• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Longest period in a job

US style redundancies are the best.

It would be even better if they phoned you at 6am and told you not to bother coming in.

My old man used to work at UBS and one time they called about 50 (or something like that) people into a room and made them all redundant on the spot!

Have been at BT/Openreach for 17 years. Have done so many different roles it hasn't felt monotonous at all really.

My old man used to work at UBS and one time they called about 50 (or something like that) people into a room and made them all redundant on the spot!

I know of someone that was let go from a bank as they walked into the office first thing in the morning.

They got a phonecall on the train an hour later saying sorry, HR made a mistake. It was the other Joe Bloggs thst shoukd have been let go. Please come back in.

I also worked for a firm were about fifty people were ket go at once. Managemebt siphoned them into an office as they arrived for work.

It took about 90 mins for everyone to arrive and as the room started to fill with mediocre performers they all twigged they were for the chop.

Project Violet in Railtrack (fortunately I never worked for them)....wait at your desk and wait for the call that you're gone, and you can't get a job with any other Railway company. Later, found to be illegal and compensation was paid.

Midland Bank, later HSBC - 1980 - 1999 (included a 4 year career break.....no pay and non pensionable)
Woodside Pre-school - 2000 - 2007
Kents Hill Juniors - 2007 - 2013
Williams & Donovan Estate Agents - 2013 - to date

ldnfatso came back from holiday once to see a new seating plan on the office wall - he asked where his desk was now, and they told him he'd been made redundant.

I've done lots of jobs, longest was almost 4 years - but in the media industry I don't expect longevity.

11 years with Esade Idiomas,Barcelona's leading business school.

Told them they'd go broke after I left, (ie was sacked), back in 1994.They did some years later.Schadenfreude.:smiles:

Is that the one that was owned by Opus Dei ?

Midland Bank, later HSBC - 1980 - 1999 (included a 4 year career break.....no pay and non pensionable)
Woodside Pre-school - 2000 - 2007
Kents Hill Juniors - 2007 - 2013
Williams & Donovan Estate Agents - 2013 - to date

Do you use tge kebab shop next door for lunch?

27 years with the London Fire Brigade. Retired (officially) for 5 years now.

Couple of silly jobs at 16, lasted 6 weeks in Autoplas in Hawkwell. I did a bricklaying course at the Wiggins college in Thundersley, taught by the official world record holding fastest bricklayer. Imagine that now..... Private company building and funding a college to train local kids for different trades.

That happened to me when working for UBS in Finsbury Square in the mid 90's. First day back in the office after a great holiday and then out the door within the hour !.

Only had two proper jobs. My first one - University of Sheffield, I did for nearly 8.5 years. This November my 'career' will hit 10 years.

Did you get a decent payoff?

I thought you got a bit extra to sign away your rights.

As I recall it was three month's pay along with an a redundancy payment that was well above that required. I have been made redundant several times (most redundancies could be another thread) but that was the most sudden and callous of them. Although I was told latter it was planned this way for a number of reasons including that Monday is the best day to do this as it gives you the week to get your head round it before the weekend.

Only ever been in marine fueloil industry...
1st job (straight from tech-college) 13 years - made redundant
2nd job - 8 years 9 months - head-hunted into....
3rd job - 10 years 5 months - then made redundant

A 'homemaker' ever since - 9 years 3 months to date.....

My first job was with a firm of accountants in Southend. That lasted for 3 years from finishing university.

My next job was with an investment bank in Canary Wharf. That lasted about 8 1/2 years until I got made redundant (some of that redundancy was spent on gaining my PPL). I left there on the 31st December one year, and 2 days later started with a telecoms company.

That also lasted about 8 1/2 years until I was made redundant. I got a really good payout and walked straight into a contracting role. The original contract was for 9 months, but 6 years later I'm still doing it. When I started contracting I worked out I only needed to work 9 days a month to earn the same take home as I was in my previous job. That, plus my redundancy pay off put a smile on my face for a seriously long time.

Longest employed job 14 years with John Mowlem Construction - made redundant in 1992 - spent last 25 years as freelance until retirement this year (including ironically a spell with Mowlems earning over double what I was earning as an employee)

Back