• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017: England V South Africa & West Indies

I'd agree, give Hales a go. Not checked their first class averages but surely Malian (who I'd always considered a short form player) doesn't have much better pedigree than Hales but Hales's potentially could be higher, given he has proven he can mentally hack it in the international game (in the short format).

Was discussing this with a friend, I also think Hales is a good bet and Malian seems to be a very very odd choice. The worry at the top of the order is that Cook not only seems to be unable to find a partner but its been a while since he has been pushing his 40-60 scores onto 130-150 scores.

Ok,.. so we move on from a tough(ish) test against the safa's & now onto the Windies later this morning (or should I say afternoon).

Our first test later is a day / night game.. The first for an England national team at home I believe?

I would like to know, how fellow SZ cricket fans feel about the format of the game and the pink ball etc.

Personally i'm ok with the idea of day / night test cricket in general, I just feel it should have been played earlier in the summer (say in one of the test matches against South Africa, earlier in July). & again against the West Indies, purely for the benefit of experience to the players for the forthcoming Ashes series.

My point being, is that sunset will be around 20:15 and declining to around 20:00 by the end of the 1st test. Whilst we may need to bat or bowl until 21:30 if extra overs are needed.

No point in day/night cricket over here as the twilight is too long and we don't need to bolster crowds for test matches. A lot of them are sold out anyway.

I'm anti day/night longer format cricket, anyway.

It's all to raise prime-time revenue from advertisers for TV coverage.

No point in day/night cricket over here as the twilight is too long and we don't need to bolster crowds for test matches. A lot of them are sold out anyway.

I'm anti day/night longer format cricket, anyway.

It's all to raise prime-time revenue from advertisers for TV coverage.

No it isn't. Sky Sports and ECB's business model is not TV advertiser dependent. If it was, this match would be on ITV/C4 etc.

Day/night cricket is being tried because test cricket is dying around the world and it needs saving. It doesn't get near selling out at any venue except in London either. Just look at the crowds for day 4 of the last test match we played...and that was with England winning well!

I like the idea of day/night cricket generally but don't think it will be a long term thing here - our wonderful weather and more gradual nightfall being two main factors against it. On the flip side, I'm looking forward to being able to watch some live Test cricket when I get home tonight!

Would like to see them give it a go in the West Indies, which seems ideally suited to it.

After today, there are three more currently in the schedule around the world - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day/night_cricket#List_of_day.2Fnight_tests

Last edited:
No it isn't. Sky Sports and ECB's business model is not TV advertiser dependent. If it was, this match would be on ITV/C4 etc.

Day/night cricket is being tried because test cricket is dying around the world and it needs saving. It doesn't get near selling out at any venue except in London either. Just look at the crowds for day 4 of the last test match we played...and that was with England winning well!

Fair comment, but crowds around the world have very rarely been sold out in the past.

Cricket isn't dependent on Test Match revenue anyway. Most money is made from T20 and ODI sales.

In the experiments with day/night tests, those crowds haven't been much greater than when there are day only test matches.

It's hardly a gate receipts money-spinner and logistically, getting home at the end of play in a day/night match is a lot more problematic.

Plus, the weather/temperature issues mentioned above and dew issues in the sub-continent.

I saw the end of the Essex v Middlesex Championship match the other week. It's not good viewing, watching it from the stands, either.

I like the idea of day/night cricket generally but don't think it will be a long term thing here - our wonderful weather and more gradual nightfall being two main factors against it. On the flip side, I'm looking forward to being able to watch some live Test cricket when I get home tonight!

Would like to see them give it a go in the West Indies, which seems ideally suited to it.

After today, there are three more currently in the schedule around the world - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day/night_cricket#List_of_day.2Fnight_tests

Day/night cricket is the future.

I think it's early to be experimenting with it in tests before things like the ball have been sorted, but cricket is the only sport that's predominantly played when the majority of people are working. That has to be wrong.

It also seems crazy that people on a football message board are complaining that August evenings will be too cold to watch.

Apparently people were like this when World Series cricket was introduced; I seem to remember members decrying T20 cricket as a gimmick as well.

The future of cricket is floodlit and under roofs. It's only a matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day/night cricket is the future.

I think it's early to be experimenting with it in tests before things like the ball have been sorted, but cricket is the only sport that's predominantly played when the majority of people are working. That has to be wrong.

It also seems crazy that people on a football message board are complaining that August evenings will be too cold to watch.

Apparently people were like this when World Series cricket was introduced; I seem to remember members decrying T20 cricket as a gimmick as well.

The future of cricket is floodlit and under roofs. It's only a matter of time.

Golf, Olympics to name 2

Golf, Olympics to name 2

Golf is a type of VW car or a pastime of bores, not a sport.

The Olympics is an event rather than a sport and its show piece finals are scheduled at peak viewing times (i.e. outside of the working day) where possible. Outside of the Olympics the individual sports will usually be scheduled for weekends and evenings.

Im off to real cricket :happy: now to see The Eagles down The spitfires, at least I wont see that knob Rob Keys there commentating

Come on you Eagles

Interesting to hear the views of the sky sports commentators on the whole day / night cricket subject. They didn't say they were against it, but did say it was a bit of a faff for just an hours worth of floodlight cricket, and that it makes more sense in places abroad such as Dubai due to the heat and the sun sets quickly & earlier around 5.30pm (i'm guessing there was one held there recently?).

Good to see our man Cook get his 31st International Test hundred :thumbsup: He finishes the day on 153 not out, lets hope he pushes on from here & gets 200+. Root deserves a mention too for he's #136.

Shame about Westley, if he doesnt pick up some decent runnings in the next few innings, I can't see him boarding the plane to Australia for the ashes. The big problem is, I can't realistically see anyone much better at the moment as a replacement (Stoneman was equally as poor today, as was Jennings when he was batting against South Africa in the last test).

End of play: England 348/3. I'm happy as it was a great recovery, considering we were just 39/2 at one stage. I'm thinking we should bat through tomorrow, get to in and around 600 runs, then see what Anderson, Broad and Ali can do with bowling the new pink ball against the Windies.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrows play, especially seeing how long Cook can hold out for, and how our middle batting will perform, such as Bairstow, Stokes and Moeen.

Last edited:
and their batting :smile:

Although to be fair, Englands bowling has been great today. :thumbsup:

Wow! just brilliant stuff from England! Absolutely destroyed them, winning by an Innings and 209 runs.

19 wickets taken today & we wrap up the test a whole 2 days early!!... Question... Anyone know when the last time we did that??

Also, well done to Broad for knocking Ian Botham off his 2nd all time wicket taking spot. First time since 1984 I believe.

The TMS charity cricket match : Boycott v Agnew T20 challenge is live on BBC RB (Channel 980) at 4pm if anyone is interested.

Back