• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'll be interested to see if there are any noises about Sampson's position being under threat. Not that getting to a semi-final of any tournament is to be sniffed at, but I don't think the performances of the last two three games have lived up to expectations given the squad at his disposal. I also gather his ability to run people up the wrong way hasn't gone unnoticed...

I'll be honest I've not really followed the team, but tonight they were completely devoid of any idea or tactical nouse and were completely undone. I don't know if that's due to the talent we have or the management (both club and nationally) they receive. But it was a poor showing and everyone is open for appraisal. I'm not a coach but their failure to execute under pressure is more mental than technical because they're good players, so think the coaching staff do need to take a close look at what they did

I have to agree with all of the above comments.

We looked a totally different team tonight, other than our work rate we looked way below average from the previous games. Our passing was abysmal from the start and got even worse as the game progressed, tactically we were clueless and always on the back foot from the initial kick off. We were well beaten and didn't deserve to win that game by a country mile,

Although I will say, the final score of 3-0 was a bit flattering for the dutch. We had a fair few chances, that perhaps on another day, would have produced a goal or two for us. But ultimately, the Netherlands were the worthy victors.

I do think Sampson was backed into a corner a little bit through the absences of Scott and Bardsley (Chamberlain's inadequate. Always has been), but they were completely outclassed by the Dutch. It was quite obvious when we went 2-0 down that we had no idea how to get ourselves back into the game and there was some pretty desperate/rank decisions being made in the middle third. I've watched the England unders age groups train a bit and I know they do plenty of scenario work in the build-up to tournaments, but it certainly didn't look like much of that had been done during Sampson's pre-season camp. Perhaps he diverted a little too much focus onto the physical work he was so happy to crow about.

I do get the impression now that the women's game in England is at a precipice. The WSL relaunches adjacent to the men's game this year, our best players are attracting foreign interest and our clubs are landing some decent targets of their own. There's more funding than ever before going into the game and the new RTC system has widened the net for youngsters to receive quality coaching 4/6 hours per week alongside a properly competitive fixture schedule. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the FA decided that Sampson has taken the national team as far as he can before moving to land a big(ger) name.

For comparison this is a goal the US women scored against Japan (ranked 6th in the world) yesterday, I can't imagine us scoring anything like that under our system yet as the 5th best women's team in the world it's what we should be aiming for.

https://streamable.com/rcx9m

Talking of womens football The Australian womens national team just won the confederation cup defeating Brazil 6-1 in the final, they also defeated both USA and Japan to get into the final.Pretty impressive stuff i would say.

I'll be interested to see if there are any noises about Sampson's position being under threat. Not that getting to a semi-final of any tournament is to be sniffed at, but I don't think the performances of the last two three games have lived up to expectations given the squad at his disposal. I also gather his ability to run people up the wrong way hasn't gone unnoticed...

Yep. Didn't take long: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4766344/FA-pays-40k-striker-bullied-England-squad.html

And yet the players ran over and gave him a hug when they scored the first goal.

Orchestrated to paint the picture of a unified team.

More allegations - not linked to Aluko's - surfaced this morning though. I wonder if the rather unsavoury celebration last night triggered more accusations to surface.

Erm, and you know that.....or just an assumption?

Irrespective, he couldn't be expected to continue. Only hope they don't regress back to how they played under
the previous manager, Hope Powell.

Back