• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It is not the clubs fault this has turned into a West End farce, or in many ways even Lenny's or his agents. It's Sheff who have been making absurd offers, saying we only offer what a player is worth, then offering more, and then more, and then a lot more, even though they have clearly been told to go away. Can't see anything happening quickly even if Ron wanted to sell (which he doesn't) as how can you ever now know when Sheff final offer is ever actually their final offer...

I think Sheff have now royally miffed Uncle Ron with their antics and I am afraid that exponentially reduces their chances of doing any business with him now or in the future..

Hopefully this story will die a death so the team can get on with the season ahead .This may well have been helped by Sheffield now moving on to now turning the head of the Oxford midfield captain who they have made an offer for .Also think they may have upset Wigan by touting one of there players .Saying he may want to switch to Sheffield because Wigan got relegated to league one .How low can they go to get what they want .

Where did I say I'm angry that he's not leaving? I just said I'm sick and tired with the whole thing.

A poor choice of word on my part there, perhaps annoyed/irritated would have been more apt. Or just that you weren't happy in the previous thread, and you're not happy in this one. :smiles:

Drastic™;1977477 said:
A poor choice of word on my part there, perhaps annoyed/irritated would have been more apt. Or just that you weren't happy in the previous thread, and you're not happy in this one. :smiles:

No worries.... I've just got to a point where I think "what will be will be" It all seems a bit messed up to me. All I care about is Southend United, so we can move forward and find a replacement if we need too.

For what reason? Does he assist ? Wasnt in top 5 of players in the team who assisted? Surely a midfielder should? Drives forward well but has numerous shots which dont hit the target? And have u ever seen a goal come from the long throw? Yes he works hard but hes definitely replaceable!

For what reason? Does he assist ? Wasnt in top 5 of players in the team who assisted? Surely a midfielder should? Drives forward well but has numerous shots which dont hit the target? And have u ever seen a goal come from the long throw? Yes he works hard but hes definitely replaceable!

All depends what your aspirations are !

If ours are to improve our position we need to not replace him but improve on him and regardless of your questions of him, there can't be that many around , as otherwise Wilder would have turned his attentions elsewhere. We need to improve on him with our budge. If we get 600k for him, PB won't be given 600k to replace him ... meaning that it's a difficult call for the club to make , as our aspirations are promotion which to Southend is worth millions now with the new TV deal. People trying to make it simple maths aren't sitting with Ron and PB's Blueprint in front of them which is a probably a 3 year plan, which includes promotion in it !

Why? We want to keep him? Thank God we have a chairman with some balls and does roll over without a fight..

Do we actually want to keep players who dont want to be here and have made efforts to get out?

I like Leonard but if he stays against his wishes then thats not going to make for a good season. He will be targeted throughout the season, any dodgy performance will end up being his fault because he doesnt want to be here.

I personally think its time for him to move on, if they can get him to sign a new deal and commit then great, but if not cash in and move on.

That said I wouldnt be surprised if Ron does want to keep him that he will stay, and I think he is the sort of player to carry on as normal, but not sure all fans will see that if things go awry.

This is pure guesswork on my part, but maybe Lenny has changed his mind after seeing we have brought in Hendrie and Kightly.
"Now then, Self, do I want to be part of this?" *thinks* Well, actually, yes I do."

That would be reassuring, but this request happened well after Kightly joined so don't think so.

Kante only scores a couple of goals a season. Doubt he assists many either. Won 2 back to back Premier League titles and one of the best midfielders in the country.

Leonard has been playing a defensive role in the side so he isnt going to have scored or assisted many.

I dont think he is a creative player, but thats not really what he brings to the team.

Bentley wanted out and no one turned on him. So long as Leonard puts a shift in on the field he'll be fine.

Not sure I agree. Kante picked up every accolade going last season without notching many goals or assists. Lenny's athleticism, pace, power and workrate is easily the best I've ever seen at this level. He's breaking up play at one end and supporting the attack at the other. Not to mention the amount of defensive cover he provides when full backs go forward. His awareness and reading of the game is excellent and it allows Demetriou and Coker the freedom to push forward.

Yes he's probably replaceable, but at a pretty big premium. If there was another player of similar or better ability who was available for less or even free, then Sheffield United or Millwall would be trying to sign them instead.

Bentley wanted out and no one turned on him. So long as Leonard puts a shift in on the field he'll be fine.

True, but we also spent most of the season hoping he would sign a new deal, there was no confirmation he woudlleave till much later in the season. Might have been different if he slapped a transfer request in the summer before he left.

Wasnt the same level of expectation in the side either.

He should be fine, but you know how people like a scapegoat.

I don't think that makes any difference. Bentley rejected a new contract and made clear he wanted to move on. It's the same situation other than that we won't get a fee for Leonard, but that should only make a difference to Ron Martin.

Leonard isn't a Freddy Eastwood whose laid-back attitude could be mistaken for phoning it in. If he isn't committed it will be apparent on the pitch.

Bentley was even offered a contract in April of the season he left. I know most of us knew he would be off but that uncertainty still gave people a buffer.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Personally thought all this was just Ron holding out for more money, not quite so sure now.

As I quoted in the other thread I was disappointed not in the fact that Leonard like Bentley wanted to pursue their dream of higher level football, but the fact that Bentley and Payne chose to turn down a better contract with the club that helped them establish themselves, signing a new contract does not mean they are never going to find a bigger club, it means that the club will get a better deal from the transfer and that the player has shown loyalty to that club and the supporters by doing so, I just don't understand a player whose first knee jerk reaction to another club paying interest is turn your back on the club you play for week in week out and do your best to make it look like playing for Southend is holding back their talent and they have to get out as soon as possible.

On a positive note Leonard stating he does not want a transfer is a very good sign, this club is looking to go further and from the signings we have made staying for one more year he could be playing in the Championship next season anyway (fingers crossed)

Back