• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2017

Sadly, Somerset collapse from 206-5 to 236 all out, which means that Yorkshire won't be relegated now. :sad:

On slightly better news, we pick up a batting point as we reach 200 runs at last.

Sadly, Somerset collapse from 206-5 to 236 all out, which means that Yorkshire won't be relegated now. :sad:

On slightly better news, we pick up a batting point as we reach 200 runs at last.

I'm all for having testing conditions and making batting a bit tougher, but how are Somerset constantly allowed to get away with producing completely under-prepared or used pitches.

Ravi Patel. A slow left armer who is mainly a 2nd XI player for Middlesex and who has played 23 first class games in seven years, takes seven wickets on the first day.

Somerset then open the bowling with a spinner and Middlesex are suddenly 5 for 3.

I remember Essex losing the championship title for producing a sub-standard pitch at Southchurch Park. A pitch Nasser Hussain scored a century on. Yet Somerset are clearly bending the rules far more, here.

Essex 227 all out.

Not a bad recovery really, considering we were 80-5 at one stage. Well done to Harmer for getting he's season best of 64.

Hopefully we can pick up a few wickets in the fading light of the day.

Edit: Shame, Looks like play has ended for the day due to bad light. (22 overs lost today).

I don't usually agree with removing a player's best match from their stats...but Philander's stats there in Australia are significantly boosted by a 5-21 on a damp greentop in Hobart last year. He's been ineffective on their traditional pitches that we'll face.

Like Stuart Clark he got off to a fast start in international cricket with favourable match-ups and I suspect like Stuart Clark his figures will be ok as he'll get injured before his average can regress to the mean.

I think Porter may be a better bowler.

Never been a fan of Morgan. Not a fan of his captaincy, and it doesn't help that his batting has been woeful for a long time now. The weakest player in the team IMHO.

Really? What do you dislike about Morgan's captaincy?

That relegation battle and the promotion one at the top of Div 2 are fast becoming one for the mathematicians.

It's not inconceivable that three counties could all finish on the same number of points, in both scenarios.

Then it comes down to all manner of things.

Well, Middlesex are now firmly in trouble, though they've reported the pitch and the ECB are sending a fella down tonight to check it out.

Essex first innings total of 227 didn't look all that daunting yesterday but with Yorkshire skittled out for 111 it now looks pretty good. Entire season unbeaten? that would be good.

Jeez, talk about a fast moving match. 2 down already but 200ish to get may be a step too far........hopefully.

Middlesex seemingly in a mess, but Hampshire helping them out as they are 13-3!

Shame bad light stopped play early again today, I was really enjoying that. Hope Lawrence can reach a ton tomorrow. Pretty much have this in the bag, with a healthy 250 lead and 8 wickets remaining.

Do you think we will bat until lunch or tea regardless and then declare, or declare sooner (say around a 330+ lead) and try and wrap it up by close of play tomorrow.

Lawrence just gone for 83 which is a shame. I reckon 300 lead would probably be enough but would like to just completely bat them out the game as going unbeaten for the whole season would be a heck of an achievement!

Bat until tea if we can.

Lead will be well over 400 by then and we'll have 4 sessions to bowl them out.

Hampshire all out, so just hoping Warwickshire can make a decent fist of it today.

Went yesterday and the things I noticed a bit like the Old W.Indies and Australia, our bowlers hunted in packs

The batsmen had no respite from either end whether pace or spin

If honest as Champions only one player on the plane for Ashes from Essex very disappointed

UTE

340 lead now.

Warwickshire putting in another sterling batting display! :blush::facepalm:

Me too. Especially after they've signed a load of players on the basis they'll be in Division 1!

Back