• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2017

Great stuff. :thumbsup:

There was also something in the Echo today that Callum Taylor, Arun Nijjar and Feroze Khushi have signed deals, as well.

I've seen the former two play (Nijjar was against Australia in 2015). Was quite impressed with him.

Don't know too much about Khushi, in truth.

Great stuff. :thumbsup:

There was also something in the Echo today that Callum Taylor, Arun Nijjar and Feroze Khushi have signed deals, as well.

I've seen the former two play (Nijjar was against Australia in 2015). Was quite impressed with him.

Don't know too much about Khushi, in truth.

Bit of digging on Khushi.

Top run-scorer this summer at Wanstead & Snaresbrook, playing alongside Nijjar and Velani, there. They won the club championship and were second to Chelmsford in the Essex League.

Local club talent being used again, football could learn so much.

I really hope the day never comes when "overseas" players make up an entire team, we once said it would never happen in football......

Fully for teams having top overseas players in their teams to fuel the crowds on a cold Thursday with grey skies, but for the good of the game, we must keep teams alive with young talent, so it can be fed through the international ranks

Essex season will be interesting next year, but one thing for sure the future looks bright on the domestic scene in the county

Dan Lawrence may just be my favourite ever batsman. Wrists made of iron, some of his shots are ridiculous. Glad he's signed a new deal.

Also pleased with Matt Coles signing, good record in all formats but will really help us in white ball cricket. It's an exciting winter now that we are one of these clubs to join, not leave, thankfully a far cry from the Grayson days.

Dan Lawrence may just be my favourite ever batsman. Wrists made of iron, some of his shots are ridiculous. Glad he's signed a new deal.

Also pleased with Matt Coles signing, good record in all formats but will really help us in white ball cricket. It's an exciting winter now that we are one of these clubs to join, not leave, thankfully a far cry from the Grayson days.

I'm not sure I'd have been keen on the Coles signing under Grayson but under Silverwood I think there's actually a chance we could harness Coles' wayward talent.

K*nt supporters don't rate his limited overs bowling.

Lawrence signing is excellent news but totally expected. Why would anyone want to leave Essex at the moment? If anything I'm a little disappointed it's not for longer. As you say he's a ridiculous talent.

I'm not sure I'd have been keen on the Coles signing under Grayson but under Silverwood I think there's actually a chance we could harness Coles' wayward talent.

K*nt supporters don't rate his limited overs bowling.

Lawrence signing is excellent news but totally expected. Why would anyone want to leave Essex at the moment? If anything I'm a little disappointed it's not for longer. As you say he's a ridiculous talent.

Though I agree with you YB re length of contract, I feel two years is about correct in regards to contracts , one bad year for him and Essex and back in basement league, could mean bigger wages to absorb with smaller revenue from TV

Chelmsford cricket ground is too small to accommodate bigger salaries, and with no big revenue for Test games we have to live within our budgets

UTE

And the next to sign a contract extension is Westley...although not new recruits these are great signings by the club!

Last edited:
Just need Cook to have an awlful Ashes series, get hung up to dry from every newspaper, announce his retirement from International cricket due to the media coverage and play for Essex all next season

Be a perfect end to the year :smile:

Thank you Chris Silverwood.

You rescued us from the despair of the directionless Grayson years and delivered not just promotion but then one of the most memorable seasons ever.

Having selected and stuck with the youngsters like Lawrence, Walter and recently master chef (and with the likes of Beard having got their feet wet as well) we now find ourselves in a far stronger position that the one you inherited.

I just hope you have as much success with England as you did with us this last two seasons

:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

Thank you Chris Silverwood.

You rescued us from the despair of the directionless Grayson years and delivered not just promotion but then one of the most memorable seasons ever.

Having selected and stuck with the youngsters like Lawrence, Walter and recently master chef (and with the likes of Beard having got their feet wet as well) we now find ourselves in a far stronger position that the one you inherited.

I just hope you have as much success with England as you did with us this last two seasons

:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

Amen to all of the above. A shame Silverwood is leaving Essex, but at least it is to England and not another county or country.

Best of luck, coach.

I fear he might have just left himself short here. I'd think there's a good chance that Bayliss might come under pressure if he get thumped in the Ashes, then Silverwood would have been in prime position for the main job.
Although this being England we'd probably look abroad again.
I'd have gone for Graham Welch, his record with bowlers is excellent.

Anyway, my thanks to Chris Silverwood for improving us so much, he'll always be a legend for his time here. The club got his appointment right so I have faith we'll do so again.

The dust still hasn't settled but my first choice would be Andy Flower, 2nd choice Jason Gillespie

Andy Flower defo has some appeal but I wouldn't mind going down the internal route given how well Silverwood did. Grant Flower could be another external

Bad news for Essex! :thumbdown:

Yep, keep the backroom guys and the atmosphere going, as it is. Promote from within. No need for an outsider.

Essex CCC appoint Anthony McGrath as new head coach

Let's hope he can continue it, but last season was one for the ages and he's going to have one hell of a job to live up to that.

I think staying up in the Championship, along with some progression in limited overs cricket, will constitute a good season for us next year.

ps Essex must have the best captain/coach all-rounder combination

Tendo is famously the greatest ever ODI batsman (average 67 with the bat and 24.12 with the ball) whilst Anthony McGrath averages in test cricket over 40 with the bat and 14 with the ball:Worthy::Worthy:

Back