• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I find the injury thing fascinating especially given Phils comments about the training regime being too tough. I was enlightened by fellow scribers on here who ,in turning up to view training ,were staggered to find how brief it was, also referencing few if any players bothering to stay behind to fine tune skills.
Our past seasons IN PART have been hampered in my view by 1. Getting players in late and 2. The injuries scenario.
Weve had the debate on here about the benefits of early signings which Phil himself subscribes to the wisdom of, but we just dont pull it off, and have the distinction of always being the last to get players in and settle a squad. It seems to be a bit about hanging on for that late Championship signing?
In some senses Phil might be right about the training, especially at the beginning of the season. Footballers unlike other athletes do have a break. Research suggests, despite their so called personal summer training regimes, the break is not good for them. Not every one keeps up the regime for a start. The earlier you are brought in the less likely of breakdown.
The above Football league research also looked at the past 5 years of injuries. This they found a significant distinction between types of injury between older and younger players. In the most youthful impact injuries occurred more often, even bones had not fully grown. In the older players, hamstring injuries were by far the most common, especially after the Summer break.Getting them in earlier and training reduced the risk.
The study also concluded that it would be unwise if you were going for a smaller squad to effectively bring in the older player, given the high risk of injury. Perhaps we didnt read the research?

MAF regularly took videos of himself running over the summer. I don't think it's as clear cut as age, more a culture thing?

MAF regularly took videos of himself running over the summer. I don't think it's as clear cut as age, more a culture thing?

Potentially culture agreed, MAF comes across as a true pro so no surprise he's still in great shape for his age.

No promotion is not out of the question. Injuries have bedeviled our early season, much like last seaon. Is this PB fault, well yes and no, its not his fault that Coker has a broken leg, or that Knightly has gone down with problem, or that Wordsworth cant seem to start a season on time, but it is his fault that he signed two centre backs that had no background of fitness on the previous season, couple that with a centre back AF who looks like he may brake down at any minute, you have team on the edge. who would have thought that White would have been our best player over the opening weeks.

I think there is some sense in that research. I do believe that we came back to pre-season far too late. I think it was only 5 weeks, and at least one week if not two weeks after everyone else.

A lot of these injuries could have been avoided by easing the players in a bit more over the extra couple of weeks, or the injuries would of happened earlier and effected pre-season, and not the real season.

The research also indicated That there is a notable increase in pre season injuries over the past two seasons linked to taking a break.
That teams with smaller squads ( like us) suffer more
That 70% of injuries are NON CONTACT
That older players are ( Unsurprisingly ) more prone to injury and younger players suffer less, although collect more impact injuries ( enthusiasm, charging in )

Over the 2 year period the research indicated the following total list of injuries across the Premier and Football league

Hamstring Knee Ankle Illness Groin Calf

150 119 101 72 60 40

So our club could have done better on the timing and nature of recruitment and training, whilst considering the ramifications and consequences of having a smaller squad

The research also indicated That there is a notable increase in pre season injuries over the past two seasons linked to taking a break.
That teams with smaller squads ( like us) suffer more
That 70% of injuries are NON CONTACT
That older players are ( Unsurprisingly ) more prone to injury and younger players suffer less, although collect more impact injuries ( enthusiasm, charging in )

Over the 2 year period the research indicated the following total list of injuries across the Premier and Football league

Hamstring Knee Ankle Illness Groin Calf

150 119 101 72 60 40

So our club could have done better on the timing and nature of recruitment and training, whilst considering the ramifications and consequences of having a smaller squad

I disagree that older are more prone to injury than younger players (certaintly between the age of 18-35 anyway); it may take an older player longer to recover, but I think certain people are more prone to injuries, rather than it being about age

So is this starting to get a little bit silly where turner and kiernan are concerned, turner got a slight hamstring tear 10 weeks ago!!! Wouldn't be surprised if Coker came back from a broken leg before him

Are both,Kiernan, Turner training to any degree, or are they both just laid up. Just wondering how long it would take either of them to get match fit.

Potentially culture agreed, MAF comes across as a true pro so no surprise he's still in great shape for his age.

I think he is extremely disciplined, I have noticed at club events like the sponsors evening and the end of season gala that he is drinking water whilst the rest of the squad are enjoying a "proper" drink

Does anyone know when Michael Turner last played a competitive match for a first team? The last mention I can find of him playing was on loan at Sheffield Wednesday in December 2015.
Has he played since?

On a positive note and while we have the opportunity for a third win in a week!! Look at how strong we "could" be with Coker, Turner, Kiernan and Kightly available for selection!! Champions!!???

I said a while back I can't see Turner ever playing for us. A supposedly minor injury & he's never been heard of since, and I assume we're paying him throughout this. The guy can't help getting injured but surely we need to come to an agreement & cancel his contract. No employer has to continue paying someone indefinitely who can't perform their duties. And once Kiernan is fit we'll have at least 4 CB's to choose from so its not like he's desperately needed now.

So last season Michael Turner played not a single minute in the league, two League Cup games and a game for the U23's.
He would be a real asset if he played - but this suggests he may not play too often. He has not appeared in a winning team for nearly three years.
On the plus side - once fit he should have plenty of energy!!

You would like to think that we take out insurance coverage in the event that a player is repeatedly or injured and that he can be paid up and retire and we can stop paying wages.

Could that be a question for the Supporters Meeting?

You would like to think that we take out insurance coverage in the event that a player is repeatedly or injured and that he can be paid up and retire and we can stop paying wages.

Could that be a question for the Supporters Meeting?

id be surprised if we didn't have appropriate insurance.

id be surprised if we didn't have appropriate insurance.

Yep, agreed.

Actually can't remember the last player who had to retire due to injury whilst with us - any ideas?

I am guessing that is down to the improved medical support that we and other clubs are now providing.

Yep, agreed.

Actually can't remember the last player who had to retire due to injury whilst with us - any ideas?

I am guessing that is down to the improved medical support that we and other clubs are now providing.

Mike Marsh would be my guess.

Back