• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

woke up at 5 to get the last session and I'm glad I did! Fair play to Vince, thought he would be useless but he looked very good, Malan is going along nicely as well, very glad to be wrong about the both of them so far. Only had 3 balls from the new ball. testing 1st session tomorrow, but it would be great if we can keep them in the field all day again.

Thought Stoneman and Vince played really well on the first day at the Gabba against some hostile bowling, they both played some lovely shots. Vince was finally undone by a great piece of fielding by Lyon with a direct hit of the wicket to be run out. Loved Ali's attack of Lyon's spin to hit him for six. :smiles:

Yes I did try to stay awake and watch it all night but kept nodding off. :look:

Thought Stoneman and Vince played really well on the first day at the Gabba against some hostile bowling, they both played some lovely shots. Vince was finally undone by a great piece of fielding by Lyon with a direct hit of the wicket to be run out. Loved Ali's attack of Lyon's spin to hit him for six. :smiles:

Yes I did try to stay awake and watch it all night but kept nodding off. :look:

Yes me too! I can understand why we were cautious but felt we could have taken Lyon on a bit more and forced them to overuse their quicks. It's a very minor criticism, I think we should be happy with the 1st day and particularly the new guys

The Gabba is a big ground with massive boundaries, it was a beautiful hit and flew 83 yards, more or the same please.

The Ozzie's were moaning that the ball was all wet after it landed in the water. :smile:

I dropped them as well and as much as I want to watch the cricket, I'm not being held to ransom.

Buy a fire TV stick (£24.99 in black Friday sale) and install kodi then you'll get BT sport, so I've heard :winking:

BT Sport were fine when it was £10.99, but whacking it up £18.00 was a bit ridiculous. Especially as I have all my business lines here with BT, so they get around £100.00 from me as it is.

I'm looking into other phone packages, at the moment, to see if there's a better way to make the phone/TV combo work.

Cheers for the tip 'Ricky' as well.

Great to read some of the pessimistic comments here. So it's not just our beloved football team that is their target. Might as well send them home on the next plane it seems. Blimey and this is only day 1.

Great to read some of the pessimistic comments here. So it's not just our beloved football team that is their target. Might as well send them home on the next plane it seems. Blimey and this is only day 1.

Totally agree, some people just like to knock a team, when probably never seen any of the players, just what has been written in the gutter press
Thought today was like watching the old days of Edrich, Luckhurst, Boycott, block the good ball hit the bad ball

Too many want 350+ in a day, sorry that might be the modern approach, but thought England did well considering the inexperience they have out in Oz, will do the confidence good for what will be a baptism of fire over the next weeks
Boxing day 100,000 crowd baying, but if a test down the Barmy army will be heard, come to think of it a test down they will be heard :smile:

OK, so first innings predictions?

I'm going to try and be optimistic as I'm apparently not allowed to have a pragmatic/cautious view on SZ without being criticized.

My prediction is 220/5, 245/6, 280/7, 290/8, 305/9, 309 a.o.

So mine is 309

Yep, I'd take that.

How ironic that after all the concerns about our batting, it's Cook & Root that failed!

Not surprised with Cook failing. I fully expect him to struggle this series against the Aussie seamers. His record in Australia is very poor, that one series where Mitchell Johnson bowled like an unattended hosepipe aside.

That was about as much as we could have hoped from Stoneman, Vince and Malan. I hope to be proved wrong but it's hard to see any of them scoring three figures this series.

Moeen, Bairstow and Woakes will be key. They have a platform and an Australian attack that should start to tire. They'll need to accelerate when they do and pile on the hurt.

Nice steady start on day 1,might nick a total of low 300's which is fine,i understand the forecast is inclement over the next 4 days which could make that total quite juicey. up the Poms.:thumbsup:

270-8. Ouch. :sad:

The strong and steady middle order we were hoping for, seems to have collapsed.

I Can't see Broad, Ball, & Anderson putting much more on the board. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Last edited:
And sadly i wasn't proved wrong :sad:

From 246-4 and unfortunately finished at lunch with England all out for 302. :sad:

I was hoping for us to realistically get around the 370 mark.

We lost 5 wickets for 40 runs. Or if you prefer 6 wickets for 56 runs.

Anyway, lets see now what carnage our bowlers can unleash after lunch!

Up the Poms !!

Update: Australia 7-1 / now 30-2

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Warner Gone!!.. for 26 :happy:

Were back in this game lads!!

Our convicted cousins are 59-3

:thumbsup:

Good spot Andy, but not a particularly good deal in my eyes. We still have to sign up for a 12 month contract.

However 3 of those months in a 12 month contract have no football. So it's basically still 12 months to football fans. In other words, no deal at all.

Also normally the Champions league final, the Europa league final & the Fa Cup final is free to air. As We are out of the Fa Cup (as usual) so that has no interest for me.

The only thing that will make me sign up would be watching Leyton Orient getting spanked week in and week out live on telly.

....Come to think of it.... Wheres my credit card? ........ :smile:

Australia taking control. England fell 7 runs short of my predicted first innings score. I expect Australia to take a 100 run lead into the second innings.

Good spot Andy, but not a particularly good deal in my eyes. We still have to sign up for a 12 month contract.

However 3 of those months in a 12 month contract have no football. So it's basically still 12 months to football fans. In other words, no deal at all.

Also normally the Champions league final, the Europa league final & the Fa Cup final is free to air. As We are out of the Fa Cup (as usual) so that has no interest for me.

The only thing that will make me sign up would be watching Leyton Orient getting spanked week in and week out live on telly.

....Come to think of it.... Wheres my credit card? ........ :smile:

I think that's the problem all-round with BT Sport.

For the money you only really need it for certain blocks of the year.

Maybe they should charge for a bundle style cost (i.e. I could sign up just for The Ashes for £50.00 or something).

20 overs gets them to about 200, then it all depends on what we can do with the new ball. It's still very interesting

Back