• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bilel obviously has a screw loose and you don't want that on your team, but that cowardly push in the back, he deserved that

I remember thinking the same at the time, deep down I was loving it when I saw it :hilarious:

Just to talk about him as a player, he started promisingly and looked capable on the ball as well as aggressive when challenging. There were some slight hints at problems that would become more obvious as time went on. He basically has a problem with concentration, he's capable of making really basic mistakes in positioning or distribution and this cost us. He also regularly gets caught under the ball at crosses and this also cost us.

He showed those weaknesses at Southend as well although they weren't often exploited in League Two in what was a largely successful loan spell. No player is perfect and they all have their weaknesses, it's how you use the team to cover them which matters. I thought at the time that he may make a better defensive midfielder than centre-half and it'll be interesting to see if PB plays him there at all when/if Turner gets fit.

He showed those weaknesses at Southend as well although they weren't often exploited in League Two in what was a largely successful loan spell. No player is perfect and they all have their weaknesses, it's how you use the team to cover them which matters. I thought at the time that he may make a better defensive midfielder than centre-half and it'll be interesting to see if PB plays him there at all when/if Turner gets fit.

I remember thinking this at the time as well. Great minds and all that

A massive upgrade on Thompson. I was gutted when Thompson left but if you told me when he left he would be replaced with Kiernan I wouldn't give a toss that he was going.

We've upgraded in the right areas and really are going to do well this season. If we can get another centre mid in before Saturday that's some seriously good business by PB.

Roll back to when Thompson left and the drama that some went into.

Claiming the club was in crisis and no one wants to play for us yada yada yada. Now roll forward to now and realise what an over reaction it was.

Probably the most successful close season we have had, with the likes of Kiernan and Turner returning to the manager that apparently no one wants to play for and losing Thompson and Atkinson barely registers now.

Maybe next May when players leave people will actually wait until we bring players in before panicking.

Roll back to when Thompson left and the drama that some went into.

Claiming the club was in crisis and no one wants to play for us yada yada yada. Now roll forward to now and realise what an over reaction it was.

Probably the most successful close season we have had, with the likes of Kiernan and Turner returning to the manager that apparently no one wants to play for and losing Thompson and Atkinson barely registers now.

Maybe next May when players leave people will actually wait until we bring players in before panicking.

You'll be saying this again in a years time guaranteed :hilarious:

As so many people wanted to talk about Rangers and Scottish Football, I created a nice new thread for you to have that conversation and moved your posts to it.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?93778-Rangers-and-Scottish-football

Feel free to continue your conversation about the merits or otherwise of Rangers and Scottish football there and let's try and keep this thread Southend related please.

Thank you.

Related to Scottish fitba, but very much on topic re Rob Kiernan...most of the negative feedback I've seen from Rangers fans seemed to stem from a couple of bad performances last year, and in particular a 5-1 defeat to Celtic. There's a lot of talk on here about the low quality of the SPFL (some of it justified) but Celtic are a very decent side....Celtic's side last season was packed full of quality that we will simply not see at League 1 level this season.....players such as Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts, Leigh Griffiths, Tom Rogic, Scott Sinclair, Scott Brown would make almost every defender at Championship level look average, let alone League 1 defenders.

So essentially his performances against Celtic last season aren't really relevant to how he is likely to perform for Southend this season. If he had the quality to have those sorts of players in his pocket he we wouldn't be signing him.

I think he is a fantastic signing and will do very well for us in League 1 and hopefully beyond.

Related to Scottish fitba, but very much on topic re Rob Kiernan...most of the negative feedback I've seen from Rangers fans seemed to stem from a couple of bad performances last year, and in particular a 5-1 defeat to Celtic. There's a lot of talk on here about the low quality of the SPFL (some of it justified) but Celtic are a very decent side....Celtic's side last season was packed full of quality that we will simply not see at League 1 level this season.....players such as Moussa Dembele, Patrick Roberts, Leigh Griffiths, Tom Rogic, Scott Sinclair, Scott Brown would make almost every defender at Championship level look average, let alone League 1 defenders.

So essentially his performances against Celtic last season aren't really relevant to how he is likely to perform for Southend this season. If he had the quality to have those sorts of players in his pocket he we wouldn't be signing him.

I think he is a fantastic signing and will do very well for us in League 1 and hopefully beyond.

And we might start to find out if that is true in the next 26 hours or so. Cripes - what happened to all those weeks since the end of last season?

Thank goodness we had a new kit to discuss.

Back