Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highlights (Rotherham goals).....

Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh dan View Post
    We've dumped our only decent defensive midfielder in Atkinson, yet expect an easy win?! Both full backs can't defend, yet we're surprised at a pasting? PB - earn your corn now mate, need a win to restore some faith!
    You know that Leonard is still with us, right?

I actually agree that although Atkinson was limited and I wasn't sad to see him leave, we probably do miss his industriousness on one flank to sure things up. I wasn't there but can imagine that McGlashan and Kightly leaves us a bit exposed and we were simply overrun. If Ranger gets back in a few weeks I wonder if we might play 451 a bit more with him as a sole striker. Cox and Fortune aren't going to play a full press and so we do run the risk of struggling to win the midfield battle, if up against a strong 4 or 5.
    disgusting smelling clique

Fair point, perhaps I should have said wide defensive midfielders. We've got two full backs who struggle to defend and yet we have no defensive back up from wide in midfield

I watched it live on iFollow, can't bring myself to watch it again!

Looking at that I thought JW could have done better tbh.

Ferdinand to blame for at least three hopelessly nowhere near his man.
    not always good but never ever boring

Quote Originally Posted by leeblue View Post
    Ferdinand to blame for at least three hopelessly nowhere near his man.
    Fully agree. He looked terrible. I hope this is a one off as he is usually very good

I didn't do any player ratings on the appropriate thread last week vs Blackburn because I felt that the defence was not really tested with the system deployed by Blackburn. In fact the only reason they didn't score sooner was because they missed a sitter on about 35 IIRC.

The truth is I worry about Ferdinand, something isn't right... He just doesn't show the kind of experience and composure I would expect of a former premier league Centre half. John White has so far been the stand out CB, so a pairing of AF and RK is unlikely to happen anytime soon. I can't be too critical of a player who is not even match fit yet, but I fear a flop in Rob Kiernan but will continue to support him in a blues shirt.

Kightly will have great games and indifferent ones, he has the burden of being marked out in every game he plays.

Do not understand at all the reason why we extended Theo's contract, I just don't see a player in there.... I think he had a purple patch at Lincoln last season in the cup and got him noticed (again), but I suspect we've dropped a clanger there unless he's on low wages, or we have an easy way out....

McLaughlin looked completely out of sorts when he came on vs Blackburn, he'll struggle to get in ahead of McGlashan if he offers no attacking prowess.

Wingers are not my main concern this season though, my big worry is our midfield. I have no regrets over losing Atkinson, but we're still fielding (to me) a League Two midfield in Timlin and Ryan Leonard simply doesn't want to play for us. All very well coming out to the Echo about how he'll play for the shirt, but when the chips are down if the heart is gone, it is gone.... We should probably have cashed in on him at around 750K (if that was ever an offer tabled) and brought in TWO midfield players with strong CH experience, I cannot emphasise enough the importance of a strong, experienced and creative midfield.

Oxley may have done ok at the weekend (albeit shipping 5 goals), and he made a good save vs Blackburn, but he had some really shaky moments and I do not trust him or Smith between the sticks. Truth is I'm mortified at the quality we have in goal having such a history of excellent goalies....

I have no concerns up top, Simon Cox is quality (generally speaking) and MAF will act as good cover until NR returns (god we need him).

I think our problems vs Rotherham were compounded by the midweek changes, I think it disrupted the team and whilst we may not have won, the scoreline might have been a little easier to swallow.

We go again next week, let's hope we Phil Brown can get a reaction from this and we see a positive response!
    Remembering the scandal of "Stickersgate"

Jeez ! You sure that link was to Sky Sports ? Looked like the Horror Channel to me.
    Previously known as SuperKings.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trucking shrimper View Post
    I watched it live on iFollow, can't bring myself to watch it again!
    Ditto .But I was "pleased" to see--not sure that's quite the mot juste-that there was a commentary for this on the extended match highlights,-albeit from a Rotherham pov.SUFC please take note!
    “And I need you more than want you / And I want you for all time”

Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb.Wichita Lineman.

Just had a look on YouTube as I don't do sky. You get more action including that Miss by MAF. Not sure how people put 3 of the goals down to Ferdinand or Hendrie for that matter. You'll have to play it through a couple of times to see what I'm talking about but here goes.

Goal 1...Fortune loses the ball deep in their half and they attack down our left. Note about 3 Rotherham players pressing Ferdinand as he clears but is charged down with a hand ball (not clear on the TV but it was from behind the goal). Yes he could have put it out but we had already struggled from set pieces, so he probably had that in his mind. JW can't dive in once its in the Box and unfortunately Demme pays Moore on-side. Note where Kightly is when they score.

Goal 2..... We lose the ball in their half and they carve us apart as Deme has attacked and is now out of position. I thought we should have held our line at the time but worse than that now I've seen the replay it was off-side so should not have counted.

Goal 3.... Good goal end of. By then the were in full flow and the movement and finishing was top draw. Could win their goal of the season

Goal 4...Timlin gives a bad pass to Hendrie on his right foot. Notre he is closed down by 2 players including hatric boy Moore who passes sharply to Williams. Note the quality and weight of pass to Procter who makes a good strong run and picks out Moore for the return. Great running and work rate to create the chance but a nice simple finish.

Goal 5...Ferdinand is tight on Moore but he holds him off with strength and chests a nice ball down Williams, quick pass into Procter who has come off our back four. The busy Moore has made a good run and Procter finds him with another pass we couldn't manage all day. While all this is going on note the run by Williams and his desire to get on the end of the cross. Note also our lack of desire to stop him.

You could argue that they got a couple of lucky decisions, including before the first goal, from the officials but you make your own luck and from then on we were beaten by a much better side on the day. Their closing down their passing and moving as well as finishing was all streets ahead of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
    Goal 2..... We lose the ball in their half and they carve us apart as Deme has attacked and is now out of position. I thought we should have held our line at the time but worse than that now I've seen the replay it was off-side so should not have counted.
    SUFC Offside.jpg

Clutching at straws there..... Even if it were offside, it's the finest of margins which would have needed a number of replays and even then I doubt it would have been ruled out. I think this is making excuses for our defence.

Awful viewing that! Looked like Ferdinand man for at least 3 of them possibly even 4. Hope that's a bad day at the office for him and not a sign of things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by superblue24 View Post
    SUFC Offside.jpg

Clutching at straws there..... Even if it were offside, it's the finest of margins which would have needed a number of replays and even then I doubt it would have been ruled out. I think this is making excuses for our defence.
    That's called offside then and it wasn't a difficult one for the linesman. I have hardly used it an excuse if you read the whole post.

I listened to it on the radio, that was enough for me Couldn't bear to watch the "highlights" as well

Quote Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
    That's called offside then and it wasn't a difficult one for the linesman. I have hardly used it an excuse if you read the whole post.
    But you can't just say "should have been offside, so the goal shouldn't have counted" as a means to somehow make it seem like we were incredibly hard done by. It was a marginal call, one that we see all the time in football and if we had to analyse every on field decision like a DRS LBW review in cricket, games would last 3 hours long. I can't really argue with that decision, it is close enough to go either way for me.

This one is definitely Ferdinand's fault, he hasn't made the required ground to get a block on a cross that resulted in an easy tap-in.