same with Anderson), especially with The Ashes coming up and question marks over Stoneman. God forbid if AC breaks a finger or something in the remaining three CC matches. Westley no problem.

Cook is under central contract so I doubt the ECB will release him (same with Anderson), especially with The Ashes coming up and question marks over Stoneman. God forbid if AC breaks a finger or something in the remaining three CC matches. Westley no problem.

I see your point, but I can't see any logical reason why the ECB wouldn't release Cook now. If anything, I would imagine they would like to review his performances in county cricket over the last few games of the season (considering his last couple off innings against the Windies). Not that he will get dropped of course.

It really is about "playing it safe" in terms of keeping him out of a county squad due to being possibly injured, why did they allow him to bat for Essex against Middlesex in late June (Just 6 days before the South African test series started?).

Besides, Cook doesn't feature for England in any ODI's or T20's anymore & the 1st Ashes match doesn't start until the 23rd of November, so even in the unlikely chance he did break his finger, it normally only takes about a month to heal.

As for Stoneman, unfortunately I think he is our only other viable option of the trialists. Maybe the phrase "unfortunate" is a bit extreme, but he does blow hot and cold. IMO, He's slightly more consistent than Westley though.

Last summer, centrally contracted players who weren't part of the ODI set-up were released, but those that were ODI contracted, were not allowed to play.

On that basis, Cooky should be OK to play.

He did last season for us.

I've just noticed that if we beat the Windies on Saturday night in the T20 (live on sky by BTW, not long after the Southend game finishes). We will become the number one T20 international team in the world, according to the ICC rankings. Yet another reason to do sod all, & crack open a nice cold beer. :thumbsup:

Shame about the rain, I was enjoying that run chase. Oh well, at least is was another good day for us cricket fans, as England win the match by the (DLS method) As well as the series.

If India can beat Australia tomorrow, and we can win our last match against the Windies on Friday, we can go up to 3rd in the ODI world rankings.

Back