• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The money in football

No it's not, it's my opinion from being a long-time follower of football, so who's talking ********** now, eh? As for 'earn and 'talent', really now, are we talking of the same sport ? My opinion again.

I never really understand why people jump on footballers.

Andy Murray is worth over 60 million, just hits a tennis ball about a bit.

During the Olympics in 2012 we got told how our Olympic heroes were so much better because they did it for the sport only. Then as soon as they were famous enough they all started making ads for banks etc to get as much money as possible. Ennis-Hill, Farrah, the cyclists are all multi millionaires. Nothing wrong with it, thats the way it is.

Then you have the likes of someone like Ricky Gervais. Does he "earn" his money? He isnt down the mine, he is just standing on a stage saying the same thing every night, yet will earn far more on this latest tour than most footballers ever will.

Dont get me started on Youtube, pewdiepie a guy who talks nonsense in videos made over $120 million!! in the last 7 years.

Whatever field you are in, if you are in the top elite and can help generate income you will get paid for it.

Might possibly have something to do with this is a football-related forum hence relevant opinions are aired accordingly, just a wild guess and all.

Likewise there are a lot of winners in sports who don't make bundles of dosh and there are umpteen footballers in the top-elite who don't play to their peak every game (some rarely get off the bunch) and/or never win anything with their club during a season but still get paid rather well anyway. Whether they merit (earn) what they are paid I feel is a moot point.

Have no time for Murray though he has had to play and win a game or two even the odd tournament for some of his vast wealth.

Issues such as players or their pay, are always good for a bit of debate.....

Wasn't talking just about the forum. Footballers salaries always get overly scrutinised everywhere, but other sportsmen earn plenty and the likes of comedians and Youtubers can earn huge amounts yet there's never a talk of greedy youtubers.

Wasn't talking just about the forum. Footballers salaries always get overly scrutinised everywhere, but other sportsmen earn plenty and the likes of comedians and Youtubers can earn huge amounts yet there's never a talk of greedy youtubers.
I think the lack of debate on youtubers earning a fortune for talking ***** is because there is unlikely to be anyone stating they are worth it. Their money comes from sponsorship so not directly from those consuming their posts. If football is awash with money why are the consumers expected to pay so much to watch it live, watch it on TV or show support with a replica shirt?
Each of those fans would ditch their job and play for £20k a year if given the chance. Its crazy for players to be paid so much to do the dream job and fans to be priced out and numerous clubs spending money they don't have to facilitate the transfer fees and wages. It's a very poor economic model.

I think the lack of debate on youtubers earning a fortune for talking ***** is because there is unlikely to be anyone stating they are worth it. Their money comes from sponsorship so not directly from those consuming their posts. If football is awash with money why are the consumers expected to pay so much to watch it live, watch it on TV or show support with a replica shirt?
Each of those fans would ditch their job and play for £20k a year if given the chance. Its crazy for players to be paid so much to do the dream job and fans to be priced out and numerous clubs spending money they don't have to facilitate the transfer fees and wages. It's a very poor economic model.

Sorry but just because it might be a dream job doesnt mean its crazy to get paid for being good at it.

Youtubers dont charge people to watch, so thats fair enough, but they still earn a fortune and dont "earn it" which is what people were saying above. That somehow a footballer needs to do more to earn his money. Just pointing out there are plenty of other massive earners out there who do less.

What about the likes of Ricky Gervais/Mickey Flanagan etc who do charge big amounts for people to go and see them. Gervais is very wealthy, why is he charging people to watch him do his dream job?

The economic model in football is as good as the money coming and and going out, if the clubs earn X amount and pay out Y amount and dont go bust its working.

AS for this comment

If football is awash with money why are the consumers expected to pay so much to watch it live, watch it on TV or show support with a replica shirt?

Football is awash with money because of all those things. If consumers didnt pay to for all that there would be no money.

Are fans actually being priced out anyway? The season ticket at West Ham is lower than ours. Doing a quick search and whilst you get the likes of Arsenal there are plenty of clubs charging £500 mark and some charging less.

Its crazy for players to be paid so much to do the dream job.

some players don't even like playing football. mad isn't it?

in a pure market - the price equals demand = supply. The top earners reflect the limited supply of talent. Football is a huge market and as such the most talented/in demand earn the most wages. It's quite simple economics.

Sorry but just because it might be a dream job doesnt mean its crazy to get paid for being good at it.

Youtubers dont charge people to watch, so thats fair enough, but they still earn a fortune and dont "earn it" which is what people were saying above. That somehow a footballer needs to do more to earn his money. Just pointing out there are plenty of other massive earners out there who do less.

What about the likes of Ricky Gervais/Mickey Flanagan etc who do charge big amounts for people to go and see them. Gervais is very wealthy, why is he charging people to watch him do his dream job?

The economic model in football is as good as the money coming and and going out, if the clubs earn X amount and pay out Y amount and dont go bust its working.

AS for this comment

Football is awash with money because of all those things. If consumers didnt pay to for all that there would be no money.

Are fans actually being priced out anyway? The season ticket at West Ham is lower than ours. Doing a quick search and whilst you get the likes of Arsenal there are plenty of clubs charging £500 mark and some charging less.
Personally I don’t see how it’s justifiable that someone who plays football / tell jokes / plays music for a living is paid thousands of times the salary of someone who will look after my Nan in an OAPs home. It always seems to be the jobs people least want to do that give the least financial rewards
I also don’t really agree with the argument that because we physically pay the prices be asked, that makes the prices justified. Many people are priced out of football. I’m not poor but I have 3 teenage kids and funds impact on how often I attend. Even at our level how can Gillingham fans justify their league prices to away fans for what is on offer? And yet if you can get to the game you feel you should show loyalty and go. It’s that loyalty that accounts for a lot more of football’s income that people feeling that they are getting value for money.
Arguably the player’s wages are largely paid for from TV money – and the prices Sky pay will be directly impacted by the prices Sky charge.

I have no interest in boxing, motor racing or golf and little interest in tennis so don’t pay much attention to where that money comes from, but I can’t believe any justification for a football club paying £100m for one player – that reduces my interest in top flight football.

some players don't even like playing football. mad isn't it?

in a pure market - the price equals demand = supply. The top earners reflect the limited supply of talent. Football is a huge market and as such the most talented/in demand earn the most wages. It's quite simple economics.
housing, public transport, football, cigarettes. First two you need to have and outrageous pricing doesn't stop the need, second two some would state as a need and again outrageous pricing will have some effect but people will still see it as a need more than a choice.

Personally I don’t see how it’s justifiable that someone who plays football / tell jokes / plays music for a living is paid thousands of times the salary of someone who will look after my Nan in an OAPs home. It always seems to be the jobs people least want to do that give the least financial rewards
I also don’t really agree with the argument that because we physically pay the prices be asked, that makes the prices justified. Many people are priced out of football. I’m not poor but I have 3 teenage kids and funds impact on how often I attend. Even at our level how can Gillingham fans justify their league prices to away fans for what is on offer? And yet if you can get to the game you feel you should show loyalty and go. It’s that loyalty that accounts for a lot more of football’s income that people feeling that they are getting value for money.
Arguably the player’s wages are largely paid for from TV money – and the prices Sky pay will be directly impacted by the prices Sky charge.

I have no interest in boxing, motor racing or golf and little interest in tennis so don’t pay much attention to where that money comes from, but I can’t believe any justification for a football club paying £100m for one player – that reduces my interest in top flight football.

Its because anyone can look after your Nan, only a limited amount of people can be professional footballers or comedians who can sell out arenas around the world. (or knobs who talk about computer games on youtube earning 120m in 7 years!)

Its not about the worthiness of the job that defines its monetary value but the ability to do it and thus the demand and supply.

Just for the record, I think 100m for a player is ridiculous too, but the money is there and if they choose to spend it more fool them. Despite that I dont see how its a big problem, If you want to go to a West Ham game you can go for £25-£30 for most games (Cat A are more). I take the family to Southend games for about the same price as a cinema trip. A concert ticket or trip to the theatre is considerably more expensive (depending on who you see)

housing, public transport, football, cigarettes. First two you need to have and outrageous pricing doesn't stop the need, second two some would state as a need and again outrageous pricing will have some effect but people will still see it as a need more than a choice.

the difference is the amount of public need rather than consumer demand. Houses are a basic need, but financed over a longer period (limited supply plus ageing population = price rises). Public transport is not necessarily a basic need, more a part of infrastructure which needs both public and private investment so the market is skewed. (Plus of course the demand model is skewed due to competition, working from home, etc etc).

Basically you can't compare like for like.

Rather a rash opener there, JM, and anyone can play football and be a professional. The England millionaires on Monday night failed to attract a full house, could it possibly be that people are just a tad fed up witnessing inept performances all too frequently from these high-paid talented Prem League stars ?

To be fair to comedians they know they have to perform at their job well or they won't have a career, a professional footballer is somewhat cushioned and lives in a comfort zone created by their club. However well or poorly they play they get paid and will continue to get paid until their contract either expires or is renewed. Tough old life. On top of which they get even more dosh if signing a new contract.....the poor impoverished mites.

There's the rub, how do you gauge player 'ability', is it to be based solely upon size of pay packet ? Example, I wouldn't cross the road to watch the dull and uninspiring Henderson in action but the Liverpool faithful seem to think him terrific. On
what basis is he worth his pay-cheque and what has his team achieved in recent times?

Rather a rash opener there, JM, and anyone can play football and be a professional.

Anyone? The percentage of lads who make it, compared to those who make a go of it (not to mention the millions of us who realised aged about eight that we better re-adjust our dreams) is absolutely tiny.

Rather a rash opener there, JM, and anyone can play football and be a professional. The England millionaires on Monday night failed to attract a full house, could it possibly be that people are just a tad fed up witnessing inept performances all too frequently from these high-paid talented Prem League stars ?

To be fair to comedians they know they have to perform at their job well or they won't have a career, a professional footballer is somewhat cushioned and lives in a comfort zone created by their club. However well or poorly they play they get paid and will continue to get paid until their contract either expires or is renewed. Tough old life. On top of which they get even more dosh if signing a new contract.....the poor impoverished mites.

There's the rub, how do you gauge player 'ability', is it to be based solely upon size of pay packet ? Example, I wouldn't cross the road to watch the dull and uninspiring Henderson in action but the Liverpool faithful seem to think him terrific. On
what basis is he worth his pay-cheque and what has his team achieved in recent times?

Anyone can be a professional football? Er thats not true is it. I could get a job in a care home, I could never play professional football. There are thousands of kids who go through academies every year, all of which are miles better than my sunday league standard, and most of which dont make it despite years of coaching in academies.

As for the second part not true at all, sportsmen have to perform or they get dropped. Any sportsman who doesnt deliver wont have much of a career either.

How do you gauge a player is his performances on his pitch, if a club deems him a good player they will pay him more.

Nope,the only limitation is that 'professional' clubs run a limited number of teams, mainly at different age groups, hence only a limited number can ever progress to fill the numbers in any team, players come into and drop out of the pro-game all the time. Never doesn't apply, that's a mindset.

Could you now, what as exactly and to what standard ? I'm intrigued by the confidence you hold in your health-care abilities.
Hmm, and they all play at their full potential week after week so as to merit their pay? Not so, and you know it.

When a player stops performing regularly what then, even if on the bench or not selected at all he'll still get paid his contract rate but is he still worth his money?

Very interesting tv documentary a few years back on an ex-WHU player, he gave an insight into his life as a pro-footballer. Only when he retired did he realise just how buffered he was by the club from what we'd deem everyday life.

Look like Liverpool will pay £75 million for Southampton's Virgil Van Dijk. It will be a new world record paid for a defender, if the deal goes through.

Back