Likes Likes:  95
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotherham 5 - 0 Southend United.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Just researched my question:

Carlisle 5 Southend 0 - Jan 98, last time we lost by 5 goals in the league, so our worst league performance by just short of 20 years!!!!
    Just tried to check some results on http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/ I know it hadn't been updated for a while but at least it had some useful info. But not at the moment it would seem.

LOL , fair enough! I'll dismiss some of those results (thanks for reminding me ) Still the worst defeat for at least 10 years, not sure what the emoji **** takes about?

Carlisle 5 Southend 0 - Jan 98, last time we lost by 5 goals in the league, so our worst league performance by just short of 20 years!!!!
    Was there also a 5-0 at Darlington or was it only 4-0?

Quote Originally Posted by Up the Shrimpers View Post
    Was there also a 5-0 at Darlington or was it only 4-0?
    yeah that was 4-0.

we also lost 5-0 at Oxford and 6-1 at Crystal Palace in 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Weston's left foot View Post
    yeah that was 4-0.

Yeah although I saw the 7-0 at Sunderland and the 8-1 at Gillingham and a few other 5-0, the 5-0 away at Oxford in 1996 remains one of the worst I have ever seen us play. Oh plus the 6 or was it 5 nil away at Swindon in the FLT about 12 years ago.

I think the 5-0 away at Oxford in 1996 was first away game of the season as well?

Someone really doesn't like Crystal Palace do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Weston's left foot View Post
    yeah that was 4-0.

i was at both the Oxford and palace games. I remember the Oxford game more as we were on the old terracing at the manor ground behind the goal, literally within touching distance of the goal net. I remember Keith Dublin being subjected to some of the worse abuse including racial that I've ever heard
    Billericay Shrimper

Yeah although I saw the 7-0 at Sunderland and the 8-1 at Gillingham and a few other 5-0, the 5-0 away at Oxford in 1996 remains one of the worst I have ever seen us play. Oh plus the 6 or was it 5 nil away at Swindon in the FLT about 12 years ago.

I think the 5-0 away at Oxford in 1996 was first away game of the season as well?

Didnt we also lose 6-2 away to Notts County the week before or after the Gillingham 8-1?
    Billericay Shrimper

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

However we're all feeling this morning (I'm still feeling rubbish), nobody expected this result, as proven by the prediction league, not a 0-5 in sight. So lets hope PB and the squad get their **** together ten minutes from now and we see the 'Blackburn' Southend against Plymouth.

I spent a fair chunk of time yesterday morning trying to find imaginative ways to convince iFollow that I lived in Amsterdam and that I deserved to be able to buy a one day pass for the Rotherham game, I failed miserably..............sometimes God is kind!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

What about the 9 - 1 against Brighton my introduction as a kid to a bad day at the office

Big Nev was in goal...........probably the only time in his life he let in 5.

I literally don't know where to begin.

All I have seen on Facebook etc are people who didn't go to the game telling those who did it's an over reaction blah blah I'm sorry but you wasn't there you wasn't standing there embarrassed being mocked by home fans as to how **** we are having been up at 6am and spent well over 100 for the pleasure! So when people tweet and say we want a refund don't come out with "its football you chose to go", truth is people don't really want a refund it's venting their anger to the club regarding our worst defeat in 20 years!

Oxley - 6 - was probably our MOTM. He had no chance for any goal and actually made some good saves to keep it down to five...
    JD 5
    White 6
    Ferdinand 4
    Hendrie 2 - quite possible the most inept performance I've seen from a LB. He was absolutely destroyed down the left hand side
    McGlashan 5 didn't even have a chance to do anything
    lenny 4 looked uninterested
    Timlin 5 didn't give up as he never does
    Kightly 5 again didn't give up
    Cox 5 kept running for the ball, didn't give up but didn't come off for him.
    MAF 6 Worked hard

Kiernan 5 didn't do anything wrong
    Robinson 5 meh
    McGlaughlin 5 meh

Brown 1 - we go 3-0 down and he takes off a winger for a CB to play him CM, forcing arguably our best player in Leonard out to RM... why? What's the point? The game is literally lost by this point anyway!? At least keep a winger in and have a go!
    Twitter - @LennySUFC

Coach

Here's some which I still have nightmares about......1958 0-4 down in a few first half minutes v Norwich away someone snatched my bobble hat off my head after the 4th and losing 1-6 at Brentford centuries ago and 2-5 at home to Chesterfeld with Gordon Banks in goal. All horrific and, at the time terminal results. We are still here though folks, we survived and moved on. This we will do again. COYBB

Very disappointing performance and result obviously and there is a lot to do tactically and probably mentally by the players before the next game...they will be judge now on how they bounce back from this now

first visit to the ground and it is a cracking little stadium. We won't play on a better surface all season...it was like a billiard table, but as with quite a few times last season away we just seemed intent on moving the ball forward quickly, even it is was not aimed at one of our players. And what's the point of lumping it all day when the opposition were very strong in the air. Was really expecting us to get it on the deck and pass and move.

Rotherham front two look a handful and based on that performance, they could be in for a good season

we really have to sort the defence out...you can't have a RB and LB who can't defend and teams get behind them all the time

be interesting to see what team Brown puts out for the next game and how they respond after this game

Embarrassing yes. The sign of things to come, probably not! At least it was the second league game of the season, not the second to last game of the season... no need to panic at this stage but there is obviously an issue somewhere.

More concerning is Anton's poor display, as the captain he sets the tone. I thought he looked like he could be injured last week, and having just lost his mum it is possible that a niggling injury and his head not quite in the right place is having a big impact. Pretty sure nothing to do with age, slowing down is countered by vast experience normally so shouldn't be a problem. Neither he or the club will say anything about an injury or his feelings about his mum so just speculation. With John White doing a good job and keirnan hopefully getting fitter over the next few weeks can't see this being a longer term problem but until there is cover we are vulnerable at the back. Hendrie will improve I am sure, but he isn't Coker!

Hopefully the 7am start for training today will help!

It's a traumatic experience to see our team thoroughly spanked and laughed off the pitch. Rotherham were never going to be easy - I predicted a draw - but never saw 5-0 coming. The only consolation that I can draw is to see that Rotherham themselves were embarrassed at Fleetwood last week and came out of their traps yesterday determined to make us pay. We can and must do the same against Plymouth Argyle.

One final consoling thought for the morning after the afternoon before..... think how Yeovil fans felt this time last week. They'll feel better today. And, on the other hand, Luton fans will be spitting feathers this morning......

Only a strong victory over Argyle will be good enough next Saturday. COYB!!!!