• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Surely I can't be the only one who finds Women's Football utterly dull?

There are some very skilful players on show but everything is so slow and laboured that it just doesn't flow. I know it's just not PC to criticise anything to do with women in sport but it needs to be said! :witch Hunt:

(I couldn't find a tin hat emoji)

Seeing the hammering it gets from all all sides and the lack of crowds, obviously not. It's a different beast from the men's game but still an enjoyable spectacle, sometimes far more than the men's national team.

I don't really know why people feel the need to come on these threads and criticise the female version of sports, from football, tennis, or cricket. Anything that gives young girls healthy role models if a huge positive when they're bombarded by people like Kim Kardashian or the latest pop star flashing her knickers.

Seeing the hammering it gets from all all sides and the lack of crowds, obviously not. It's a different beast from the men's game but still an enjoyable spectacle, sometimes far more than the men's national team.

I don't really know why people feel the need to come on these threads and criticise the female version of sports, from football, tennis, or cricket. Anything that gives young girls healthy role models if a huge positive when they're bombarded by people like Kim Kardashian or the latest pop star flashing her knickers.

I'm not criticising it in it's own right, I just can't get into it and can't understand the over reaction from the 'media' as to how wonderful it is. Promoting role models to young women is a great thing just a little balance woudn't go amiss

I'm not criticising it in it's own right, I just can't get into it and can't understand the over reaction from the 'media' as to how wonderful it is. Promoting role models to young women is a great thing just a little balance woudn't go amiss

It is wonderful. We're unbeaten in the Euros, we've just won the world cup in cricket, we've got some world class tennis players. If you want over-reaction, note the "it's coming home" ******** we get every (mens) World Cup/Euro competition.

I don't understand what mean by balance, I can't think of any sport the media has ever directly attacked, individual teams maybe but the sport itself? I've not seen any articles proclaiming how wonderful women's football is anyway, maybe there's praise towards England women, but it's our national team so that's fine, it'd be nice if the media can get a bit more positive towards our men's team as well instead of jumping at the first chance to rip into them.

I don't understand what mean by balance, I can't think of any sport the media has ever directly attacked, individual teams maybe but the sport itself? I've not seen any articles proclaiming how wonderful women's football is anyway, maybe there's praise towards England women, but it's our national team so that's fine, it'd be nice if the media can get a bit more positive towards our men's team as well instead of jumping at the first chance to rip into them.

That's kind of what I mean, a more positive view of men's football would be great although they don't help themselves sometimes.

Men's football is far more deserving of the criticism it attracts, not helped by so many overpaid player not performing on a
regular basis, notably those in the England Senior team and the prices charged to watch such cr*p, then being told by clubs that's the (ridiculous) price you have to pay if you want to see such so-called 'talent' on show at your club. It's pathetic!

The women acquit themselves very well, are nowhere near as well paid, admission price to games is low and they just get on with the game. No-one ever claims it's supposed to be as fast or skillful as the mens game, it can never and will never be so. Makes a very refreshing change to me.

Sweden and Germany through to the Q/F's after last night's results even though Sweden lost 3-2 to bottom-placed Italy.

Saturday's line-up: Sweden v Netherlands k/o 17.00 Germany v Denmark k/o 19.45 (live on CH4)

Group C will be decided tonight, looking like Austria and France to progress to the Q/F's

Last edited:
Sweden and Germany through to the Q/F's after last night's results even though Sweden lost 3-2 to bottom-placed Italy.

Thus proving that women's football is just like men's football - I can lose money betting on either one with the same amount of ease.

I may be wrong, but this article seems like it is getting at your point.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...p-cricket-success-mens-sport?CMP=share_btn_tw

I agree with it. Well done to our women's football team for their form so far, end of story. it doesn't need to relate to how poor the men's team were in Euro 2016 and nor should it.

Group C is interesting, France and Austria have identical results: P 2 / W 1 / D1 / L 0 / Pts 4 / Gf 2 / Ga 1 and their match ended 1-1. Presume Austria are top basis alphabetical order.

Group C table-toppers Austria 2-0 up against Iceland and (good news for England) a ten woman France losing 1-0 to the Swiss who currently sit 2nd.

Lets hope the Swiss can hold on, they have had their backs against the wall throughout the 2nd half.

If France do go out, it will be great news for England as France are seeded 2nd in the tournament (ranked 3rd in the world), Also an added bonus is that the Swiss have just got their captain booked, which means she will miss the game against England.

Update:.... Bollox 1-1

England 1-0 up after 6 minutes. :happy:

As tradition requires.......

"one more please".........

I know we only needed a draw, but I think Sampson made too many changes this time.

I know we only needed a draw, but I think Sampson made too many changes this time.

We don't even need that, as long as we don't lose by 3 goals we go through.

This match is showing our lack of squad depth, Duggan aside we've looked clueless for most of the match.

Get In! 2-1

"one more please".....dear god....this time, just to clarify a goal for England not Portugal! :smile:

This match is showing our lack of squad depth, Duggan aside we've looked clueless for most of the match.

If the commentator is correct, Sampson made a whopping 10 changes to the starting line up for this match from the previous Spain match (only Millie Bright kept her place).
So effectively this isn't our true first eleven, by a long mile. Although I still think they have given a good account of themselves, especially in the 2nd half.
Sampson's obviously looking to rest key members or avoid them getting injured or booked & suspended ahead of the France clash in the Quarter Finals on Sunday.

Back