• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jacob Rees-Mogg

There was an item on the BBC website the other day to the effect that 50% of the UK population have no religous beliefs whatsoever.

Yet still probably put CofE down on a form.

Think I read somewhere it was slightly higher than that....not sure if that is replicated in MP's though?

I'd imagine most MPs were privately educated and I'd imagine they still have a Christian religious element in there somewhere.

I was more thinking from a binary political choice....Corbyn has enjoyed popularity it would appear amongst younger voters, and has successfully tapped into that demographic via Glastonbury etc.

I think the Labour movement has had success over may years in engaging young people via music....all the way back to Red Wedge in the 80's....and to a certain extent the two tone movement prior to that.

I can only see Rees Mogg at a Classic FM concert however.
I would quite like someone with Jacob's 'vibe' to lead the Tories and have a real distinction between the two leaders. May is just....I'm not sure she knows what she is about, she just kind of ended up there by default, she doesn't have anything remotely resembling a USP.

Momentum is very much part of the rise of Corbyn, and I think some of Jacob's advocates have half an eye of replicating something like that movement. I doubt it could ever be on anything like the same scale though. And no, I can't envisage Jacob crowd-surfing!

Though unelecatble now with those views atleast he is honest to the public about his belief's not like half the other clowns who just say whatever they think the public want to hear

I would quite like someone with Jacob's 'vibe' to lead the Tories and have a real distinction between the two leaders. May is just....I'm not sure she knows what she is about, she just kind of ended up there by default, she doesn't have anything remotely resembling a USP.

Momentum is very much part of the rise of Corbyn, and I think some of Jacob's advocates have half an eye of replicating something like that movement. I doubt it could ever be on anything like the same scale though. And no, I can't envisage Jacob crowd-surfing!

This is starting to make me think that actually Rees Mogg may make a better leader than May, certainly in terms of a festival audience....or indeed an audience of any kind.

Here is my evidence;

Running through wheat fields...poor behaviour by anyones standards...lord alone knows how she would behave in the mud of Glastonbury.

Inability to perform a mexican wave - its not a big ask of anyone to perform synchronised bodily movement...albeit YB and MK may disagree on this...having seen both of them dance.

General dullness - nothing about the woman is even mildly entertaining.

This is starting to make me think that actually Rees Mogg may make a better leader than May, certainly in terms of a festival audience....or indeed an audience of any kind.

Here is my evidence;

Running through wheat fields...poor behaviour by anyones standards...lord alone knows how she would behave in the mud of Glastonbury.

Inability to perform a mexican wave - its not a big ask of anyone to perform synchronised bodily movement...albeit YB and MK may disagree on this...having seen both of them dance.

General dullness - nothing about the woman is even mildly entertaining.
I think he is a lot more 'watchable' than May. For me she is anti-politics, rarely says anything of note, rarely says anything that sounds like it is true, rarely answers a question - its almost like she is a plant to reduce interest in politics, de-franchising the public by sapping the life out of democracy.

Yet still probably put CofE down on a form.

Ha! I can remember putting a line across the religion box in an application for a teaching job in the UK, back in the 70's.

The " helpful" Headmaster of the school concerned, actually wrote back to me saying I should have put C of E in the box.Needless to say I didn't get the job.:facepalm:

Ha! I can remember putting a line across the religion box in an application for a teaching job in the UK, back in the 70's.

The " helpful" Headmaster of the school concerned, actually wrote back to me saying I should have put C of E in the box.Needless to say I didn't get the job.:facepalm:

Not a situation confined to the 70s, I'm afraid. I went for interview to be the finance manager at a Catholic school about a decade ago, and was asked a question about how I felt about the school's religious ethos. All very carefully phrased, of course, but with what I felt was quite a clear implication that the successful candidate would be Catholic.

Didn't lie about my atheism, didn't get the job. Very probably because there was a more experienced candidate than me, but it was annoying nonetheless to be left with the lingering doubt.

Not a situation confined to the 70s, I'm afraid. I went for interview to be the finance manager at a Catholic school about a decade ago, and was asked a question about how I felt about the school's religious ethos. All very carefully phrased, of course, but with what I felt was quite a clear implication that the successful candidate would be Catholic.

Didn't lie about my atheism, didn't get the job. Very probably because there was a more experienced candidate than me, but it was annoying nonetheless to be left with the lingering doubt.

An uncle-in -law of mine used to work at the Catholic Our Lady of Lourdes school as a caretaker.He certainly wasn't a Catholic.Even managed to get his daughter-my cousin-in there as a pupil too.

I had a similar situation with a Catholic School that is 1 minute walk from my house - got the application form for a finance role, met all of the criteria, last question on the application form was about how the applicant would fit in with the ethos of the school, I binned it rather than waste anyone's time.

Talking of people who got into trouble this week for expressing 'unpopular' views - Rusty has started following me on twitter!

Back