• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Women's World Cup 2017 - England

Get in, great news. Was round at the in-laws this afternoon - shame I couldn't persuade my wife's dad to switch over from the golf!

Sarah Taylor was good enough to play a 2 day match with the Northern Districts men's team in New Zealand, so that seems unlikely. I guess she could be an anamoly but the rest of the team seemed to be up to her standard.

Boring sexism from Chocolardo who can only dream of what our women's team have done.

Boring sexism from Chocolardo who can only dream of what our women's team have done.

Hardly sexism, the quality of cricket was extremely poor, look at that dropped catch at the end. They are no where near the standard the men play at. They do not hit the ball as hard or as far and bowl anywhere near the same standard.

Hardly sexism, the quality of cricket was extremely poor, look at that dropped catch at the end. They are no where near the standard the men play at. They do not hit the ball as hard or as far and bowl anywhere near the same standard.

So what is your point?that all women around the the world should not play cricket.

So what is your point?that all women around the the world should not play cricket.

No, mate point was what I said in the original post the standard is so poor. Maybe from that you could say it shouldn't be a proffesional sport and be live on Sky Sports, it was difficult to watch at times

I've heard this argument a lot over the years, relating to a whole heap of sports : Football, Cricket, Tennis, Golf (etc)

Granted, the standard isn't as good. I think we all know that.

The point is, it's not something to compare anyway. They are like two different sports. Men will generally be stronger and faster than women or maybe have better skills at some sports. That's why the world records in running and strength events are always greater.

That said, I actually find women's cricket to be of a very high standard. Watching a fair amount of the highlights, some of the quality of shots and wicketkeeping stumpings are right up there.

It's an evolving sport and isn't trying to compete with it's male counterpart, but in it's own right, that was one hell of an exciting final. 28,000 sell-out crowd says it all.

And was it a good watch? .. You bet it was! :thumbsup:

So you reckon they played to a high standard?

High enough. Why knock the achievement, it was a thrilling game of cricket and we're world champions. It's a reason to be happy, not find fault because Anya Shrubsole is not Ian Botham. It's the same tired argument than John McEnroe rolled out during Wimbledon.

Great game,thought with about 8 overs to go..typical England!!!
I enjoyed it very much:Womens sport(England) are on a high at the moment,with womans euros doing well....
Are the men watching???

There's a lot of skill and technique in women's beach volleyball. Mostly trying to persuade the wife that I'm looking at the sporting prowess of those playing.

On a more serious note I listened to the last 30 minutes. Great atmosphere and what a way to finish a match and win a World Cup. Trying to compare men and women playing the same sports is a waste of time. You'd never get women earning the same as the men at Wimbledon for playing 3 sets rather than 5.

No, mate point was what I said in the original post the standard is so poor. Maybe from that you could say it shouldn't be a proffesional sport and be live on Sky Sports, it was difficult to watch at times

Millions of cricket loving fans watched it on tv around the world and 28'000 filled Lords,give the ladies credit,they deserve it.:clap:

Great final, tense stuff towards the end, but pleased to see our girls come up on top and lift the trophy.

Talking of the trophy, if anyone watched the award ceremony, the lady that was holding the cup when it was lowered from an aerial like a trapeze artist above Lords.... I'm proud to say that was my lovely cousin Robyn!.

Back