• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2017

I do like the idea of winning the last match and sending Yorkshire down!

Apparently, we are being presented with the trophy at the County Ground during that match, though not sure if it's at the start or the end.

Yeah, sending Yorkshire down would be the icing on the cake. Although I do hope we don't rest on our laurel's now, & can at least get a draw against both of them and finish the season unbeaten. (I believe we would be only the 4th club to do so since the modern format of the game back in 2000).

Happy days mate. We were in the front of The Tavern stand:thumbsup:

Indeed we were. I had a yellow shirt on and we can be seen briefly in the background when Gooch walks off after being dismissed.

Great days and never to be forgotten.

I even remember the fella in the maroon and blue hooped top who ran on when Gooch got to his hundred. Think he was sitting near us. Bore a more than passing resemblance to Graham Paddon, IIRC.

Last edited:
How good does that look?

Well done lads.

m4sr9D.jpg

f9Zy32.jpg

Brilliant. I'm going to take a day off work to get to see us at home to Yorkshire. Considering the sporting double on the Tuesday of Chelmsford day and Roots Hall evening

that 92 season(champs),i had been in Sheffield,visiting my father.
One of the last games..late August-early September,on the way back to Germany , via Southend,we met Stevie Waller& wife at the County ground.Saw about 3-4 hours of cricket.Then left for my wifes ,first and only visit to "Sarfend".
Like cricket & Southend,she said "never again"!!!
The only point she thought was of intrest,during the game,was when (not sure what side),the batsman missed the ball ,ball hit the "keeper" on the head and he needed some treatment.
I also took the family once to (1989??) Weston Super mare!! where after watching Sea front shows..ended up at W-S-M seafront park where Somerset was playing M/sex...we got in .the first thing my wife saw ,was some "old chap" asleep in a deckchair and thought...WOW..pay money,get in and fall asleep in a deckchair...must be entertaining...GERMANS!!!!!

I also took the family once to (1989??) Weston Super mare!! where after watching Sea front shows..ended up at W-S-M seafront park where Somerset was playing M/sex...we got in .the first thing my wife saw ,was some "old chap" asleep in a deckchair and thought...WOW..pay money,get in and fall asleep in a deckchair...must be entertaining...GERMANS!!!!!

Great story ' ozzie' and your memory is not deserting you. 1989 it was :-

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/A..._LOCAL/CC/SOMERSET_MIDDX_CC_05-08AUG1989.html

:thumbsup:

Indeed we were. I had a yellow shirt on and we can be seen briefly in the background when Gooch walks off after being dismissed.

I even remember the fella in the maroon and blue hooped top who ran on when Gooch got to his hundred. Think he was sitting near us. Bore a more than passing resemblance to Graham Paddon, IIRC.

How great to see the forgotten heroes in Essex Neil Smith, Brian Hardie, Stuart Turner, Nobby Phillips

Had to laugh at the crowd as it ran on the pitch, can you imagine nowadays lol

Wonderful find and beaming ear to ear as I sit a my desk before another day in the office

UTE

And I bet you still have the white floppy sun hat somewhere:winking:

Didn't The Gnome drop the top off the cup as well?

How great to see the forgotten heroes in Essex Neil Smith, Brian Hardie, Stuart Turner, Nobby Phillips

Had to laugh at the crowd as it ran on the pitch, can you imagine nowadays lol

Wonderful find and beaming ear to ear as I sit a my desk before another day in the office

UTE

That was a great day. That same season, I went to Northampton to see us win the County Championship for the first time, thanks to a century from Brian Hardie.

Neil Smith was a good keeper. Wouldn't get away with his portly figure in the modern game, though!

That was a great side. We won a lot of games thanks to the East & Acfield spin partnership on the last day of most Championship matches.

And I bet you still have the white floppy sun hat somewhere:winking:

Didn't The Gnome drop the top off the cup as well?

He did, indeed. Much to the delight of the cheering fans below! :thumbsup:

The sunhat is no more, sadly. I think I still have the Essex Rosette I was wearing that day, though.

WHAT A SEASON!

Up there with Southend's 1990-91 season and who put the ball in the Bury net (both coming off promotion), but with the likes of Chopra and Wheater returning it had the feel of 2005-06.

I don't think there's higher praise than that:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

Hants 151-5

2 for Porter and 2 for Cook.

Ali Cook not playing. Same side that won at Edgbaston.

**** poor. Might have won the title but that is no excuse. Ten and Dan to give us a partnership.

Ok I'll say it Championship winners hangover I hope, or maybe a poor pitch that will get worse as the days tick over

Currently 75-7 :omg:

Update make that 75-9 now

Back