• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As I quoted in the other thread I was disappointed not in the fact that Leonard like Bentley wanted to pursue their dream of higher level football, but the fact that Bentley and Payne chose to turn down a better contract with the club that helped them establish themselves, signing a new contract does not mean they are never going to find a bigger club, it means that the club will get a better deal from the transfer and that the player has shown loyalty to that club and the supporters by doing so, I just don't understand a player whose first knee jerk reaction to another club paying interest is turn your back on the club you play for week in week out and do your best to make it look like playing for Southend is holding back their talent and they have to get out as soon as possible.

On a positive note Leonard stating he does not want a transfer is a very good sign, this club is looking to go further and from the signings we have made staying for one more year he could be playing in the Championship next season anyway (fingers crossed)

Signing a new deal reduces the chance of them signing for a bigger club. The new club suddenly has to pay more to prise him away reducing the chance of the move happening, and reducing the money the player can then get in contract terms.

It is not in the players interest to sign a contract if he wants to leave. He doesnt owe us loyalty, the most he has to do is honour his contract.

Leonard has given us 6 seasons, thats a long time and has shown enough loyalty already.

This wont have been a knee jerk reaction, he wants to play higher and has watched Payne and Bentley move up and will have had this in his mind long before any offers came in.

We are currently blocking a young man who has given his all for this football club from a life changing salary....and general career development...all so we can get naff all for him next summer. Financially more prudent to take a fee with decent sell on clauses.

We are currently blocking a young man who has given his all for this football club from a life changing salary....and general career development...all so we can get naff all for him next summer. Financially more prudent to take a fee with decent sell on clauses.

You mean the club that helped him develop as a player?

So what if he has given 6 years, so have we and he signed that contract, we didn't force it upon him.

I find it quite strange you're siding with a player that wants to leave OUR team.

Which is probably why Lenny withdrew his transfer request. That may have been part of the discussion between Lenny and RM. RM may well have said you don't need a transfer request, if a good enough offer comes along we'll sell you, but so far that hasn't happened.

And if a player puts in transfer request, isn't there some rule that he has to sacrifice a signing on fee or something? I'm sure I read something like that.

I think it's more likely to be something like -

"Lenny, tell your agent to make sure Sheff Utd pay £XXXXXX, withdraw your request and you can capitalise personally by getting compensation/keeping the signing fee (or whatever). If they don't pay up now, then you've got until January to show them what they are missing. Deal?"

You mean the club that helped him develop as a player?

So what if he has given 6 years, so have we and he signed that contract, we didn't force it upon him.

I find it quite strange you're siding with a player that wants to leave OUR team.

It's about doing the right thing not taking sides. We are a small club compared to Sheffield United. They are willing to pay a transfer fee (essential for a club our size) and we could benefit from sell on clauses. Or we force him to stay....with all the will in the world that's hard to swallow for any player being offered big wages etc...what if he suffers a big injury thus damaging his earning potential. Also from a financial point of view he will walk away for nothing next summer.

It's about doing the right thing not taking sides. We are a small club compared to Sheffield United. They are willing to pay a transfer fee (essential for a club our size) and we could benefit from sell on clauses. Or we force him to stay....with all the will in the world that's hard to swallow for any player being offered big wages etc...what if he suffers a big injury thus damaging his earning potential. Also from a financial point of view he will walk away for nothing next summer.

What we do or do not do financially is for Ron- if he is happy to take that risk then fine
He is under contract and if RM and PB decide it's better for the club he stays then they have the right to make that decision
You are right re the injury risk but that is an argument for him to sign the contract Ron has offered him (can't have it both ways)
It seems to me that players sometime think contracts matter when they want to sit them out on high wages even if not playing, but shouldn't matter if they get in the way of their dream move (btw this is a general comment and not specifically aimed at Lenny)

We're not blocking him from doing anything. We're asking him to honour a contract that he chose to sign until such time as another team offer a transfer fee for him that matches our valuation.

It's worth remembering that to sign a contract extension as Lenny did a couple of years ago, generally comes with a pay rise. It's why Ron can feel entitled to Lenny playing for the length of that contract. That said, if an offer came in to please ALL parties it should be accepted.

We're not blocking him from doing anything. We're asking him to honour a contract that he chose to sign until such time as another team offer a transfer fee for him that matches our valuation.

The value of a disgruntled player....against hard cash. I'm sure lenny won't down tools as such but sub consciously may drop a little performance. All hypothetical of course. I just loath players walking away for nothing, especially when we have been offered x amount.

Back