• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
I don't know if you have noticed but the play-offs from the National League have changed this year. Instead of four going into the play-offs this year there are six with the following format:

Qualifying Round 4th v 7th and 5th v 6th
Semi Final 2nd v winners of 4th/7th and 3rd v winners 5th/6th
Final winners of the above semis

Just one match each tie no home or away basis.

So what would you think if this was applied to League One and Two?

I don't know if you have noticed but the play-offs from the National League have changed this year. Instead of four going into the play-offs this year there are six with the following format:

Obviously to replicate that in League 2, you would have to go down to 9th. I don't think any team finishing 9th should be going up ; it devalues the proper League games.

I know we went up via the play offs but I'm not a great fan of them, top 3 or 4 bottom 3 or 4 or whatever the scenario is, it's over the full season not just a few games at the end. Top teams and bottom teams only in the positons they finish

I suppose it makes some sense for the Conference considering only 1 goes up automatically, so in past years most of the top half have had nothing to play for. I'm assuming 2nd and 3rd get home advantage in the semis as well?

I don't think it's needed for League 1 though since 6th place is usually in reach for a lot of teams all the way to the end.

This might be of interest to east Thurrock! (Lewis Smith looks a top player if a bit too gobby).

Obviously to replicate that in League 2, you would have to go down to 9th. I don't think any team finishing 9th should be going up ; it devalues the proper League games.

agree with this.

Maybe if you wanted a 4 club playoff format you could have the 3rd and 4th teams play each other, then the winner plays second, and the subsequent winner plays the 1st team in the final

Rubbish, over complicating what is a very good system at the moment.

I know we went up via the play offs but I'm not a great fan of them, top 3 or 4 bottom 3 or 4 or whatever the scenario is, it's over the full season not just a few games at the end. Top teams and bottom teams only in the positons they finish

Im the opposite, the play offs are a great system and it keeps the season alive for half the table for much longer. The added drama and excitement are only good for the game at this level.

Back