• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Processes slowing laptop down

I'm loving my life playing Football Manager 2017 but my laptop is pretty slow.

Can anyone recommend anything to tell me what processes I can safely close to allow me to do my thing?

ta

All being well nothing should be running to affect it and the biggest process will be Football Manager itself.

Open up taks manager and sort processes by CPU and then memory usage and see if anything is running high.

Clear as much rubbish off as u can press the button on the right with the square in the centre quickly twice

Clear as much rubbish off as u can press the button on the right with the square in the centre quickly twice

i'm trying to clear as much of the crap off as possible, the problem is that i don't really know what is crap and what is necessary.

as soon as i load the thing up it's maxed out but I've disabled loads of the start up programmes in the task manager

Have you not considered that your laptop is just **** and old?
that's certainly true and maybe just needs replacing.
want to spot me for a new one?

Remember teaching a group of IT technicians at the UOC (Catalan Open University) some years ago and was amazed to find that this was their preferred solution to laptop problems.:stunned:

Its because it fixes a lot of issues.

Ive worked in IT for 20 years and a reboot has fixed thousands of issues in that time. It also fixed a problem with my washing machine once so dont knock it!

i'm trying to clear as much of the crap off as possible, the problem is that i don't really know what is crap and what is necessary.

as soon as i load the thing up it's maxed out but I've disabled loads of the start up programmes in the task manager

that's certainly true and maybe just needs replacing.
want to spot me for a new one?

As I said earlier, just removing 'stuff' wont help if 'stuff' isnt using any resources.

Open up task manager and see what is using resources. Do it when FM isnt running as that will be the biggest resource muncher.

Heres mine sorted by memory usage, you can see FM is the main cause, but as Im only using 66% its no biggie

task.JPG

Now sorted by CPU.
task2.JPG
You can see on mine my main culprit other than FM is my TV app, so if I wanted to speed things up a bit Id close that, although no real need as my PC copes fine.

If without FM running your CPU, memory and disk are low % usage then it will probably just be a case your PC isnt quick enough.

Its because it fixes a lot of issues.

Ive worked in IT for 20 years and a reboot has fixed thousands of issues in that time. It also fixed a problem with my washing machine once so dont knock it!.

Wouldn't dream of it.Just that I was expecting to learn from them something other than what I'd already figured out for myself.:smile:

I turn the thing on, I'm not running anything at all and the CPU is around 40%, memory at 71% and disk 100%.

there likely to be anything I can do about it or is it just old and for the knackers yard?

Back