• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Already witnessing just how much covering Atkinson offered Demitrou. I can't believe that early sub wasn't JD off, John White to RB and Keirnan CB

In a very strange way Oxley was probably the only man to come away with any credit despite conceding 5, as he didn't actually do anything wrong. The outfield players were an absolute embarrassment

I literally don't know where to begin.

All I have seen on Facebook etc are people who didn't go to the game telling those who did it's an over reaction blah blah I'm sorry but you wasn't there you wasn't standing there embarrassed being mocked by home fans as to how **** we are having been up at 6am and spent well over £100 for the pleasure! So when people tweet and say we want a refund don't come out with "its football you chose to go", truth is people don't really want a refund it's venting their anger to the club regarding our worst defeat in 20 years!

Oxley - 6 - was probably our MOTM. He had no chance for any goal and actually made some good saves to keep it down to five...
JD 5
White 6
Ferdinand 4
Hendrie 2 - quite possible the most inept performance I've seen from a LB. He was absolutely destroyed down the left hand side
McGlashan 5 didn't even have a chance to do anything
lenny 4 looked uninterested
Timlin 5 didn't give up as he never does
Kightly 5 again didn't give up
Cox 5 kept running for the ball, didn't give up but didn't come off for him.
MAF 6 Worked hard

Kiernan 5 didn't do anything wrong
Robinson 5 meh
McGlaughlin 5 meh

Brown 1 - we go 3-0 down and he takes off a winger for a CB to play him CM, forcing arguably our best player in Leonard out to RM... why? What's the point? The game is literally lost by this point anyway!? At least keep a winger in and have a go!

Spot on Lenny. I was there too i'm afraid and i agree fully with your ratings.
Ox and White were best of a bad bunch.
Ox produced two one on one saves and without him it would have been even worse.

Already witnessing just how much covering Atkinson offered Demitrou. I can't believe that early sub wasn't JD off, John White to RB and Keirnan CB

In a very strange way Oxley was probably the only man to come away with any credit despite conceding 5, as he didn't actually do anything wrong. The outfield players were an absolute embarrassment

Whilst I agree he was the best of a bad bunch, I thought his kicking was very poor.

Yeah although I saw the 7-0 at Sunderland and the 8-1 at Gillingham and a few other 5-0, the 5-0 away at Oxford in 1996 remains one of the worst I have ever seen us play. Oh plus the 6 or was it 5 nil away at Swindon in the FLT about 12 years ago.

I think the 5-0 away at Oxford in 1996 was first away game of the season as well?

Someone really doesn't like Crystal Palace do they?

Oh yes 6-1 to Swindon in 2002. It included a rare Graeme Jones goal.
I was there for that one too :sad:

Whilst I agree he was the best of a bad bunch, I thought his kicking was very poor.

I was meaning in terms of the goals conceeded. None of them were directly his fault. Every one of them was met by defending a Sunday league side would even laugh at

I was meaning in terms of the goals conceeded. None of them were directly his fault. Every one of them was met by defending a Sunday league side would even laugh at

Yeah fair enough, that I agree on and said exactly that in my ratings.

Well I've certainly had better away days 0-5 is now my personal worst.

Where do I begin.......mmm. Agree with Ricey, Moore and Procter were a real handful and we couldn't deal with either of them. Think Ranger at his absolute best and if Cox had a bigger stronger brother. Williams, complete with ponytail, is one to watch. Their pitch was like a snooker table and his speed and weight of his pass was superb and at times murdered us. By the way their lads at the back were no mugs either. So don't go putting any money on Rotherham having a double relegation.

Despite our best 11 back on the pitch we carried on where we left off v Newport. Anton was off the pace from the start. I have no inside information but as a bad back long term sufferer myself, I would say the way he walked off that could well be the problem.

Kightly and McG struggled to get in the game and we couldn't keep the ball up top. Unlike a lot of you I'm not big fan of MAF. Ideal to have on the bench and run the channels and more than ok if all around him are firing on all cylinders. The problem is when we are under pressure he doesn't do enough for me. At 0-0 their lads up top didn't need the 'perfect' ball, they would run and jump and keep us under pressure. MAF wants to take it on his chest all the time, sorry mate this is L1 and now and again you have to just jump and not let the defender have an easy day.

With Lenny or Timlin not going to win the L1 passer of the season award, the balls into feet were poor for Cox and MAF and almost non existent to the two wide lads. The ref gave some really soft fouls for them, 2 against McG in dangerous positons and they force a corner and Moore headed just over with another. Nothing against JW but the warning signs were there, we were going to struggle in the air. Certainly a day when we could have done with a fit Turner type of CB.

So at 0-0 Hendrie takes a sloppy throw and MAF doesn't do enough as comes into feet, just like last week when Timlin conceded that free kick after MAF was to casual they break down our left. It would have been cleared but the lino managed to miss the 2 handed rugby style charge down by them and that was it 1-0 down. Barely had we breathed and it was 2-0, I thought we could have held our line and played him off for the second, I'll have to have another look.

The 3rd was just a quality move and finish.....3 goals in 3 attacks. If you want to be harsh on Oxley then the first seemed to go through him a bit but if a player has that much time on a perfect pitch and fires it low then its a good finish.

The Kiernan sub had fans booing but it may come as a surprise to a few of you but he was signed with the view that he can play as a defensive CM. Not the fault of McG but he wasn't in the game and we were on the rack both in the air and on the floor so I thought that was the right decision. Stanley Matthews might get you back in the game from 3 down but yesterday it was time to take our medicine and think of damage control.

As I was driving I couldn't even console myself with an early half time pint. I had already noted the rather annoying habit of 0ne kiosk open for nearly 600 fans so I headed off for queue beating Balti pie. On the way some idiot had taken it upon himself to go down the front and abuse Oxley as we had conceded 3 :nope: The acoustics in the concourse meant that when the 4th went in it sounded like we had scored. The TV was about 5 seconds behind so lots of shrimpers rushed from the queue only to see it was 4-0 before HT. Still that was the best part off the day for me as I jumped to the front of the queue, oh and the pork roll from the burger van outside the ground on the way home.

Second half we should have had a couple of goals to claw back some respectability. Cox was on a card and looked like his frustration might boil over to a second so again it was the right choice. The much criticised this week Robinson done ok and the 3 chances missed by MAF were in total easier then the 3 scored by Moore. MAF didn't look to pleased when our fans abused him after hitting the post.

Felt sorry for Hendrie because I can guess what's coming. The 5th goal kind of summed up our day, when Hendrie got forward he actually delivered some good first time balls. They cut them out and defended well. Hendrie ended up with the ball shooting under him as he tried to block the cross. Now we know there's a good player in there as we have seen it before. He has come in to replace Coker after a confidence knocking season at Blackburn. I fear he will be targeted by the boo boys for the crime of not being Coker if anything goes wrong. Just like Lenny will be if we lose. Nobody was blaming Coker or Lenny when we shipped a few and had that bad start last season. Now of course we have a good reason to target them both, which unfortunately some of you much prefer over supporting them and making sure they and ultimately we have a good season.

Some of the players and PB came down to our end at the final whistle to say thank you and sorry but of course this was not well received by all out of those of us who were left.

Still I would have taken 3 points from those opening 2 fixtures, without the 0-5 of course. So lets get back on track and work hard this week and put it right v Plymouth. :thumbsup:

I totally understand the anger and embarrassment from all those who went yesterday and fully support all the comments in that regard.
However , last week we played very well and won and this week we played very poorly and lost.
I'm not trying to dilute the anger , but this is pretty much how it will be ( with degrees of variation ) and how it has been in recent years.

Just researched my question:

Carlisle 5 Southend 0 - Jan 98, last time we lost by 5 goals in the league, so our worst league performance by just short of 20 years!!!!

I was at this one as well.

Make no mistake Rotherham are a good side. Well organised with pace and creativity and two big front men who had freedom of our box all game.

That said our team were slow disjointed and looked clueless through. I left with 20 minutes to go and was back in Eastwood for a party at 8pm.

Our defence looked vulnerable all afternoon. Their winger on the right tore a poor hendrie a new arsehole. He has been poor in the last two games. Going forward both him and Demetriou are good players. The problem is that neither of them can defend. Teams who exploit us out wide and behind will have a field day.

Ferdinand looked terrible. Didn't win a single thing and was rightly subbed to much abuse from the home fans. He looked so down after coming off. Not sure if his recent bereavement is having am effect or he is injured but he is a shadow of his previous performances.

As others have said if not for Oxley we would have lost by a much bigger margin. Still think he could have done better for one or two of their goals. Their third was very good and I clapped. The build up was fantastic.

I have said time and again that football is a simple game of pass and move. We didn't pass and our movement not just yesterday but at other times under Brown has been very poor.

IF we have our first team fit and that includes Ranger coker and Wordsworth then we will not see results like this again.

The problem is that we have a team of expensively assembled crocks and an influential player who clearly doesn't want to be here.

We still need 2 or 3 new players one of which needs to be an experienced and hardworking midfielder. Fwiw will Atkinson would have been a great player to have yesterday.

I have a wedding next Saturday so can't go but i really hope we turn it around and quickly.

The game seems to reflect the same problems as the start of last season. Scunthorpe away was atrocious and I remember walking out after 75 mins away at Northampton when 4-0 down. You would think it would be different this year. I really didn't like the attitude and application of the players on Tuesday and we put it down to saving themselves for Saturday, they were worse!
Hendrie got battered by Nouble on Tuesday and had his confidence wiped out, then got roasted again yesterday. If I was the Plymouth manager, I'd target him straight away on Saturday.

Hopefully Woody will be back soon,any news on when Turner is likely to be back?Once they are back it should help.

Honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've never reacted like that to a football match before but I was genuinely angry at that ***** I was watching. Thank **** that isn't our first team and apologies to anyone I annoyed for shouting **** for 90 minutes

Very true,us fans new to be patient judge our performance when all our players are available

My gripe is that we were told this last season too...why are our players not ready for a seasons beginning...AGAIN!!! It's no secret when the season starts, so why has the manager assembled a squad that can't have a decent pre season thus costing us valuable points...please see last season for proof of this.

I was working down in Southampton at the Ford Transit plant, jumped on the train and went up to the game at Palace....8-0 wright and bright did the damage If I remember....that was along train journey back let alone the abuse I received the next day from the saints fans at work.

These results happen, it's not nice and you just hope its a fluke, a bad day at the office and the players will get back to winning ways next week.....even if next week we have a scrappy 1-0 win I would take it

Back