• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Brown: Dru is edging closer to start

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown insists Dru Yearwood is ‘nudging very close’ to his starting line-up for Saturday’s clash with Plymouth Argyle.

More...

He didn't exactly shine against Newport so I hope people arent building the lad up too much.

I was keen for him to start in the cup, Im not sure a home game after a 5-0 drubbing is a great game to put a 17 year old into.

I thought that, but then after last week there has to be changes - out of principle as much as anything - and there aren't many options to do so.

I'm not so sure - PB may start with the eleven who failed dismally at Rotherham on the basis that they will have something to prove to our home fans. Whether one or two of them deserve another chance is a moot point.

You dont just change players because you have to make changes.

What justification would be playing the "2nd team" that lost to Newport? 1st team got hammered so lets play the players who couldn't beat a league two team 4 days prior.

Any changes to the team have to improve it, not be done out of "principle". Sticking a weaker team out that gets beaten again doesn't help anyone.

What changes he should make I have no idea as they were all useless, I'm not sure Yearwood is one that will make the team better right now, but if he keeps others on their toes thats something on its own.

I disagree. the players should be playing for their shirt. If they were poor on Sat, then out they go..starting with the worst. In my book, that's Kiernan (if fit) for Anton and anybody with a pulse for Hendrie...for starters !

[insert fringe player's name here] is in my thoughts for Saturday always means unchanged team for Saturday.

[insert fringe player's name here] is in my thoughts for Saturday always means unchanged team for Saturday.

I would be extremely ****ed off if come Saturday the team is unchanged!

I would be extremely ****ed off if come Saturday the team is unchanged!

Me too, but Brown is difficult to judge. He's not normally one for knee jerk reactions. I can see him making a few changes, but I can also see him allowing last Saturday's team to redeem themselves and play their way out of bad form.

He didn't exactly shine against Newport so I hope people arent building the lad up too much.

I was keen for him to start in the cup, Im not sure a home game after a 5-0 drubbing is a great game to put a 17 year old into.

Don't underestimate him. He's a fine player.

How about Phil drops himself for this match in favour of Coughlan, he (PB) had a poor last two games too :winking:

What exactly has Brown got against Harry K as a left back ?
When he played a couple of games early last season he looked an exciting prospect. Very good going forward but maybe a little naive defensively. Looked very promising and there is only one way to loose the naivity. PLAY HIM !
Since then we've had a midfielder at left back. A second choice right back at left back. Probably a goalkeeper next.
One more game from Anton like Rotherham and he has to go the same way as Adam B. He was captain also

I do not wish to appear completely negative. I'm an optimist by nature but problems have to be recognized to be solved.
Our strike force seems poor. Cox is our main man and even he looks ordinary. We need Ranger fast and maybe give young Ba more game time to develop.
We need Wordsworth for creativity and Leonard central to cover the centre halves. With Kightly out left we need a another good tackler with pace in the middle. Not sure Timlin fits the bill anymore. Maybe Yearwood should be given more chances soon. With a liitle more experience he could fill the role.
I don't like Hendrie but any full back will look poor if isolated and exposed. in a good defensive unit the center halves know when to come out and cover the full backs. I think the dubious fitness and lack of pace in the center is a huge problem. We have promising young center halves. Maybe it's time to slowly introduce them. Also who from midfield is doing the defensive roles in front of the full backs ?
I think Brown needs to make some brave decisions. We have solutions but the players need experience. This can only come by playing them. Maybe results will be mixed in the short term but this has to be a better long term option than sticking with the old men or players out of position.

How about a tactical change when Ranger and Wordsworth are fully fit.
With the players available 3 at the back is not an option so maybe 4-5-1 ?
Midfield of Loenard, Yearwood, Wordsworth, Kightly, McGlashan with Ranger up front.
Brown would have to make it very clear that anyone guilty of playing hoof ball in this formation will be out

Back