• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cov winning 3-1 with 15 to go. Not a bad away trip.

We were made so welcome in their independent supporters club about half a k from the ground, we missed Nile Rangers goal last year.

So, same three teams who were relegated from the Championship last season go back up this season...

So, same three teams who were relegated from the Championship last season go back up this season...

Yes. Let's hope that this year is not a sign of things to come. Feel sorry for Shrewsbury - the fans must be well cheesed off and this defeat could have a damaging effect on the club for next season.

Next season it will be harder still, IIRC Sunderland will still be gifted £30,000,000 for the "parachute": Burton won't get so much, maybe more for Barsnley: however their budgets will be enhanced over and above the likes of us. The steps to climb to get higher up the famed league pyramid get steeper and more and more about money, than either sound housekeeping or budget based prudence using the best available mixed with sound management.:sad:

Next season it will be harder still, IIRC Sunderland will still be gifted £30,000,000 for the "parachute": Burton won't get so much, maybe more for Barsnley: however their budgets will be enhanced over and above the likes of us. The steps to climb to get higher up the famed league pyramid get steeper and more and more about money, than either sound housekeeping or budget based prudence using the best available mixed with sound management.:sad:
Burton and Barnsley will not be getting any parachute payments. Why do you think they would?

Yes. Let's hope that this year is not a sign of things to come. Feel sorry for Shrewsbury - the fans must be well cheesed off and this defeat could have a damaging effect on the club for next season.

I don't. 5 times at Wembley and yet to win so I heard. I was told by Danny Macklin that their chairman is a charming chap who, when you visit gives the opposing team's chairman and directors crap food and wine while he and his eat and drink much better quality stuff, and I don't think they interact with each other either, can't remember if he said they are sat separately while dining. Ron, by contrast, always does the opposite when they visit Roots Hall!

I thought Sunderland only had parachute payments because of their drop from the Prem so Barnsley and Burton wouldn't have any - do they get it from Championship to L1 then? I think the division will be easier next year than this - Wigan and Blackburn were two huge names, only Sunderland are of the same comparable rank - and who knows how they will be with new owners in?

I don't. 5 times at Wembley and yet to win so I heard. I was told by Danny Macklin that their chairman is a charming chap who, when you visit gives the opposing team's chairman and directors crap food and wine while he and his eat and drink much better quality stuff, and I don't think they interact with each other either, can't remember if he said they are sat separately while dining. Ron, by contrast, always does the opposite when they visit Roots Hall!

I thought Sunderland only had parachute payments because of their drop from the Prem so Barnsley and Burton wouldn't have any - do they get it from Championship to L1 then? I think the division will be easier next year than this - Wigan and Blackburn were two huge names, only Sunderland are of the same comparable rank - and who knows how they will be with new owners in?

Not sure about Leagues 1 and 2 - I don't think there are parachute payments within the EFL (good) - but Leyton Orient and Hartlepool received parachute payments when they dropped into the National League.

Not sure about Leagues 1 and 2 - I don't think there are parachute payments within the EFL (good) - but Leyton Orient and Hartlepool received parachute payments when they dropped into the National League.

That is correct. You do get £6m TV money in the Championship. So clubs coming down like Barnsley will have to decide shall we risk keeping our high earners and hope we bounce straight back up or cut back now.

As we found out if you only last one year in the Championship and have players on at least 2 year contracts it can be disastrous for a small club

That is correct. You do get £6m TV money in the Championship. So clubs coming down like Barnsley will have to decide shall we risk keeping our high earners and hope we bounce straight back up or cut back now.

As we found out if you only last one year in the Championship and have players on at least 2 year contracts it can be disastrous for a small club

The upside is that they retain some of their best players who are Championship standard who are still in contract. It sort of gives them a good chance of bouncing straight back up first time.

With a parachute payment and no debt they should be alright for money, though How far that will go with the likes of Rodwell on 2.2 m per year

With a parachute payment and no debt they should be alright for money, though How far that will go with the likes of Rodwell on 2.2 m per year

I am guessing he will have to turn up to get paid, so for the last few months he will have got Nil. However you central point is valid and I would expect a good few of their "big" players to want to abandon ship and more than a few will be moved on where possible. I doubt many of the Black Cats of the Prem side will be there for the next league 1 campaign.

Division 2 Play off Final is on the old telly box.

It looks like Coventry have won the golden ticket for the prized opportunity to visit the sacred home of football (aka Roots Hall) next season, as they are currently 3-0 up with about 15 minutes remaining.

Edit: Full Time. Coventry 3 Exeter 1.

First half was quite dull and both teams were over cautious.
However a great second half of football as a neutral & imo all of the goals were well taken.

I'm pleased from our perspective in terms of the larger supporting club / stadium coming back up to Division One. However that being said, I've got to feel for Exeter though, that's 2 years in a row that they have lost out in a play off final at Wembley.

Last edited:
I am guessing he will have to turn up to get paid, so for the last few months he will have got Nil. However you central point is valid and I would expect a good few of their "big" players to want to abandon ship and more than a few will be moved on where possible. I doubt many of the Black Cats of the Prem side will be there for the next league 1 campaign.

Coleman clarified that he meant he doesn't know where Rodwell is mentally rather than his physical location. As long as he's turning up to training I think Sunderland still have to pay him.

Now we know all the teams for next season, when is the fixture list released?

isn't it normally around mid June or am i thinking mid July?

I believe, 21st June for all the EFL fixtures, 14th for the Premier League (we wont care about the premier league ones until season 2020/2021 obviously) :)

Yeah your right, just seen it's the 21st of June.

Apparently our away day travels are down from last season (8,052 miles) to 7,716 miles next season.

That being said, it's still the same distance from driving from Southend to South Africa!!... Well done as always to the faithful that are the Blue Army.

I can't wait now for the fixture list to come out. I need to get in early and cancel all birthday's / anniversaries / Christenings etc. I don't want to be seen as an "un-reliable" friend, when it comes to a fixture clash. I know where my loyalty lies. :smile:

UTB

:loyalsupporter:

Coleman clarified that he meant he doesn't know where Rodwell is mentally rather than his physical location. As long as he's turning up to training I think Sunderland still have to pay him.

Indeed, and as I understand there was no clause in that contract to reduce his salary in the event of relegation

Back