• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FarmdogSUFC

The Custard Splat - Southend United Fan Podcast
No, not his first lover, PBs first 11 in every opening game. A suggestion on YouTube to watch "Southend 1-0 Plymouth Highlights" got me thinking about how far we have come in every opening game of the season, so I decided to have a look. Put these teams against our potential starting 11 next season and it really does show just how far we have come. Gotta give massive credit to PB for that. There's a few names in there you'd probably have back but realistically speaking it wouldn't be possible. There's also a few names that made me feel sick at the thought of them back in a SUFC shirt.

Bradford 2-2 Southend (Phil Browns first game in charge)

P Smith
Clohessy - Cresswell - Prosser - Straker
Hurst - Mkandawire - Mohsni - Reeves
Assombalonga - Tomlin

Subs: Lund, Eastwood, Corr
Unused: Bentley, Spillane, Leonard, Laird

Southend 1-0 Plymouth (2013/14)

Bentley
White - Phillips - Prosser - Coker
Atkinson - Leonard - Laird - Straker
Eastwood - Corr

Subs: Reid, Clifford
Unused: P Smith, Bennett, Payne, Timlin, Njie

Accrington 0-1 Southend (2014/15)

Bentley
White - Bolger - Prosser - Coker
Hurst - Leonard - Clifford - Coulthirst
Corr - Weston

Subs: Worrall, Barnard, Atkinson
Unused: P Smith, Ibenfeldt, Thompson, Payne

Fleetwood 1-1 Southend (2015/16)

Bentley
White - Bolger - Barrett - Coker
Hurst - Leonard - Wordsworth - Atkinson
Mooney - Weston

Subs: Hunt, Worrall, Pigott
Unused: T Smith, Prosser, Timlin, Payne

Southend 1-3 Gillingham (2016/17)

Oxley
Demitriou - Thompson - Barrett - Coker
McGlashan - Leonard - Atkinson - McLaughlin
Cox - Mooney

Subs: Williams, King, O'Neill
Unused: T Smith, White, Sokolik, Bridge

Southend vs Blackburn (2017-18)

Oxley
Demitriou - Turner - Ferdinand - Coker
Kightly - Leonard - Timlin - McLaughlin
Cox - MAF

Subs: T Smith, White, Hendrie, McGlashan, Bridge, Robinson

No, not his first lover, PBs first 11 in every opening game. A suggestion on YouTube to watch "Southend 1-0 Plymouth Highlights" got me thinking about how far we have come in every opening game of the season, so I decided to have a look. Put these teams against our potential starting 11 next season and it really does show just how far we have come. Gotta give massive credit to PB for that. There's a few names in there you'd probably have back but realistically speaking it wouldn't be possible. There's also a few names that made me feel sick at the thought of them back in a SUFC shirt.

P Smith
Assombalonga - Tomlin

Bentley
Eastwood - Corr

Bentley
Corr - Weston

Bentley
Mooney - Weston

Oxley
Cox - Mooney

Oxley
Cox - MAF

Subs: T Smith, White, Hendire, McGlashan, Bridge, Robinson

He's not that bad is he?

P Smith
Assombalonga - Tomlin

Bentley
Eastwood - Corr

Bentley
Corr - Weston

Bentley
Mooney - Weston

Oxley
Cox - Mooney

Oxley
Cox - MAF

Subs: T Smith, White, Hendrie, McGlashan, Bridge, Robinson

The subs benches in a couple of those early seasons make me feel sick

The team for Browns first game in charge is actually really good. We really underperformed that season before he came in. Lund, Corr, Leonard and Laird all on the bench. Mkandawire was class.

The team for Browns first game in charge is actually really good. We really underperformed that season before he came in. Lund, Corr, Leonard and Laird all on the bench. Mkandawire was class.

I don't agree per se, I would say that Leonard and Corr improved under Brown which makes your statement correct. For all that he said when he left, Corr was a better player under Brown that what he was under PS. Also, Leonard's improvement, in this new defensive CM position has been immense and the comparison between the player now and the player he was then, when sub, is not an apple for apple comparison. Agreed Mkandawire was class, however I would still say the squad now, is leaps and bounds better than it was when he joined

That squad did do really well that season reaching our first ever Wembley final and a third round replay in the FA Cup, knocking out several higher division teams en route to both. Beating Orient in the semi-final to reach Wembley (Wembley, Wembley!) is one of my most treasured memories as a Southend fan.

In the league we only came unstuck with a calamitous injury list that saw us having to field loads of loanees (and we couldn't always sign them because of the on-off transfer embargoes) just to get a side onto the pitch. I seem to recall us being down to our sixth or seventh choice centre-half with the likes of BBBC and Michael Spillane having to fill in at times and it was little better in central midfield which seemed to be a revolving door. Whilst injuries to the likes of Corr, Phillips and the ageing Barker were fairly predictable also losing the likes of Timlin, Tomlin, Prosser, Laird and Leonard were highly unfortunate and hugely disruptive (as was Mohsni's enforced return - enforced because of that injury crisis).

The content of this thread has come as a huge relief given that I misread the title as Phil Brown Fists.

Back