• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

Oh McGrath was an absolute beast and ranks right alongside Curtly as the player I feared most when England were batting. Absolute *******.

But there is no way Warne can be left out of any composite England/Australia side. You mention 2005 - I'm still not sure how we managed to nick that win at Trent Bridge once he started rattling through our top order. Real edge-of-the seat stuff. Plus he could hold a bat pretty well.

I only ever felt safe if both of that pair were well away from the action. And even if he wasn't bowling, Warne would snaffle a few in the slips.

Not sure Ryan Harris would quite get in my XI but I like the shout. Could have been a bit different in 2015 if he had been available.

Australia would have won (or at least drawn to retain it) had he been fit. No question about it. England don't score 400 in 100 overs of the first innings twice that series if he's playing. Part of Australia's problem that series was the lack of control. Starc, Johnson and Hazlewood were all going at nearly 4 an over that series. Harris would have given them control and wickets.

Post WWII Australia v England wickets bowling averages (min 50 wickets)

???? 56 at 17.00
Harris 57 at 20.63
McGrath 157 at 20.92
Lillee 167 at 21.00
Alderman 100 at 21.17
Miller 87 at 22.40
Lindwall 114 at 22.44
Warne 195 at 23.25
Davidson 84 at 23.76
Thomson 100 at 24.18
Johnston 75 at 24.24
Johnson 87 at 25.81
McDermott 84 at 26.30

It's a who's who of Australian bowling.

Any guesses (without looking) at who tops that list?

Interesting call on Ryan Harris 'Yorkshire'. His stats are way better than I suspected, I have to say.

On Hammond, Hutton and Hobbs, I think they were all extraordinary players, as indeed anyone is who averages 50+ in test cricket.

As you say, very difficult to split them and maybe I was wrong to say Hammond was unparalleled, in fairness to Hobbs and Hutton.

Richie Benaud?

Nope.

83 at 31.81 for him.

Interesting call on Ryan Harris 'Yorkshire'. His stats are way better than I suspected, I have to say.

On Hammond, Hutton and Hobbs, I think they were all extraordinary players, as indeed anyone is who averages 50+ in test cricket.

As you say, very difficult to split them and maybe I was wrong to say Hammond was unparalleled, in fairness to Hobbs and Hutton.

And Barrington!

But, that's judging them on the cold hard statistics without the benefit of seeing them play and the context of those innings.

As for Harris, I obviously rated him as I included him in the first place, but I didn't realise his stats were that impressive. They are probably better because we only got to see him at his peak. He debuted at 29, so we missed the years when he was still grooving his action and gaining that consistency. We'll probably see that with Hazlewood this winter when he'll be able to maintain that much more control than he did in 2015, which will make him and Starc better bowlers.

Incidentally Matt The Shrimp called it on Ryan Harris

Fair comment on Barrington.

Compton had a good record against Australia, as well, I believe.

That Aussie bowler, just thinking of players who have performed well in Ashes series, could it be Brett Lee?

That Aussie bowler, just thinking of players who have performed well in Ashes series, could it be Brett Lee?

Brett Lee 62 at 40.61 (ouch!)

Although he deserves some (brett?) leeway for that over at Piers Morgan.

Spoiler:  
Let me know if when need some clues or if you're happy to keep guessing until the Ashes if need be

I remember Merv Hughes had a good series with more than 30 wickets and we weren't very good so did he go for many? Just before my time of watching there was Bob Massie with his fantastic debut at Lords but I think he only played the one series. I believe he completely lost his bowling action after an injury and gave up first class cricket

Yep, Massie had that one series and then had an issue with fitness, but moreso confidence when he couldn't swing the ball in home conditions. Never really recovered from that.

On the player that 'Yorkshire' needs, I fancy it to be a pace bowler, as there weren't many medium pacers or spinners that would have that much success. Max Walker springs to mind or Merv Hughes, as 'Rigsby' says, is a good call?

Brett Lee 62 at 40.61 (ouch!)

Although he deserves some (brett?) leeway for that over at Piers Morgan.

Spoiler:  
Let me know if when need some clues or if you're happy to keep guessing until the Ashes if need be
It's not that numpty Stuart McGill is it? Seem to remember him taking a bucketload in 98/99

Australia would have won (or at least drawn to retain it) had he been fit. No question about it. England don't score 400 in 100 overs of the first innings twice that series if he's playing. Part of Australia's problem that series was the lack of control. Starc, Johnson and Hazlewood were all going at nearly 4 an over that series. Harris would have given them control and wickets.

Post WWII Australia v England wickets bowling averages (min 50 wickets)

???? 56 at 17.00
Harris 57 at 20.63
McGrath 157 at 20.92
Lillee 167 at 21.00
Alderman 100 at 21.17
Miller 87 at 22.40
Lindwall 114 at 22.44
Warne 195 at 23.25
Davidson 84 at 23.76
Thomson 100 at 24.18
Johnston 75 at 24.24
Johnson 87 at 25.81
McDermott 84 at 26.30

It's a who's who of Australian bowling.

Any guesses (without looking) at who tops that list?

Had to have a look to see if I'd kick myself, wouldn't have guessed in a million years

Yep, I've cheated and checked, as it was doing my head in.

Looking at the answer, it did kind of jog my memory, but it was of a time when standards on both sides had dropped, due to extenuating circumstances, so wasn't in a stand-out period in Ashes history.

That's my excuse, anyway!

AndyT; said:
Yep, I've cheated and checked, as it was doing my head in.

Looking at the answer, it did kind of jog my memory, but it was of a time when standards on both sides had dropped, due to extenuating circumstances, so wasn't in a stand-out period in Ashes history.

That's my excuse, anyway!
Without looking, but going from your response above was it
  Spoiler:  
Rodney Hogg

Yep, 7 on debut against us in Brisbane, looking back.

His overall test record isn't so good. Something like 120 odd wickets at around 28.00 apiece.

He suffered from no-ball problems after that series, and had back trouble as well. Mind you he did try to punch Kim Hughes whilst on the pitch, so it wasn’t all bad ?

Without looking, but going from your response above was it
  Spoiler:  
Rodney Hogg

Had to have a look to see if I'd kick myself, wouldn't have guessed in a million years

Yep, spot on 'Billericay'

It surprised me, I have to say.

Same here.

I was going to ask those older about how good he actually was, but all but 4 of those wickets were in Australia which wouldn't have been televised over here anyway.

It's times like this that I miss Harry:sad:

Does anyone know if there are highlights available other than on BT Sport?

There was a rumour that the BBC might have some, but I couldn't find any reference.

Aussies have named their squad. The obligatory Marsh is in there and a bit of a scock with Tim Payne getting the wicket keeper slot as he only really started getting talked about in the last few days but apart from that fairly expected and standard.

Back