• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

PS - thread title changed as we will need a general Ashes thread anyway, so we may as well use this one.

So can anyone see us competing in Australia?

Having lived in Perth within walking distance of the WACA I'm happy to see it get one last ashes test as the new ground in Burswood isn't ready yet. Will be interesting to see if the new Perth stadium will be the same kind of fortress for the Aussies that the WACA has been.

I see that Tom Westley, Dan Lawrence and Jamie Porter have all been included in the Lions squad tour of Australia & the West Indies in the new year. :thumbsup:

So can anyone see us competing in Australia?

Having lived in Perth within walking distance of the WACA I'm happy to see it get one last ashes test as the new ground in Burswood isn't ready yet. Will be interesting to see if the new Perth stadium will be the same kind of fortress for the Aussies that the WACA has been.

Can't see them being as dominant there if using a drop in wicket. The WACA wicket makes a huge difference that we just can't cope with. Have ticket to the Saturday of the WACA test which I am looking forward to.

Sounds great.

What was the deal with the new ground, there. I guess they got behind schedule?

Perth Bambi, Perth Shrimper & Prawn, would know better than me, I think the stadium iitself is on schedule and about 98% complete, but the stadium's train station and especially the big footbridge is behind schedule (by about a year?). So, as they currently have no infrastructure in place for large crowds, the WACA was the safe bet.

They officially open on January 21st (for the local population to have a nosey around), however there is a very small possibility that England may play an ODI there on the 28th.

Personally I'd replace Stokes with Plunkett and move those above up one spot, no big deal.
They'll probably go with Overton as a quicker bowler who bats a bit.
I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks there has been an over-reaction.
And my god I envy those who will be in Perth. Last test at the WACA is something I wish I wasn't missing

Apparently Paul Collingwood has a better batting average this season than James Vince - seriously?!?

Perth Bambi, Perth Shrimper & Prawn, would know better than me, I think the stadium iitself is on schedule and about 98% complete, but the stadium's train station and especially the big footbridge is behind schedule (by about a year?). So, as they currently have no infrastructure in place for large crowds, the WACA was the safe bet.

They officially open on January 21st (for the local population to have a nosey around), however there is a very small possibility that England may play an ODI there on the 28th.

Actually I believe they are ahead of schedule so it was only ever hopeful that it might end up being there rather than expected. The stadium will mainly be used for AFL so it was just aiming to be ready before the next AFL season (which has just finished) Early reports are the stadium looks impressive, apparently going to have the biggest screens in the Southern Hemisphere. The footbridge is a problem and will be very delayed (probably not ready until next April/May now I believe) but the stadium will be able to be used (at a reduced capacity at various times) before the bridge is done.

Cheers PB, I knew a local would be more updated than me. My brother lives there, but haven't spoken to him in a while.

I heard they will be hosting a "State of Origin" game there next year? I would sell a kidney for a decent ticket for that. ......For those that haven't ever watched it,... it's generally a cross between Rugby and UFC!! :smile:

To give you a taster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hqREX3L11s

I think the origin game is going to be in 2019 but yes will be pretty epic and I suspect tickets will cost a fortune. They are officially opening the stadium next year with two NRL games (which hasn't gone down well over here as WA no longer has an NRL team)

Actually I believe they are ahead of schedule so it was only ever hopeful that it might end up being there rather than expected. The stadium will mainly be used for AFL so it was just aiming to be ready before the next AFL season (which has just finished) Early reports are the stadium looks impressive, apparently going to have the biggest screens in the Southern Hemisphere. The footbridge is a problem and will be very delayed (probably not ready until next April/May now I believe) but the stadium will be able to be used (at a reduced capacity at various times) before the bridge is done.

I'm assuming it will be the West Coast Eagles ground then or is it being shared with the Dockers as well?

Think it's sad to see the WACA go. The one last place standing from the traditional Aussie test venues. They've done a decent re-furb at Adelaide, but the other three main grounds are horrid looking soulless venues nowadays.

Will miss the huge old scoreboard at the ground. Real iconic landmark at the WACA.

That said, there's never been enough shade from the sun there, which is it's only downfall.

I'm assuming it will be the West Coast Eagles ground then or is it being shared with the Dockers as well?

Will be shared. Although currently there is no deal actually signed so the way it stands there will be no one playing there as the WA football commission don't want to pay as much as stadium operators want. But yes it will be a shared ground. Suspect the Sheffield Shield Cricket games will still be at the WACA but international games and probably BBL games will be at the new stadium.

Good to hear the WACA is staying on and not being demolished. :thumbsup:

72%.

Missed five, including two I should easily have got.

One I don't think I'd have got if I had an hour!

Back