• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hahaha as if you have never broken the speed limit. Very very rarely do you get stuck behind someone doing the speed limit and the people doing say 30 in a 30 constantly vary between say 25 and 35mph. Trying to drive at exactly 30 is harder than say doing 33ish as you are constantly looking at your dash board and taking your eyes off the road

My missus has always taken the mickey at how slow I drive, often poodle along the A127 at 50/60 mph on the 70mph stretch. Even I have gone faster than 30mph in a 30 mph zone.

Yes I am not going to throw too many stones- I try and keep to limits but still ended up on an awareness course for falling foul of variable limits approaching Dartford tunnel. Also logically the chances of getting caught are a factor of your annual mileage. 4x the annual mileage = 4x the chances of getting caught.

Often the most pious on this subject have never been caught but turn out to do about 3,000 miles a year. i have over the years got 6 points trying to keep to the limits but at the time was doing about 40,000 miles a year (each year for me being 10 years motoring for some).

So who is more perfect
Someone who has only ever received 3 points and does 4k a year
Of someone who has 12 points but does 50k a year?

The former has got 3 points every 4k and the latter 3 points every 12.5k

Note the most frequent way of getting off statistically if your a chief constable is to claim "a momentary lapse of concentration".

I don't look forward to trying to get through the pearly gates- there will be massive crowd congestion due to the perfect never have done anything wrong membership of the zone :-)

He was doing 38 in a 30 for one of them.

Hardly a drama on its own, but according to the article he was driving when banned, which is a far more serious problem. We all speed but I think far fewer would drive when banned.

EDIT Ignore that, looks that whilst he is banned they all happened prior to the ban.

So 65mph in a 50mph, no doubt the A127 and 38 in a 30. Im sure most of us have done that.
Doing 38 in a 30 limit is when you are offered an awareness course below that you'll probably get away with it!
I was told this on such a course(everyone on it was doing 38) more than 38 is a court matter.

When I had a Hillman Imp excess speed wasn't quite the same problem or worry as it was when I had the 3ltr Capri.
I don't know what car Anton had but some are "easier" to be speed aware in than other.
That aside he has been silly and naughty and been caught and punished; hopefully a lesson (or 4) have been learnt AND that any passengers with him will also in future assist him in remaining on the legal side of all limits.
For me, in urban areas then the limit ought to be 20mph.

Shame he doesn't use cruise control on the road and a bit more speed on the pitch instead of other way round.

Just like drink-driving eh?
I would argue that doing 38 at certain times of day or night was safer than doing the speed limit at others like 3 o'clock in the afternoon outside a school! I will drive to the conditions and surroundings, Even at 20 could be too fast on some occasions (Southend seafront). Can't be compared to drink driving!

Everybody is guilty of a heavy foot once in awhile, even if accidentally. Some people really need to get off their high horse.

Salary has to be disclosed now because fines are set at a proportion of your weekly wage. I don't think overtime and bonuses are taken into consideration, just the basic weekly salary net of tax and NI.

From the papers at the time the new rules came in...

All of the bands have a starting limit, which is a percentage of your weekly income. However, this can be increased or decreased depending on the circumstances, which are explained below.

The starting point for a Band A fine is 50pc of weekly income but this could vary between 25pc and 75pc. For Band B offences fines vary between 75pc and 125pc.

The most serious offenders who are hit with a Band C fine will be charged 150pc of their relevant weekly income, which could rise to 175pc or fall to 125pc.

The fine is capped at £1,000, or £2,500 if you're caught speeding on the motorway. The charges are calculated based on your income after tax and national insurance deductions.

Anton's offence carries a Band A tariff so he got a standard fine based on a disclosed weekly wage of £690.
so if you out of work and earning nothing ,you fine is nothing.Or retired and no earnings ,no fine:smile:

Everybody is guilty of a heavy foot once in awhile, even if accidentally. Some people really need to get off their high horse.
It's hardly once in a while is it, FOUR times caught in a short period of time. If you are caught that often it suggests to be that you are driving too fast most of the time. I would even question if he knew a ban was coming up and spoke to his solicitor who told him "don't worry your ban will run concurrently if you get caught again" and he has decided not to give a damn

It's hardly once in a while is it, FOUR times caught in a short period of time. If you are caught that often it suggests to be that you are driving too fast most of the time. I would even question if he knew a ban was coming up and spoke to his solicitor who told him "don't worry your ban will run concurrently if you get caught again" and he has decided not to give a damn

He probably just thought Southend would get the points

On another Ferdinand related matter did anyone else spot him raising his hand to a Blackpool player on Saturday just in front of the East Stand green seats area. It looked as if he was patting the guy on the cheek after they clashed in a tackle. I remember immediately looking at the ref to see if he would take action. To be fair, the opposing player didn't react in any way.

I am sure Anton has made a good living over the course of his career without ever hitting the jackpot. A £2,500 fine is a considerable sum to a player on £690 basic minus tax - plus bonus from a club such as ....hmmmm Southend United.
Certainly a blow at an already difficult time.

Back