• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2017

Crazy win in a crazy season.

What's the best county championship team record across a season? I'm struggling to find the answer....but with British weather there can't have been many better then ours....

I don't wish bad luck on anyone but with Roland-Jones injured, Porter must be in the running for a ashes place. No English bowler is near him with wickets taken this season.[/QUOTE

For his sake I'd rather he debuted in an English home season as the ashes could be a chastening experience. He clearly deserves the chance though as he has been phenomenal this year and his record is well clear of any other English bowler.

I know people are worried about his lack of height and pace but Philander for South Africa has shown what can be achieved with cricket skills rather than physical gifts. (Actually, I wonder what his stats are like in Australia)

Mats 5

Inns 9

Wkts 16

Ave 30.12

Eco 2.82

SR 63.93

5Ws 1

MoM 0

MoS 1

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/zones/insights?insights=player&player_id=46935

his usual average is 22, strike rate 49 but the economy rate is similar. I'd also be worried about throwing Porter in to an away Ashes but he deserves to be in the conversation

I don't usually agree with removing a player's best match from their stats...but Philander's stats there in Australia are significantly boosted by a 5-21 on a damp greentop in Hobart last year. He's been ineffective on their traditional pitches that we'll face.

I don't usually agree with removing a player's best match from their stats...but Philander's stats there in Australia are significantly boosted by a 5-21 on a damp greentop in Hobart last year. He's been ineffective on their traditional pitches that we'll face.

fair point, but has won a man of the series over there

Echo the Boycie sentiments.

1973 was the first year I saw an Essex match. Dad took me to the New Zealand Tour Match at Chalkwell Park.

I remember being back there in 1976 for a CCC match against Worcestershire. The day we racked up 499 in 100 overs. Boyce made a whirlwind 75, including depositing John Inchmore for about 28 in one over. Most disappearing way over the crowd and into the makeshift car park at the bottom end of the ground.

I even bowled a few deliveries at him in a pre-match warm-up at Southchurch Park. He was injured at that point, so wasn't playing, but had a net on the outfield and when the other players went into the pavilion to prepare for the match, he stayed out and let all us kids have a bowl at him, signing autographs afterwards.

He also had the most tremendous throw. Hurled in from the boundary at lightning speed, thudding into the gloves.

Always a bit of a hero and was sad he was taken at such a young age.
was at the M/sex game,either 72 or 73??
It was a sunday league game,he got a hat-trick.
I was with about another 30 North bankers,one was David.CR,
When he got his 3rd wicket the crowd were going mental,it all went quite when he ran up and bowled the 4th ball,the batsman just dabbed the ball foreward....then Davy.C, shouted out,.....COME ON BOYCIE PULL YOUR WEIGHT....
Everyone who heard it in the crowd bust out laughing
He was a good player...and David Cr a great bloke(still)

What an odd thing to be doing.

We have a CCC match starting tomorrow and Silverwood's strength has been his team-building skills in our 4-day format.

Our one-day side haven't done great.

Also, why would England need any help with their one-day side, anyway?

What an odd thing to be doing.

We have a CCC match starting tomorrow and Silverwood's strength has been his team-building skills in our 4-day format.

Our one-day side haven't done great.

Also, why would England need any help with their one-day side, anyway?

He's one of 3 candidates to replace Otis Gibson

Last edited:
England have had coaches with them all summer, swapping tips and stuff like that. happens every game I think, certainly all the limited overs games

Why though. Why does Eoin Morgan, Ben Stokes and the like need coaches.

Don't they know how to play cricket! :facepalm:

I'm all for a head coach, like at county level and when youngsters need some tips and adjustments on their skills, but surely once you reach International level, you should know what you are doing.

Why though.Why does Eoin Morgan, Ben Stokes and the like need coaches.

Don't they know how to play cricket! :facepalm:

I'm all for a head coach, like at county level and when youngsters need some tips and adjustments on their skills, but surely once you reach International level, you should know what you are doing.

Think after another woeful match with the bat, perhaps he needs to look at his technique, I've never been a fan of his,but wish him well to sort out the problem,maybe now mental and needs a big score to give him confidence

Yep, but does he really need some coach there to sort that out.

Surely he can just view his own dismissals and make the adjustment, if he needs to.

Never been a fan of Morgan. Not a fan of his captaincy, and it doesn't help that his batting has been woeful for a long time now. The weakest player in the team IMHO.

I remember the days when we were in awe of Yorkshire CCC, and would inevitably roll over when we played them. How times have changed. Come on you Champs!

Bet there some banter between Porter and Harmer , to see who will be leading wicket taker this year, would be fitting if both got the same number

Porter 70 Harmer 67

Never been a fan of Morgan. Not a fan of his captaincy, and it doesn't help that his batting has been woeful for a long time now. The weakest player in the team IMHO.

Be interesting to see if he remains captain.

On current form, he is in the side because of this alone.

Jason Roy has scored more runs in the last year or so.

Essex 142.7, at this rate we will have Yorkshire out by close of play, and maybe we will be batting again :winking::happy:

UTE

Going to morrow, fingers crossed for the weather

Could have been worse. good to see the lower order chipping in with some vital runs again. I would love to see Harmer, Porter and Cook destroy their batting to send Yorkshire down!

Back