• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our season has started just as last seasons did , its no fault of PBs ,it comes down to the fact that we have so many injuries so early in the season.Im sure once we are able to field a full strength team ,the results will come our way,at present all PB can do is hopefully plug those gaps especially in defence as best he can.Apparently Bwono played well on tuesday night reading the threads here,well that to begin with is a bonus,im sure Klass,Yearwood , Ba and Kyptonite will also learn and become good players for the club as they get more experience.Lets all get behind the club not put it down,we are after all called supporters so lets SUPPORT.

Our season has started just as last seasons did , its no fault of PBs ,it comes down to the fact that we have so many injuries so early in the season.Im sure once we are able to field a full strength team ,the results will come our way,at present all PB can do is hopefully plug those gaps especially in defence as best he can.Apparently Bwono played well on tuesday night reading the threads here,well that to begin with is a bonus,im sure Klass,Yearwood , Ba and Kyptonite will also learn and become good players for the club as they get more experience.Lets all get behind the club not put it down,we are after all called supporters so lets SUPPORT.

So lots of injuries at the start of last season, lots of injuries at the start of this season. Getting players in that have had little or no game time the season before so injuries occur. Who's fault is that then if it isn't the managers?

Michael Turner.....last 5 years has made 96 appearances,less than 20 games per season,last season only 3 appearances!..in a few weeks he will be 34.......what on earth will he bring long or medium term....if we get 25 games out of him at decent standard so what....next season we will need somebody to replace him(hmmm forgot this is SUFC so another year deal then )

Last league game the average age was 30....only Lenny has any transfer value.
The Posh last league game the average age was 24 with their 22 year old striker has nearly the same goals tally as the entire Southend squad.

Barmyarmy.

Who makes these signing...Ron or Phil?....any football person knows you ain't doing much with a team of old players,The Gills league game had an average age of THIRTY...what a joke.

I don't understand the reasons.
. You do know Brazil won the World Cup with a team with an average age of over 30- is that "ain't doing not much". You like to make everything in football black and white / right or wrong - it isn't like that.
buying players is like buying a house and doing it up, you know what you want, and what you can actually afford, and you have to make compromises.

From Chris P on Twitter:

Brown says Harry Kyprianou and Dan Matsuzaka are in his thoughts. Also thinks Michael Timlin could play centre-back.

Brown said it was still too early to know how badly Anton Ferdinand and John White were injured. Says they're 50/50 for Saturday.

Brown: "We could have the under 18 defence playing on Saturday."

Brown: "I am looking at defenders now but I'm fully aware of the fact I've spent a large chunk of the budget in that area already."

An honest assessment from PB re the budget.

. You do know Brazil won the World Cup with a team with an average age of over 30- is that "ain't doing not much". You like to make everything in football black and white / right or wrong - it isn't like that.
buying players is like buying a house and doing it up, you know what you want, and what you can actually afford, and you have to make compromises.

If houses are the analogy then I'd want my manager to build a house, not buy one. When we pay for his salary we should be paying for the expertise of an experienced builder rather than the silver-tongued salesmanship of an estate agent.

Create it from the back up. Build it on solid foundations that would last.

Instead we've purchased buildings that are falling down. When cracks appear we don't address the underlying issues but just attempt to plaster over it and hope no-one notices by buying another soon to be condemned building that has been recently repainted.

It's just short term fix after short term fix.

If houses are the analogy then I'd want my manager to build a house, not buy one. When we pay for his salary we should be paying for the expertise of an experienced builder rather than the silver-tongued salesmanship of an estate agent.

Create it from the back up. Build it on solid foundations that would last.

Instead we've purchased buildings that are falling down. When cracks appear we don't address the underlying issues but just attempt to plaster over it and hope no-one notices by buying another soon to be condemned building that has been recently repainted.

It's just short term fix after short term fix.

To be fair, modern day fans won't let anyone build anything unless they get it right first time.

The fan now pays too much money for their football and demands instant, or practically instant, success.

Managers don't have the luxury of knowing they have 2 or 3 seasons to bed a team in. Ron is brilliant when it comes to manager loyalty, but the fans are less forgiving. Mark my words - if we have a bad run now through September, most of the crowd will be calling for PB's head.

And to be fair, with signings like Ferdinand (who gave us a pretty good season last year), Turner, White and Kiernan, I would have thought that was a solid defensive foundation. The fact that they are all injured PLUS Coker is out for the long term and Demitriou is away on International duty isn't anyone's fault.

To be fair, modern day fans won't let anyone build anything unless they get it right first time.

The fan now pays too much money for their football and demands instant, or practically instant, success.

Managers don't have the luxury of knowing they have 2 or 3 seasons to bed a team in. Ron is brilliant when it comes to manager loyalty, but the fans are less forgiving. Mark my words - if we have a bad run now through September, most of the crowd will be calling for PB's head.

And to be fair, with signings like Ferdinand (who gave us a pretty good season last year), Turner, White and Kiernan, I would have thought that was a solid defensive foundation. The fact that they are all injured PLUS Coker is out for the long term and Demitriou is away on International duty isn't anyone's fault.

Ferdinand, White and Turner are a foundation for a year at most. Kiernan's at least a player who could still be playing for us in two or three years' time (or earn us a transfer fee).

We can build with Kiernan, but the other three are only going to be temporary fixes. Having experience can be good but there's no balance between youth and experience as it's leaning far too far towards experience.

A good manager should be able to improve young players, not be reliant on players already coached up.

Ferdinand, White and Turner are a foundation for a year at most. Kiernan's at least a player who could still be playing for us in two or three years' time (or earn us a transfer fee).

We can build with Kiernan, but the other three are only going to be temporary fixes. Having experience can be good but there's no balance between youth and experience as it's leaning far too far towards experience.

A good manager should be able to improve young players, not be reliant on players already coached up.

To be fair to John White he has been with us for quite a long time now.

But the best teams are a blend of youth and experience. We have an exciting blend actually... the injuries are way beyond what we would have been reasonably expected to endure and no L1 side could have a squad that could cope with losing 7 or 8 first teamers.

I still don't see how anyone outside the management team at the club knows for definate that the budget has been destroyed...? Any more than anyone can look at the scruffy individual turning up at a car dealers, assume they don't have a pot to pee in and then he/ she pays cash for a brand new top of the range car - or the designer clad individual who lives the life, yet frequently raids the kids piggy bank to pay a £2 parking fee... there is far too much speculation, assumption and judgemental crap going on in this thread for my liking! :nope:

Bottom line is, we have a really decent squad, with a wealth of talent and experience, so despite my many misgivings about PB he has done a fantastic job of attracting some really good players to sign for us, and some of these players are very likely to be earning far less than the figures being paraded as fact. Some of these players are only going to be around for a year, and some for several years, but isn't that football? And even if the reports are true, does it really matter if the club has agreed expensive terms with a player and this is affordable? We have a bit of an injury crisis right now, which doesn't help, and we haven't had the best of starts to the season. But if we don't sign anyone today, in the bigger scheme of things that doesn't mean we can't afford to bring anyone else is, or that have destroyed the budget, or that no one wants to play for us.... it will just mean we haven't signed anyone!!

Ron has splashed the cash on players looking at one final pay off...yes these guys have played at higher levels.

Thus far the returns have been

15th in league
Cup exit
Thrashed 5 0
Gills couldn't score yet managed 5 against us
1 win in 6
No clean sheets
conceded 14 so far

If we assume we go up then some of these on long deals won't be good enough,however if we dropped down then we have a few high earners playing league 2.....assume Ron sacks Phil at some point,the new gaffer has nothing but old dudes on long expensive contracts.

crazyworldofsufc

I still don't see how anyone outside the management team at the club knows for definate that the budget has been destroyed...? Any more than anyone can look at the scruffy individual turning up at a car dealers, assume they don't have a pot to pee in and then he/ she pays cash for a brand new top of the range car - or the designer clad individual who lives the life, yet frequently raids the kids piggy bank to pay a £2 parking fee... there is far too much speculation, assumption and judgemental crap going on in this thread for my liking! :nope:

Bottom line is, we have a really decent squad, with a wealth of talent and experience, so despite my many misgivings about PB he has done a fantastic job of attracting some really good players to sign for us, and some of these players are very likely to be earning far less than the figures being paraded as fact. Some of these players are only going to be around for a year, and some for several years, but isn't that football? And even if the reports are true, does it really matter if the club has agreed expensive terms with a player and this is affordable? We have a bit of an injury crisis right now, which doesn't help, and we haven't had the best of starts to the season. But if we don't sign anyone today, in the bigger scheme of things that doesn't mean we can't afford to bring anyone else is, or that have destroyed the budget, or that no one wants to play for us.... it will just mean we haven't signed anyone!!

A sensible, reasoned, balanced view of things. Security!

Because mrsblue said so...

From Chris P on Twitter:

Brown says Harry Kyprianou and Dan Matsuzaka are in his thoughts. Also thinks Michael Timlin could play centre-back.

Brown said it was still too early to know how badly Anton Ferdinand and John White were injured. Says they're 50/50 for Saturday.

Brown: "We could have the under 18 defence playing on Saturday."

Brown: "I am looking at defenders now but I'm fully aware of the fact I've spent a large chunk of the budget in that area already."

An honest assessment from PB re the budget.

That's ruled those two out then

Excellent post, agree completely.

crazyworldofsufc

#madasaboxoffrogsworldofmrsblue

Back