• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Brown explains early substitution

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has explained why Rob Kiernan was brought on when the Shrimpers were 3-0 down at Rotherham United on Saturday.

More...

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has explained why Rob Kiernan was brought on when the Shrimpers were 3-0 down at Rotherham United on Saturday.

More...

Its an interesting response. It was difficult to see what we trying to do. I thought we were looking at going to 3-2-3-2, but it was really hard to see what was going on. It was that chaotic.

So it seems the answer is that we were too short. That does pose questions, such as ... did anyone have Rotherham watched? Did we do any research on their players?

I know PB likes to (or did) set up training to replicate how the next opponents played.

So God only knows what went wrong Saturday because we struggled to look like professional footballers, let alone any who had prepared.....

Someone should buy him the Sky Football Yearbook, he would find it useful if he was surprised Rotherham's forwards were so tall.

Just summoned up the courage to watch the goals. None of them were as a result of them out jumping us or being taller than us. They just ran past us, passed through us. The damage limitation didn't seem to work did it.

With Kiernan not being fully fit and Tuner injured it's not like we had any tall options at the back. So even if Brown was aware of their height in attack there wasn't much we could do about it in terms of starting 11.

Pace, power and precision passing seemed to be the "certain way" that Rotherham played. Of their outfield players 2 midfielders were aged 31 and 32 a centre back 27 -the other 7 were 25 and under. They appeared too quick and athletic for us and had 5 or 6 in the box on most of the goals. Glenn Pennyfather I think said Kiernan was only marking Moore which left Timlin and Leonard doing "doggies" trying to make up for the fact they were one short in midfield.

We had 6 out there who are over 30 and 2 29 year olds - I don't think we could keep up with them athletically.

I don't think the surprise was the early substitutions, It was putting Kiernan in front of the back four. I personally would have taken off Hendrie and Demetriou and put Kiernan in his centre back position and switched White to right back and brought on Kyprianou as left back. It would have added height, but more importantly the full backs may not have been run ragged so much, and stopped some of the supply chain.

What he said:

B8QkZUqRB65sQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
GSeawert
@CJPhillips1982 Damage limitation!
12 Aug 2017 15:31

I think we have a very decent squad as PB has clearly gone for quality (obviously lacking on Saturday).
The price we pay for bringing these players is that the squad is top heavy with senior pro's (old players) so we really do need the likes of Yearwood and Ba to develop at a very fast pace.

The game was GONE by then, (the substitution) & Kiernen NEEDS game time, as does Hendrie. BOTH must have competitive minutes on the pitch if they are to get up to speed and back to anywhere near the standard required. They won't get that on the bench or in training.
As long as they, and we (as a team) learn from all that went on at Rotherham (and v Newport)we can make progress. If we lost 1 or 2 nil then it would still be nil points.
As others state we have a better squad than we have had for many many seasons IF they are fit and available;- Ranger to get back and then hopefully Coker in the new year and we can move forward.

“It certainly wasn’t an indication of how Jermaine was playing we just needed more inches out on the pitch.”

Personally, I would have thought McGlashan would have offered more inches than Kiernan.

Pace, power and precision passing seemed to be the "certain way" that Rotherham played. Of their outfield players 2 midfielders were aged 31 and 32 a centre back 27 -the other 7 were 25 and under. They appeared too quick and athletic for us and had 5 or 6 in the box on most of the goals. Glenn Pennyfather I think said Kiernan was only marking Moore which left Timlin and Leonard doing "doggies" trying to make up for the fact they were one short in midfield.

We had 6 out there who are over 30 and 2 29 year olds - I don't think we could keep up with them athletically.

Yet one of our youngest players - Hendrie - was one of those who struggled most.
I'm not entirely comfortable with the age profile of our squad myself but I think there was more to Saturday's shambles than a Dads v Lads scenario.

It's easy here at home but I thought the players we had on the pitch when that sub was made were crying out to go 352.

back 3 of White Kiernan Ferdinand
Demetriou and Hendrie wing backs
Leonard and Timlin centre mid
Kightly behind the front two of
Cox and MAF

That way Hendrie can step out to stop the supply line to the forwards while also being in shape around the rest of the team.
Plus then the full backs don't have to defend as much and can attack which it looks like they might both do better than defending.

As I said, easy sitting at home but I had the same thought against Blackburn and said to my mate to take Glash off for Kiernan to do that exact thing

It's easy here at home but I thought the players we had on the pitch when that sub was made were crying out to go 352.

back 3 of White Kiernan Ferdinand
Demetriou and Hendrie wing backs
Leonard and Timlin centre mid
Kightly behind the front two of
Cox and MAF

Thats exactly the team and shape I would start with against Plymouth

How these managers get their coaching badges, but, yet fail to notice simple things like the opposition has a couple of tall boys up front is beyond me......its the sort of thing you teach an under 10s side, there are big lads up front so we need a big lads at the back marking etc......... it aint rocket science Phil, yet they think they are tactical geniuses by doing something different!!! Football is quite simple to work out!!

Back