• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The latest Moody Blues article has been put up on the Club Website this afternoon: "Nights In White Snow Times"

Link: https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/august/moody-blues-liverpool-match/

If anyone doesn't quite get the corny title (apologies for that one) you may need to find someone over 50ish with a knowledge of the singles chart in late 1967 (though it was released more successfully in 1972).:guitar::drummer::violin::piano::kev:

Possibly a little known fact about Alan is that he was a ball boy at the 1966 world cup as the old Ayresome Park ground in Middlesbrough was used for one of the groups and he was a youngster on the books at Middlesbrough at that time.

The latest Moody Blues article has been put up on the Club Website this afternoon: "Nights In White Snow Times"

Link: https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/august/moody-blues-liverpool-match/

If anyone doesn't quite get the corny title (apologies for that one) you may need to find someone over 50ish with a knowledge of the singles chart in late 1967 (though it was released more successfully in 1972).:guitar::drummer::violin::piano::kev:

What a night v the Still at the time..the best team in Europe.....till may..then Forest were...best time ever

Coming next week on the club website are articles re:

- a fans memories (not me) which really provides an exceptional message, and
- memories from ex team mates with some great words from Ron Poutney, Garry Nelson, Derek Spence, Tony Hadley and Paul Clark

Also I am waiting details on a cricket match where a group of lads are just getting together and will use it to raise funds for the campaign

The club too are in the process of getting some framed tribute prints done with the aim of selling/auctioning off for the campaign, again details to follow on that

When I have the next update on the online donations total I'll let you know.

Cheers

Just thought I'd let you all know of a wonderful gesture happening in support of the Moody Blues campaign.

This coming Sunday 20 August at Rayleigh Cricket Ground, Rawreth Lane at 3.00 pm a cricket match is being held between a group of friends - they just wanted to have a match as it seemed a fun thing to do and for some of them it's been years since they have played so they wanted to dust down their whites. Anyway, with some being Shrimpers and having heard of the Moody Blues campaign (this was not prompted by the Shrimpers Trust/me) they thought they'd use the match to raise funds for the campaign, principally via a raffle for prizes including a signed SUFC match ball, match tickets, wine, a Debenhams voucher, beer, etc etc.

So a big thanks to Lee Venus, Tom White, Gary Bush and their friends for doing this, it's a great example (and I've seen many mentioned before on this site for all sorts of things) of fans coming together to help/pay tribute to someone and I hope have a bit of fun in doing it.

UTB

Latest Moody Blues article up on the website today and worth a read - memories from Derek Spence, Ron Poutney, Garry Nelson, Tony Hadley and Paul Clark. The link: https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/august/moody-blues-memories-from-past-team-mates/

Worthy of repeating here are some great thoughts from Paul Clark: "Paul Clark: Alan was calmness personified, elegant, honest, consistent, and most of all, talented. He gave me advice when I was a kid and was a solid teammate when I returned older but maybe not wiser. Despite all of this my admiration for Alan grew to new heights recently in the face of his personal traumas - I phoned him when I heard of his issues expecting to speak to a downbeat person who had every right to feel sorry for himself. Far from it, instead he was the same upbeat brave man who I admired as a player. Alan was a great player, captain, teammate and hopefully friend. He is the very definition of a Southend United legend. He does not deserve what has happened to him but he deserves, more than most, the support of everyone even though he would never ask for it - the man has too much class for that."

Thanks to all for donating so far, as ever it seems the SZ community is leading the way.

I'll donate via the bucket collection on Saturday. Great stuff Suffolk, keep it going mate.

Southend became my team when I first saw them in 1969,seeing Alan Moody play for us in the 70's double underlined my love of our club,a true legend,donation sent.:Worthy::Worthy:

Donated.

He was before my time, but I've read enough about the club's history to know he's an all-time legend (a first ballot SZ's Southend United Hall of Famer no less).

As someone who gave his all for the club for over 500 appearances, the very least we can do is support him now. He's not just one of our own, but one of our very best.

Just a heads up about the Cricket match this Sunday. It is at Rayleigh CC in Rawreth Lane. The nearest post code is SS11 8SP. The ground is actually about 400 metres due west, back towards the A1245, from that post code.

The bar will be open and a B-B-Q on the go......All are welcome and if you can't make it how about buying a raffle ticket or two. We have had some great prises donated so far.

If any of you fancy a game, the standard wont be that high, then please PM me as there are still a couple of places left before we ask club cricketers.

Some of you may have played football at the old ground at the far end of Rawreth Lane with the white pavilion. The match will be on the next ground back towards Rayleigh....Look out for the hidden entrance amongst the trees

Last edited:
Just sent details of this to an Argyle mate. He is going to post it on their 'Free Chat' Facebook group. It has over 5,000 members, so this hopefully will help bring in a few more pennies.

Back