• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should the"Friendly" go ahead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May I ask the response you were given please?

To my eternal shame, I forgot although I had raised my concerns at Bishops Stortford. Purpose of our meeting was MTBD and I didn't remember. I will raise it though.

To my eternal shame, I forgot although I had raised my concerns at Bishops Stortford. Purpose of our meeting was MTBD and I didn't remember. I will raise it though.

Any confirmation that Nile will be there? (Assuming he is released next week as rumoured)?

Next question; Am taking my nephew, as neither my 2 boys or by brother like football, will we have to pay to get in? Or is it free? :smile:

Meet the Blues Day? Never been an entry fee as far as I know. Am told one Duncan Jupp will be amongst the legends on show that day as well.

It probably won't get read or have an influence on this but I emailed the club my concerns about this friendly.

It's pure stupidity on both parts! Wouldn't it make sense for Cambridge to try and attract a big prem club to raise money rather than us. This is not going to end well!

Had a phone call from Danny Macklin today just to talk to me about my email. He thanked me for sending me the email as it's good that fans are voicing their opinions and concerns about things to him. He explained that it's too late for them to call it off, it won't look good on the club.

It was arranged as a good will gesture to try and raise some money for the Dobbin family. Unfortunately the few idiots that spoil things will probably be at the game but Cambridge will have a higher police presence to hopefully deter any further problems. They can't prevent things kicking off everywhere but they are going to try their best to keep it exactly what it is meant to be a friendly.

Danny seems like a really nice bloke and gave me his number to speak to him if I had any issues with anything else. Great response and really good of him to give me a call even if I still think it's a bad idea although I understood his points.

Nice one 'Ricey'.

Surely, though, the money raised is going to be offset by the extra policing costs.

Seems like a lack of joined up thinking, to me.

Had a phone call from Danny Macklin today just to talk to me about my email. He thanked me for sending me the email as it's good that fans are voicing their opinions and concerns about things to him. He explained that it's too late for them to call it off, it won't look good on the club.

It was arranged as a good will gesture to try and raise some money for the Dobbin family. Unfortunately the few idiots that spoil things will probably be at the game but Cambridge will have a higher police presence to hopefully deter any further problems. They can't prevent things kicking off everywhere but they are going to try their best to keep it exactly what it is meant to be a friendly.

Danny seems like a really nice bloke and gave me his number to speak to him if I had any issues with anything else. Great response and really good of him to give me a call even if I still think it's a bad idea although I understood his points.
good stuff, think I'll still go along to the game:thumbsup:

Nice one 'Ricey'.

Surely, though, the money raised is going to be offset by the extra policing costs.

Seems like a lack of joined up thinking, to me.

I can only assume Cambridge will probably take that hit on the chin.

Agree common sense is needed but while there will doubtless be pockets of pond scum looking for retribution, there's no reason why any streetwise Southend fan should be in trouble. I take it nobody travelled to places like Stoke, Cardiff and Wolves during the mid-90s or our more recent championship season because there would have been far more chance of you taking a beating then.

Don't get me wrong there's a heightened risk but little things like not wearing colours (your accent is hardly going to give you away for this one), drinking in the city centre (I'd do that anyway, Cambridge is a terrific real ale city) and avoiding the Coldham's Common underpasses (it's very easy to do, just arrive via Newmarket Road) will mean you will almost certainly be fine. Plus keep an eye out for geriatrics in Aquascutum hats and you'll be golden.

Agree common sense is needed but while there will doubtless be pockets of pond scum looking for retribution, there's no reason why any streetwise Southend fan should be in trouble. I take it nobody travelled to places like Stoke, Cardiff and Wolves during the mid-90s or our more recent championship season because there would have been far more chance of you taking a beating then.

Don't get me wrong there's a heightened risk but little things like not wearing colours (your accent is hardly going to give you away for this one), drinking in the city centre (I'd do that anyway, Cambridge is a terrific real ale city) and avoiding the Coldham's Common underpasses (it's very easy to do, just arrive via Newmarket Road) will mean you will almost certainly be fine. Plus keep an eye out for geriatrics in Aquascutum hats and you'll be golden.

My Aquascutum hat helps stop my bald head from getting sunburnt. And less of the geriatrics, I'm getting old but not that old.

The very cards which formed part of the prosecution case recently? apparently having a picture of said card indicates conspiracy.

Sorry, should have put a quote in there...

The very cards which formed part of the prosecution case recently? apparently having a picture of said card indicates conspiracy.

I believe the guy who had the card did not get done for conspiracy, but assisting an offender?

Won't be going to this game for a number of reasons, mostly importantly I don't to be attacked etc.

I can only see a handful of fans going and who can blame anyone for not wanting to go. I think the Cambridge fans will have a field day and go on about how disrespectful we are for not filling the stand. More unwanted attention.

I believe the guy who had the card did not get done for conspiracy, but assisting an offender?

True but:

He said the Stone Island “calling card” photo was sent to him “as a joke” seven days before Mr Dobbin was violently attacked.
However, prosecutor Andrew Jackson then asked him: “You know [co-defendant] Randall was wearing a Stone Island coat as well. You’re part of a team aren’t you? That badge is part of a crew, the CS crew, which you align yourself with.”

Stone Island was then brought up in other instances

There will probably be a crowd of about 2000 people who like most of us just want to enjoy ninety minutes of football. Why should they lose out just because of a bunch of trouble making alcoholic fuelled idiots.

As the poll shows vast majority feel the game should not be played.Personally think it would be better to play at a latter date.However all parties consider they can play the game without any problems.I really hope this is the case and as much monies are raised for this poor man and his family.

Back