• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We don't need another striker. Unless we plan on loaning Ba out..

Strange one really.
I have total trust in PB but am concerned about the age of the team already. Experience is a huge bonus but mobility and speed art required too.

If we are after another striker surely better to find someone like Keiffer Moore, the lad who destroyed us at Rotherham and scored again on Saturday. On loan from Ipswich for whom he signed from Forest GR for £22K last January. They are out there, Phil.

If we are after another striker surely better to find someone like Keiffer Moore, the lad who destroyed us at Rotherham and scored again on Saturday. On loan from Ipswich for whom he signed from Forest GR for £22K last January. They are out there, Phil.

But you need a decent scout for that.

If I was Cole, I would want to play on as football retirement is a long time; and maybe if he, Cole can get sharper; he can then get a "gig" at Orient, Daggers, Barnet etc.
Training with his mate Anton and sharing some experiences with the squad isn't a bad thing for us is it?

We don't need another striker, we just need the ones we've got, all of whom are capable (ok too early to judge Ba yet) to either find some form or get fit. Five strikers should be enough in a L1 squad.

Forgetting the 'age' argument for a moment.
I don't think he's actually all that good...........

On the other hand, my Ipswich-supporting mates couldn't believe that Keiffer Moore dismantled us, as he's apparently an absolutely dreadful player! Not one of Ipswich's best signings.

After all the moaning last season about loan players, the club have gone a bit shy in that department. So if we really want our lads to be given a chance, then we need to get behind the likes of Dru when he does come on.

After all the moaning last season about loan players, the club have gone a bit shy in that department. So if we really want our lads to be given a chance, then we need to get behind the likes of Dru when he does come on.

I totally agree Rigsby. I've only seen him once this season against Newport and certainly the supporters around me were willing him to have a good game and applauding when he did good stuff.

Agreed and thought he was encouraged by the supporters. Fwiw though I thought he was as woeful as everyone else against Newport.

Back to the topic. Carlton Cole is a player who has played lots of games at a high level and got caps for the national side.

Is he prolific no but you don't stay at the top end of the footballing pyramid for the amount of years he has if your terrible. Does he still have the legs and fitness now. Only PB will know that.

Fwiw I don't see an issue with offering him a short term deal until Ranger is fully fit with option of extending it further should it work out well.

I also think that BA going out on loan to someone like billericay or chelmsford or braintree would give us a great indication of how far away he is from the the first team.

"Ray Parlour tells a story about player nicknames. On joining the England squad Shola Ameobi was asked about his nickname at Newcastle. Ameobi said he did not have one. Somewhat amazed, Parlour said: "but you must have one".
Ameobi still claimed not to have a nickname.
"OK" said Parlour. "Then what does Bobby Robson call you"?
Ameobi replied: "Carlton Cole"!

It was Carl Cort, but good try.

Back