• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2017

I'm actually going to defend Essex's chase tonight, at least the intent.

They walked out to bat knowing Hampshire were 13/3 chasing 189 versus the team we had to outdo on net run rate to go through. It looked like we initially went out there trying to chase these in 16-17 overs. Hampshire are now 73/8 so wouldn't have made a difference.

I'm actually going to defend Essex's chase tonight, at least the intent.

They walked out to bat knowing Hampshire were 13/3 chasing 189 versus the team we had to outdo on net run rate to go through. It looked like we initially went out there trying to chase these in 16-17 overs. Hampshire are now 73/8 so wouldn't have made a difference.

I doubt they would have told them or kept the scores going but even so. If we had chased it in 17/18 overs we could have qualified I think.

I doubt they would have told them or kept the scores going but even so. If we had chased it in 17/18 overs we could have qualified I think.

Of course they would have.

In the end we would have had to have chased 173 in enough overs to overhaul Somerset's NRR gain from a 89 run victory, no real chance. Shame we lost most tight matches we had but that's T20.

Of course they would have.

In the end we would have had to have chased 173 in enough overs to overhaul Somerset's NRR gain from a 89 run victory, no real chance. Shame we lost most tight matches we had but that's T20.

I think that was the difference this year, about 3 or 4 games, especially at the start of the campaign, we lost when we could of easily won one or two of them.

On a somewhat positive note, at least we have Mo Amir back as an option for the home match against Somerset on the 28th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40979785

Edit:

Also, am I right in thinking we could possibly have Cook & Westley back in the Essex team, in time for the Warwickshire match on the 12th Sept?, Say,...If England or the Windies wrap it up a day or so early?

I don't want to curse it, but that would be a big bonus, but considering how we have done without them isn't a major loss. As long as they are back for the Hampshire & Yorkshire games, I will be happy.

UTE

:happy:

Last edited:
After all the huffing and puffing tonight, neither team qualified.

We definitely need a hitter at the top of the order. I think we know that, as well, having drafted Tamim in.

Otherwise, I think we have a decent balance to our side.

After all the huffing and puffing tonight, neither team qualified.

We definitely need a hitter at the top of the order. I think we know that, as well, having drafted Tamim in.

Otherwise, I think we have a decent balance to our side.

Whilst they didn't start the season opening, Chopra averaged 38.82 at a strike-rate of 159.33 and Wheater averaged 27.80 at a strike-rate of 156.17. That'll work. Dan Lawrence (who opened or was at 3) had the next best strike-rate of 141.56.

The problem was more our middle order and our best Championship bowlers (Porter and Harmer) both going at over 9 an over without the same wicket taking threat they've shown with the red ball. Zaidi, who was such an integral player in T20 last year, had a horrid season, averaging 12.72 at an average of 113.82 with the bat and averaging 31.085 with the ball at an economy of 9.29. A return to form for him in both disciplines would transfer this side.

Anyway, in more important matters Amir can apparently now stay.

We miss Masters bowling at the death and Pettini with his steady action

We all knew they would be hard to replace,but the team has done exceptionally well,considering we have just been promoted and lost Cook and Westie and our overseas T20 batsmen after just one game

I will say it again who thought we would have this season, it's been brilliant and way above all expectations , you only have to ask Kent and Warwickshire supporters who would bite off your hand

We miss Masters bowling at the death and Pettini with his steady action

We all knew they would be hard to replace,but the team has done exceptionally well,considering we have just been promoted and lost Cook and Westie and our overseas T20 batsmen after just one game

I will say it again who thought we would have this season, it's been brilliant and way above all expectations , you only have to ask Kent and Warwickshire supporters who would bite off your hand

Think you might mean Napier? Nothing steady about Pettini's bowling!
Think he's been dropped from the Leicestershire side which is sad to see but I thought a rather strange signing anyway.
All about getting home in the championship now and with the weather being so rubbish, I think we have a wonderful chance with the bowlers we have. Our batting line up needs strengthening for next season. Chopra and Wheater have both been poor, Bopara not much better and Tendo is coming to the end of a decent career - as is Foster.
This season is without doubt our best chance, next season too many players are going to be past it.

Think you might mean Napier? Nothing steady about Pettini's bowling!
Think he's been dropped from the Leicestershire side which is sad to see but I thought a rather strange signing anyway.
All about getting home in the championship now and with the weather being so rubbish, I think we have a wonderful chance with the bowlers we have. Our batting line up needs strengthening for next season. Chopra and Wheater have both been poor, Bopara not much better and Tendo is coming to the end of a decent career - as is Foster.
This season is without doubt our best chance, next season too many players are going to be past it.

Yep sorry too much wine, Napier is the one lol
Do agree re the age side of things, but Fozzie has been a model behind the stumps,since his return to the side

Ravi batting and bowling is very up and down this season , but come on who thought the league is in our hands

Loved this season evens with the lows in the cup, Chelmsford is rocking again and that's good enough for me

Am I right in thinking we will have Cook back for the last 3 matches of the season, starting at Warwickshire on the 12th September? or is it normally not done (ie being to soon) as the last England test match against the Windies currently plans to finish possibly in the early evening of the 11th September? (hopefully sooner if it helps).

He doesn't feature in the ODI's or T20's anymore for England does he?

Am I right in thinking we will have Cook back for the last 3 matches of the season, starting at Warwickshire on the 12th September? or is it normally not done (ie being to soon) as the last England test match against the Windies currently plans to finish possibly in the early evening of the 11th September? (hopefully sooner if it helps).

He doesn't play limited overs cricket for England anymore so I don't see why we wouldn't have back.

He's contracted to the ECB so up to them if he plays or not. With a bit of a gap between last test against Windies and the tour down under I think Bayliss will give the all clear - I'll break his thumbs if he don't :winking:

We've won the toss and are batting. :cool::thumbsup:

Team :-

Browne, Chopra, Lawrence, Bopara, Wheater, ten Doeschate*, Foster, Walter, Harmer, Amir, Porter.

An Essex win and Lancashire loss would be lovely and set us up well next week.

And Middlesex beating Surrey would be nice too (not that it really effects us currently).

we need to show some fairly serious guts here. Not the best start, and also probably only have 8 or 9 first division quality players given injuries and international calls

Back