• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
The former Southend United vice chairman has passed away. Here's a picture of him with Uncle Vic and and old lady courtesy of @SUFC_History

:sad:

Met the Adams a couple of times.

Always came across as a nice fella. Sort of Jobson's better half, if that's the right expression. Likeable, for sure.

Also, legendary for his excellent and amusing video commentaries in the early 1990's.

RIP.

Also, legendary for his excellent and amusing video commentaries in the early 1990's.

My favourite bit being on the end of season highlights for the 92/93 season where they show Stan chasing after a ball and the ball going out of play.

That Northern twang on our VHS video collection.

"A saturday chance to bury Bury"
"Now the bubble really was back together again"

RIP John

I liked John, gave me the chance to write utter tosh in the programme and Blues News and was good fun in the old Shrimpers Bar. Often used to spend my lunchtimes waiting to be called into his office. On one occasion he left me to look after our brand new signing with the instruction "can you show him around". It was Andy Sussex.

Sadly, we fell out over the whole Jobson Out issue and we never spoke again.

His son played Test cricket for England as well.

RIP John

Played cricket with him for years and he allowed me to write for the match day programme. He was always good for a story and told us all the inside news from the club. One Saturday we were short and he said he could get his son to play for us. We picked him up expecting to find Chris (Derbyshire, England and Sussex) waiting for us only to be met by his 12 year old step son!

Sad news. RIP John. As a kid I used to enjoy listening to his dulcet tones talking about the 'Lion of Lagos' on Clubcall :smile:

My parents weren't too pleased when the telephone bills came in though... d'oh!

I had a couple of run-ins with him (mainly because he was Jobson's mouth-piece) but pals that drank with him reckoned he was a decent fella.

RIP

As much as we often found ourselves at loggerheads thanks to him taking the company line, I have to say he was a gentleman everytime we met and he was so proud of his son Chris. Wanted the best for the club and I still have a few videos with his distinctive voice all over it.

Sadly missed

He was a good man and very enthusiastic about whatever he did ..... i spent hours and hours and several hundred pounds of my works phone bill listening to his " news and views of the blues " ( todays dateline is 22nd february or whatever date was approx 6 months ago ) .... loved his waxing lyrical and hope there is a minutes silence or applause for him either tonight or at the Blackburn match.

RIP :Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

I spent a fortune in phone calls to the Blues Soccer Line in the 90s to hear John's daily updates on all things Southend United before the days of online info. He always seemed to have enthusiasm for the club.

Remember clubcall very well. Cost me a packet but was always worthwhile. One announcement along the lines of 'Sussex is coming to Essex' from memory. RIP John

I remember him giving me and my dad a tour of the then newly built executive boxes. Seemed a really nice bloke.

The former Southend United vice chairman has passed away. Here's a picture of him with Uncle Vic and and old lady courtesy of @SUFC_History

This pictures Brilliant................Vic distracts the old bird while John grabs the handbag! :nope::hilarious:

Vic Jobson : "We'll have a new stadium by 1995. I promise you!"
Lady : "Oooh, you're such a tease, Vic!"
John Adams : "You think he's joking. He's being deadly serious!"

I remember him doing a "score update" for BBC Essex from one of the Anglo-Italian cup matches when Brett Angell (or Bertie Bangle as John Adams referred to him) had scored the winner in a 3-2 victory. I think it might have been against Cosenza.

Worked with John at the club. Nice guy. Frustrating as he had to follow the line. He had a habit of listening to a point of view, nodding in agreement - then carrying on as though the point had never been made!
Used to chew a thick elastic band all day! Hmmm.

Back